LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise
User Name
Password
Linux - Enterprise This forum is for all items relating to using Linux in the Enterprise.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,637

Rep: Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
Please find below my network config:

I think we should start here maybe I'm doing something wrong. How do I detemine that my Xserver is running? I'm able to run other GUI applications with no problems. I installed NetBeans with no issues at all. So what can be so different from installing Oracle?

Thanks
You still haven't responded to a few posts, with suggestions, and said how they work. Your network config has NOTHING to do with this, and you've been given the solution and several suggestions, but are ignoring them.

At this point, I think the best thing for you to do, would be to contact Oracle.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
Vit77
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Distribution: SuSE, RHEL, Mageia
Posts: 132

Rep: Reputation: 17
Dear louisb,

On the Oracle Installation Media, there's a 'Quick Installation Guide', which completely step-by-step explains all the steps you have to perform during the installation.
I'm afraid, you have not read it yet, and there are lots of things you have not performed yet, for example, oinstaller has to be launched under oracle user, not under root.

So, if it seems to you a little bit difficult to install it manually, I would suggest you to install 'Oracle Express 10.2' from RPM package. All you need there is to install it.

I believe, it's going to be the best choice for you.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #18
louisb
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Posts: 193

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
You are being very unfair. I've done everything that was asked of me. I'm simply trying to start with the basics here since nothing else has worked for me. In my last post I've set the display to the IP address of the server that I'm working on.

It appears that my problem is the display of the GUI interface part of the install. I am running the installer logged on as "oracle". I have also created per the instruction the oinstall user and dba group to include the oracle user. I only use the root log-in to set server parameters for display. Should I logon the oinstall userid and run the installer?

Everyone has talked about X server is not running. I seem to have no issue with other GUI applications which suggest to me that Xserver is running. How do I determine that it is running or if the oracle or oinstall userid had access to the Xserver? Maybe that is the next step to address for me. I've tried the commend "xhost +" when I'm logged in as root and I get the message "Can't open display :0". I've posted my terminal session result and commands with previous post.

I aksed that you please work with me to get this working.


Thanks


Thanks
 
Old 04-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,637

Rep: Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
You are being very unfair. I've done everything that was asked of me. I'm simply trying to start with the basics here since nothing else has worked for me. In my last post I've set the display to the IP address of the server that I'm working on.

It appears that my problem is the display of the GUI interface part of the install. I am running the installer logged on as "oracle". I have also created per the instruction the oinstall user and dba group to include the oracle user. I only use the root log-in to set server parameters for display. Should I logon the oinstall userid and run the installer?

Everyone has talked about X server is not running. I seem to have no issue with other GUI applications which suggest to me that Xserver is running. How do I determine that it is running or if the oracle or oinstall userid had access to the Xserver? Maybe that is the next step to address for me. I've tried the commend "xhost +" when I'm logged in as root and I get the message "Can't open display :0". I've posted my terminal session result and commands with previous post.

I aksed that you please work with me to get this working.
Not being unfair at all. We've asked about your local workstation, and you haven't answered, and given explicit commands to run, and you don't say whether or not you've actually RUN them. You posted commands that you did run, which didn't match anything anyone else said. We've suggested you use the console, and contact Oracle. You haven't said if you've done ANY of this, but keep posting things, telling all of us (essentially), that we're wrong.

Since you're confident that it's not an X issue, we'd love to hear your solution when you get it going. I can definitively tell you, though, that your local workstation is having a problem with X, period. You need to fix it, and export your display variable, and it'll work. I've done dozens of Oracle installs using the GUI installer, all have worked fine.

One last time:

- Your local workstation..what is it? Windows or Linux? If it's linux, see my previous post about checking for the --nolisten, and turning it off. If it's Windows, you need X server software, in a working, listening state. If you can't log in to the remote server, and type in "export DISPLAY=<ip address of your local workstation>:0", then type in "xclock", and have it come up - YOUR LOCAL WORKSTATION IS NOT ABLE TO SERVER X SESSIONS. Fix it before moving on.

- On the remote server, log in, "su - oracle", (or oinstall, or whatever is specified in the instructions that you need to read), type in "export DISPLAY=<ip address of your local workstation>:0", the run the installer.

We've all asked you things, but you don't answer us, and give you commands to try, and you don't say if you've run them or not. If you don't like our answers, contact Oracle support, have them walk you through it on the phone. Use the command-line installer (there IS one), go to the console and do it, or hire a consultant.

Last edited by TB0ne; 04-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.
 
Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
louisb
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Posts: 193

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I'm very sorry about your frustations. I never intended to frustate anyone. All of my post have said that I'm running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2. It even says that in title of the post. I also agree that I'm having a problem with my X Windows Server. The issue that I've been trying to address, is what is wrong with my X Windows Server that is causing the installation to fail. And I been asking everyone for things to try in an effort to solve this problem.

I've also shown everything that I've tried during my postings and I've also tried the things that everyone has suggested and shown the results. When I tried to start with the basic you then just cut me off and decided that you where not going to help any more. I'm OK with that. I'll continue to try and seek the help of others. Should you need help some day I will not and hope that other would not treat you the same way you have treated me.

I have found some other things to try from others. I will share with everyone what works.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

Thanks
 
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #21
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,637

Rep: Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
I'm very sorry about your frustations. I never intended to frustate anyone. All of my post have said that I'm running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2. It even says that in title of the post.
That's your SERVER...we've asked about your WORKSTATION, but you've not said anything about it, or are you running RHEL on your workstation too??

Quote:
I also agree that I'm having a problem with my X Windows Server. The issue that I've been trying to address, is what is wrong with my X Windows Server that is causing the installation to fail. And I been asking everyone for things to try in an effort to solve this problem.
And you've been given lots to try, but have NEVER YET said if you've tried them, or what effect they had. In the first post I made to you, I gave you a command to type in, which would tell you if X was running, and if it was listening or not. You either haven't run it, or didn't say what the result was.

Quote:
I've also shown everything that I've tried during my postings and I've also tried the things that everyone has suggested and shown the results. When I tried to start with the basic you then just cut me off and decided that you where not going to help any more. I'm OK with that. I'll continue to try and seek the help of others. Should you need help some day I will not and hope that other would not treat you the same way you have treated me.
Start with the basic? We've given you the exact answers you need, but you've ignored us. We told you to type in "export DISPLAY=<IP Address>:0", and you posted the command as "export $DISPLAY". That's not remotely the same thing. In my first post to you, I gave you the exact answer you needed. Aside from coming there and typing it in for you, what more do you want?

ONE LAST TIME - READ AND FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. On your local workstation, type in "ps -ef | grep listen". If you see a line returned with a "--nolisten" flag, that's your X server, and it's set to NOT ACCEPT X SESSIONS. You have to remove that flag. Another user posted how to do this. You can also add DisallowTCP=false in /etc/gdm/custom.conf to make gdm listen. Reboot the box, and check to make sure the "--nolisten" is gone. UNTIL IT IS GONE, X WILL NOT ALLOW INCOMING SESSIONS, PERIOD.

2. SSH over to the remote server, where you're trying to install Oracle. SU to whatever user you need to, to perform the install. Type in "export DISPLAY=<IP address of your LOCAL WORKSTATION>:0". Run the installer.

That's it. Two steps, easy to follow, that you've been given three times now.

Quote:
I have found some other things to try from others. I will share with everyone what works.
We know what works, and have told you, and you want to complain that we're so 'unfair', and how you'll help us one day? Great...but if I ask someone a question, and they give me an answer, I won't ignore it, then say how unfair they are. You are paying for support from Oracle and RedHat, if you've been having trouble for days, CALL THEM...both/either of them can walk you through this, and Oracle can also tell you how to install it via command line, without X.
 
Old 04-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
louisb
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Posts: 193

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I've tried the solution that you have provided and continue to get the same results. I have included a copy of my /etc/gdm/custom.conf below and I did reboot my system/server after making the changes to this file:

[daemon]
RemoteGreeter=/usr/libexec/gdmgreeter
GtkModulesList=gail:atk-bridge:/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener:/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libdwellmouselistener
AddGtkModules=true
AutomaticLoginEnable=true

[security]
DisallowTCP=false

[xdmcp]
Enable=true

[gui]

[greeter]

[chooser]

[debug]

# Note that to disable servers defined in the defaults.conf file (such as
# 0=Standard, you must put a line in this file that says 0=inactive, as
# described in the Configuration section of the GDM documentation.
#
[servers]

# Also note, that if you redefine a [server-foo] section, then GDM will
# use the definition in this file, not the defaults.conf file. It is
# currently not possible to disable a [server-foo] section defined
# in the defaults.conf file.
#

I have also included the results from the "ps -ef | grep listen"


nobody 4296 4082 0 12:27 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --keep-in-foreground --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file --conf-file --listen-address 192.168.122.1 --except-interface lo --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/libvirt/dhcp-default.leases --dhcp-range 192.168.122.2,192.168.122.254
68 4298 4248 0 12:27 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
68 4302 4248 0 12:27 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-keyboard: listening on /dev/input/event0
root 5528 5035 0 12:38 tty7 00:00:01 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
root 7580 7547 0 13:40 pts/2 00:00:00 grep listen

As you can see from the second line from the bottom I have "-nolisten tcp vt7".

I notice that you continue to talk about a workstation. I'm trying to install Oracle 11g on a RHEL 5.2 x64 server.

I appreciate all of your assistants. I continue to get the same results. Just as you suggested. I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks
 
Old 04-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #23
paulsm4
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: SusE 8.2
Posts: 5,863
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Let's try again:
Quote:
ONE LAST TIME - READ AND FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. On your local workstation, type in "ps -ef | grep listen". If you see a line returned with a "--nolisten" flag, that's your X server, and it's set to NOT ACCEPT X SESSIONS. You have to remove that flag. Another user posted how to do this. You can also add DisallowTCP=false in /etc/gdm/custom.conf to make gdm listen. Reboot the box, and check to make sure the "--nolisten" is gone. UNTIL IT IS GONE, X WILL NOT ALLOW INCOMING SESSIONS, PERIOD.

2. SSH over to the remote server, where you're trying to install Oracle. SU to whatever user you need to, to perform the install. Type in "export DISPLAY=<IP address of your LOCAL WORKSTATION>:0". Run the installer.

That's it. Two steps, easy to follow, that you've been given three times now.
Very good. Progress :-) Thank you for doing this:
Quote:
"ps -ef | grep listen"
nobody 4296 4082 0 12:27 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --keep-in-foreground --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file --conf-file --listen-address 192.168.122.1 --except-interface lo --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/libvirt/dhcp-default.leases --dhcp-range 192.168.122.2,192.168.122.254
68 4298 4248 0 12:27 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
68 4302 4248 0 12:27 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-keyboard: listening on /dev/input/event0
root 5528 5035 0 12:38 tty7 00:00:01 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
root 7580 7547 0 13:40 pts/2 00:00:00 grep listen
Now: two more steps:
Quote:
1. Restart your server without "no-listen" (Do This)
2. Verify that "xclock" works
PS:
Here's a workaround:
http://www.pythian.com/news/654/inst...0-gutsy-gibbon
Quote:
I couldn’t get Ubuntu 7.10 LiveCD Desktop X to accept incoming connections. I traced the problem to /usr/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
That -nolisten tcp must be the culprit.

What I did was start a new X in another display, without access control (in order to make it easier) with sudo X -ac :1.0 &

That way, I could use export DISPLAY=192.168.x.y:1:0 and CTRL+ALT+F9 to see the OUI window.

Last edited by paulsm4; 04-11-2009 at 04:48 PM.
 
Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,637

Rep: Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
I've tried the solution that you have provided and continue to get the same results. I have included a copy of my /etc/gdm/custom.conf below and I did reboot my system/server after making the changes to this file:

I have also included the results from the "ps -ef | grep listen"

root 5528 5035 0 12:38 tty7 00:00:01 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7

As you can see from the second line from the bottom I have "-nolisten tcp vt7".

I notice that you continue to talk about a workstation. I'm trying to install Oracle 11g on a RHEL 5.2 x64 server.

I appreciate all of your assistants. I continue to get the same results. Just as you suggested. I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks
Excellent...progress.

In addition to what paulsm4 said, please re-read some of the previous posts.

We realize you are installing the software to a SERVER, but the WORKSTATION is what's providing the X server. That's why we've asked about it several times, but you've still ignored that question, while acknowledging it's been asked. If you're running Windows on your workstation, there is NO X windows server built into Windows. You will need an X server software package, like Reflections X or Hummingbird eXceed, both of which I mentioned before.

If you are running Linux on your workstation, THAT'S the one that needs the "--nolisten" flag. Until your local workstation is listening for and accepting incoming X connections, it won't work. The "export DISPLAY=<IP Address of your local workstation>:0" command is what tells your server to DISPLAY the X windows stuff on that address.
 
Old 04-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #25
louisb
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Posts: 193

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
There is no workstation being used here. I simply do an "su" to the oracle userid and execute "./database/runInstaller -ignoreSysPrereqs". Here are the results of my last efforts:

[root@cscdserver11 ~]# ps -ef | grep listen
68 4532 4393 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
68 4540 4393 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-keyboard: listening on /dev/input/event0
nobody 4607 4314 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --keep-in-foreground --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file --conf-file --listen-address 192.168.122.1 --except-interface lo --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/libvirt/dhcp-default.leases --dhcp-range 192.168.122.2,192.168.122.254
gdm 5473 5447 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdmgreeter --gtk-module=gail:atk-bridge:/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener:/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libdwellmouselistener
root 5778 5745 0 20:30 pts/1 00:00:00 grep listen
[root@cscdserver11 ~]# ps -ef | grep listen
68 4532 4393 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
68 4540 4393 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-keyboard: listening on /dev/input/event0
nobody 4607 4314 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --keep-in-foreground --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file --conf-file --listen-address 192.168.122.1 --except-interface lo --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/libvirt/dhcp-default.leases --dhcp-range 192.168.122.2,192.168.122.254
gdm 5473 5447 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdmgreeter --gtk-module=gail:atk-bridge:/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener:/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules/libdwellmouselistener
root 5781 5745 0 20:30 pts/1 00:00:00 grep listen
[root@cscdserver11 ~]# pgrep -lf X
4087 Xvnc :1 -desktop cscdserver11.azalea.local:1 (root) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes -auth /root/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait 30000 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5901 -pn
4148 Xvnc :2 -desktop cscdserver11.azalea.local:2 (oracle) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes -auth /home/oracle/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait 30000 -rfbauth /home/oracle/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5902 -pn
4163 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
4166 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
4363 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
4366 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
5450 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth vt7

