LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 PM   #1
wayloud
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, Washington
Distribution: Red Hat, OpenBSD
Posts: 33

Rep: Reputation: 15
Anyone offer some good interview questions?


I have moderate Linux experience myself, but must interview some candidates for some Linux Administration positions. I was wondering if anyone out there could offer up some good moderate to advanced Linux administration questions fit for an interview. I think I have all the basic ones I need. I am looking for either "right or wrong" questions, or scenarios. Accompanying answers would also be greatly appreciated, or at least, what you would look for in an answer.

Thanks All
Geoff

Last edited by wayloud; 12-08-2003 at 07:41 PM.
 
Old 12-08-2003, 08:00 PM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917Reputation: 917
Re: Anyone offer some good interview questions?

Quote:
Originally posted by wayloud
I have moderate Linux experience myself, but must interview some candidates for some Linux Administration positions. I was wondering if anyone out there could offer up some good moderate to advanced Linux administration questions fit for an interview. I think I have all the basic ones I need. I am looking for either "right or wrong" questions, or scenarios. Accompanying answers would also be greatly appreciated, or at least, what you would look for in an answer.

Thanks All
Geoff
That's a rather complex task, considering that MANY
things in Linux/Unix are distro dependent ... as I learnt
just the other week RH has even made extensions to
useradd (the -r flag). Commands like tar are out there
in several versions/flavours. How about giving a rough
idea of the environment, and what the tasks in question
would be? Or if asking for tasks is too specific, what are
the machines the admin is going to look after doing?



Best regards,
Tink
 
Old 12-08-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
homey
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,057

Rep: Reputation: 61
I'm going out on a limb here since I see you have Red Hat listed and that is my distro of choice.
I would use mostly command line questions as any Windows user can figure out the click click thingys.

For example...

From the command: chkconfig --list iptables I see that level1 shows iptables as being off. This is a big security problem isn't it? Why or Why not?

Answer: Not a problem as networking is off in level1 and you are not connected to any other machines.

How do I determine the Linux version that I am using?

Answer: uname -r Remember that Linux refers to the kernel

How do I determine the Red Hat version that I am using?

Answer: type the command cat /etc/redhat-release or browse to that directory and view the file directly.

List two commands to find the hardware address of eth0

Answer:ifconfig eth0 and ip addr

List the steps to create a partition using fdisk and format it as ext3


Check around on the forum and I bet you could find a lot of ideas.
 
Old 12-08-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
wayloud
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, Washington
Distribution: Red Hat, OpenBSD
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Re: Re: Anyone offer some good interview questions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinkster
That's a rather complex task, considering that MANY
things in Linux/Unix are distro dependent ... as I learnt
just the other week RH has even made extensions to
useradd (the -r flag). Commands like tar are out there
in several versions/flavours. How about giving a rough
idea of the environment, and what the tasks in question
would be? Or if asking for tasks is too specific, what are
the machines the admin is going to look after doing?



Best regards,
Tink
Hey Tink good point... All Red Hat 9 servers, not logged into X, they are mostly hosting in house apps. Pretty stripped down. Hardened with Bastille. There are 8 boxes for these in particular, and they all have both private and public interfaces for the network. They have no firewall on them, as they are protected by perimeter devices. ummmm... geez that should help. These people will need to have solid administration from a day-to-day aspect. They should be expected to trouble shoot faults, understand syslog info, tweak and tune, and so on. Does that help? The post right above has some good questions. Thanks for the response, I appreciate your time!

-Geoff
 
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 13,655
Blog Entries: 36

Rep: Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844Reputation: 2844
Hi,

Welcome to LQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanelmander457 View Post
Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments
Please look at the original post date. Do not resurrect old threads. Especially that many years and your post not really relevant nor constructive to the original.
Resurrecting old threads this way helps no one.
 
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
SL00b
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: LA, US
Distribution: SLES
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 112Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by homey View Post
I'm going out on a limb here since I see you have Red Hat listed and that is my distro of choice.
I would use mostly command line questions as any Windows user can figure out the click click thingys.

For example...

From the command: chkconfig --list iptables I see that level1 shows iptables as being off. This is a big security problem isn't it? Why or Why not?

Answer: Not a problem as networking is off in level1 and you are not connected to any other machines.

How do I determine the Linux version that I am using?

Answer: uname -r Remember that Linux refers to the kernel

How do I determine the Red Hat version that I am using?

Answer: type the command cat /etc/redhat-release or browse to that directory and view the file directly.

List two commands to find the hardware address of eth0

Answer:ifconfig eth0 and ip addr

List the steps to create a partition using fdisk and format it as ext3


Check around on the forum and I bet you could find a lot of ideas.
Honestly, I don't find the "pop quiz" interviewing method to be helpful at all. You're just checking to see who is good at memorizing things, and typically the people who are good creative, logical thinkers (in other words, the ones you want) are people who ignore memorization except for the stuff they use often, because hey... there's the man pages right there.

Then there's always the problem where someone who isn't that technical ends up using the pop quiz, and the candidate gives a perfectly correct answer that wasn't on the answer sheet. For example, the Linux kernel version could also be obtained from the top line of /var/log/boot.msg. And unless you have 30 interfaces, you can just as easily issue ifconfig without the eth0 argument to get the hardware address. The point is, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

If I'm interviewing an experienced Linux sysadmin candidate, these are the questions I'm interested in:

- What OSs have you supported?
- What application environments did you support?
- What level of troubleshooting/support did you provide to application programmers / DBAs?
- What was your storage solution?
- How did you manage OS patching?
- What was your HA/DR strategy?

This makes it an open format, and what you're looking for is someone who:

- Has demonstrated skills comparable to what you're looking for.
- Can critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of strategies employed at other sites, and can even offer improvements in your own site's current strategies.
- Will honestly acknowledge areas of weakness in their own skill sets, and doesn't try to bullshit.

Granted, I've only ever done it once, but it landed me a top candidate.
 
Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,682

Rep: Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335Reputation: 3335
OHH> Old post.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,985

Rep: Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569
The post I was complaining about has been removed. Therefore, this post has been removed too.

Last edited by dugan; 03-29-2011 at 01:29 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Typical Linux Interview Questions !! hitesh_linux Linux - General 14 11-24-2011 01:40 AM
Good practices as programmer interview candidate? lowpro2k3 Programming 3 10-21-2005 02:15 PM
iptables good practice - 2 questions ddaas Linux - Security 1 05-31-2005 07:09 AM
Good and Some Questions... wcn Linux - Software 2 12-10-2004 05:56 PM
How to ask good questions added to FAQ webtoe LQ Suggestions & Feedback 0 05-12-2003 05:19 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration