LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
hnasr2001
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 89

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
creating .iso for Centos 6.4-32bit


I downloaded the CentOS-6.4-i386-bin-DVD1.iso and I burned it to a DVD and successfully managed to load the PC.

Next step I mounted the CentOS-6.4-i386-bin-DVD1.iso and copied to a new directory, kickstart. I used the following command to make an .iso file.
mkisofs -o DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T kickstart/

When I burned the .iso file, I am getting the following message - "The Centos disc was not found in any of your CDROM drivers, Please..."
I used growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=/home.../DVD.iso to burn the DVD.

My goal is to add my kickstart file but for now even I can not make a proper Centos DVD.
thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by hnasr2001; 05-13-2015 at 03:29 PM.
 
Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,496

Rep: Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616
before you go any farther 6.4 is unsupported and a year + out of date

grab the current minor version in the 6 series
CentOS 6.6
or the current CentOS 7.1
unless this is very old 32 bit hardware there is no reason not to use the 64 bit OS on modern 64 bit hardware
mirror for the 6.6 iso images
http://mirrors.arsc.edu/centos/6.6/isos/


if you burned the iso " as a image" there would BO NO iso to copy

a "data" dvd can not be used to install a os
you have to use " burn image"


please reread the install instructions on the redhat website
( cent uses the redhat docs )
the RHEL 6.6 install guide
https://access.redhat.com/documentat...ide/index.html
for burning a dvd
https://access.redhat.com/documentat...ing-media.html

if on MS windows i have used "CD-burnerXP" for years ( it runs on win7 64 and burns a dvd image just fine- i have used it on win7 )
https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Last edited by John VV; 05-13-2015 at 06:08 PM.
 
Old 05-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 20,243

Rep: Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463
Regardless of the version the OP is trying to add a kickstart file to the iso image which means it has to be mounted/copied and recreated. When you booted the DVD did you select media check? If so, try skipping this step and hopefully the installation will continue.
 
Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
hnasr2001
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 89

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
before you go any farther 6.4 is unsupported and a year + out of date

grab the current minor version in the 6 series
CentOS 6.6
or the current CentOS 7.1
unless this is very old 32 bit hardware there is no reason not to use the 64 bit OS on modern 64 bit hardware
mirror for the 6.6 iso images
http://mirrors.arsc.edu/centos/6.6/isos/


if you burned the iso " as a image" there would BO NO iso to copy

a "data" dvd can not be used to install a os
you have to use " burn image"


please reread the install instructions on the redhat website
( cent uses the redhat docs )
the RHEL 6.6 install guide
https://access.redhat.com/documentat...ide/index.html
for burning a dvd
https://access.redhat.com/documentat...ing-media.html

if on MS windows i have used "CD-burnerXP" for years ( it runs on win7 64 and burns a dvd image just fine- i have used it on win7 )
https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
I did burn the image. As I said all I am trying to do is to use iso image, mount the image and then again make an iso file. In this process, there is something goes wrong and I am getting an error.

---------- Post added 05-14-15 at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
Regardless of the version the OP is trying to add a kickstart file to the iso image which means it has to be mounted/copied and recreated. When you booted the DVD did you select media check? If so, try skipping this step and hopefully the installation will continue.
I did skip the media check and still getting the same error.

Last edited by hnasr2001; 05-14-2015 at 08:04 AM.
 
Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 20,243

Rep: Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463Reputation: 3463
Ok. Looks like there are some hidden files that are not copied with the cp command that are necessary. look for .treeinfo and .discinfo
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
hnasr2001
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 89

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
Ok. Looks like there are some hidden files that are not copied with the cp command that are necessary. look for .treeinfo and .discinfo
Yes, That was the issue - thanks for pointing it out.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my linuxmint-14.1-mate-dvd-32bit.iso file won't boot rolandl Linux - Newbie 3 04-13-2013 12:51 PM
livecd-creator centos 5.4 some errors while creating ISO and on boot of the ISO niteshadw Linux - Distributions 3 02-21-2013 10:33 PM
Fedora 13 32bit and then Linux Mint 32bit and then Ubuntu 10.04 32bit ciao303 Linux - Newbie 3 08-09-2010 11:03 PM
creating dvd iso out of cd iso(s) + genisoimage error speedhunt3r Linux - Software 0 04-14-2009 03:26 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 32bit ISO steamman Linux - Software 2 07-05-2008 12:00 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration