LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Distributions (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/)
-   -   URGENT Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/urgent-fatal-server-error-no-screens-found-4175673424/)

ronaldobueno81 04-17-2020 09:29 AM

URGENT Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found
 
Hi Guys, I found the desktop version of Debian Etch on http://repo.henio.net/! I'm Happy! Just not. After Installing, I Tried in VMware and Virtualbox, Then the screen is blinking, Then appears this error: "I Cannot Start The X Server", and also appeared like this: "Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found" Can Ayone Help Me Please?

uteck 04-17-2020 09:37 AM

Etch has not seen an update for 10 years, any reason why you are using it and not the supported version?
https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/

ronaldobueno81 04-17-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uteck (Post 6112777)
Etch has not seen an update for 10 years, any reason why you are using it and not the supported version?
https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/

Because I'm Making The Linux Distros Museum in VMware. And Need The DE, From 2001 until 2016 or 2020

sevendogsbsd 04-17-2020 09:59 AM

Back then xorg had to be configured manually. You will probably have to configure xorg yourself using
Code:

Xorg --configure
, which I think generates an xorg.conf file. Been years since I have had to do that.

sevendogsbsd 04-17-2020 10:02 AM

And OP: since this is not your first post about the Linux museum, can you please add that in your original post so people understand what you are doing? Most people will read your posts and immediately think you are installing an ancient version of Linux, then tell you not to because it is unsupported. if you prefaced your posts with 'I am putting together a Linux museum and need to install old versions..." or something to that effect, it would prevent misunderstandings from people trying to help you.

ronaldobueno81 04-17-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd (Post 6112788)
Back then xorg had to be configured manually. You will probably have to configure xorg yourself using
Code:

Xorg --configure
, which I think generates an xorg.conf file. Been years since I have had to do that.

I tried and anyway doesn't work

sevendogsbsd 04-17-2020 11:00 AM

I don't know what hardware the VM software is emulating - entirely possible the emulated hardware is too "new" for that distro to see. When you say "doesn't work", what exactly does that mean, any error messages, is an xorg.conf not created....

ronaldobueno81 04-17-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd (Post 6112815)
I don't know what hardware the VM software is emulating - entirely possible the emulated hardware is too "new" for that distro to see. When you say "doesn't work", what exactly does that mean, any error messages, is an xorg.conf not created....

in fact, I'm using the 1024x768 monitor, the graphics card I think is VESA or VMware itself, which is generic, I'm using hardware compatibility in VMware Workstation 5.x, I'm using the partition type disk is IDE, I'm using the PS / 2 Mouse and I'm using the Generic Keyboard and EN_US. That's why you're giving X.org an error

pan64 04-17-2020 11:07 AM

Yes, most probably the virtualized video driver of the VM is not recognized by the OS. I do not really know how can you config, perhaps a dumb vga display can be configured [manually]. Here you can find a description, but I do not really know if applicable (I hope so): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

ronaldobueno81 04-17-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pan64 (Post 6112820)
Yes, most probably the virtualized video driver of the VM is not recognized by the OS. I do not really know how can you config, perhaps a dumb vga display can be configured [manually]. Here you can find a description, but I do not really know if applicable (I hope so): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

Wait, can this work on old versions of Debian Including Etch?

ronaldobueno81 04-17-2020 11:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd (Post 6112815)
I don't know what hardware the VM software is emulating - entirely possible the emulated hardware is too "new" for that distro to see. When you say "doesn't work", what exactly does that mean, any error messages, is an xorg.conf not created....

here's the complete error:

Attachment 33012 Attachment 33013 Attachment 33014 Attachment 33015 Attachment 33016


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.