I continue to have the same problem, however, I'm now getting different message when I perform "xhost". The message is as follows:

[root@cscdserver11 ~]# xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
[root@cscdserver11 ~]# xhost
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
SI:localuser:root

I'm still trying again thanks for your help. I have rebooted the system.
 
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #26
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,637

Rep: Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
There is no workstation being used here. I simply do an "su" to the oracle userid and execute "./database/runInstaller -ignoreSysPrereqs". Here are the results of my last efforts:

I continue to have the same problem, however, I'm now getting different message when I perform "xhost". The message is as follows:

[root@cscdserver11 ~]# xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
I'm still trying again thanks for your help. I have rebooted the system.
Ok...if there's no workstation, how are you connecting to the server in the first place, to DO the "su"??? What are you using?
 
Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #27
louisb
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Posts: 193

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Im signing on to the server locally first at root to the recommended system parameters suggest from Oracle. I've also create the appropriate group and users recommended by Oracle. I then simply do an "su - oracle" to implment the installation. Logged on as the Oracle user I enter the following:

./datbase/runInstaller -ignoreSysPrereqs

At that time the installation starts running and then request that I enter the path of "xclock". I enter "/usr/bin/xclock". I then get the follwing message:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

For some reason I think the GUI window on the local server will not start or connect.


Thanks
 
Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #28
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,637

Rep: Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
Im signing on to the server locally first at root to the recommended system parameters suggest from Oracle. I've also create the appropriate group and users recommended by Oracle. I then simply do an "su - oracle" to implment the installation. Logged on as the Oracle user I enter the following:

./datbase/runInstaller -ignoreSysPrereqs

At that time the installation starts running and then request that I enter the path of "xclock". I enter "/usr/bin/xclock". I then get the follwing message:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

For some reason I think the GUI window on the local server will not start or connect.


Thanks
From the very first post, given by paulsm4:
Quote:
Q: When you first log in, are you running a graphical display?
Are you?? I had also suggested you try to run this from the local console, but you didn't say anything about it.

If you're running RHEL in text-only mode, then X isn't running, so you would obviously not be able to connect. Are you running a GUI, such as Gnome/KDE, or are you in text mode?

And again...there IS a way to install Oracle from the command line, WITHOUT the GUI.
 
Old 04-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #29
louisb
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Posts: 193

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Yes, I'm running a graphical display "GNOME". I'm only running text mode when I open a terminal session. I start the install via command line in a terminal session it then tries to switch into GUI mode and that is when I have the problems. How might I install it via the command line and get the results that I'm looking for such where databases are located when they are created?

I'm very sorry for the confusion and mis-understanding.

Thanks
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #30
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,637

Rep: Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898Reputation: 6898
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
Yes, I'm running a graphical display "GNOME". I'm only running text mode when I open a terminal session. I start the install via command line in a terminal session it then tries to switch into GUI mode and that is when I have the problems. How might I install it via the command line and get the results that I'm looking for such where databases are located when they are created?

I'm very sorry for the confusion and mis-understanding.

Thanks
There wouldn't have been, if you had answered the questions when they were first asked......

If you're running Gnome, but shutting it down to run the installer, that's your problem. You don't have a GUI running anymore, so of course it will fail. Leave Gnome running, and open a terminal window (like xterm). Run the installer from there.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having problem while inatalling oracle 11g kapila_sr Linux - Server 3 03-04-2009 11:58 PM
Install Fedora 8 pacakges for Oracle 11g satbirdhil Linux - Software 1 12-23-2007 03:21 PM
LXer: Install Oracle 11g on HVM VM (CentOS 5) under Xen 3.1 on Debian Etch (x86_64) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-12-2007 09:30 PM
Install Oracle Rac on RHEL 4 on a Dell machine masand Linux - Enterprise 0 01-16-2006 01:00 AM
Least Painful install of Oracle 9 on RHEL 3? colmmagoo Linux - Software 1 07-30-2004 01:28 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration