Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.


  Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2002, 07:33 AM   #1
LQ Newbie
Registered: Feb 2002
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
RH8, Unicode Font and Term issues with Midnight Commander under remote console


I just installed Redhat 8.0 with a very basic setup, no X or gui packages, just mysql and ftp daemons.

Midnight Commander displays fine on the main Linux console, showing ANSI lines and colors okay. However when I remote console in over SSH using SecureCRT i get a really bad gibberish display.

I tracked that down to the unicode update to Redhat 8.0 and followed the general advice to update my LANG enviroment variable to C. However whilst this gets rid of the ugly characters it replaces them with some nasty color blocks which doesn't look that much nicer. I managed to get it looking normal by updating my TERM variable to dtterm. I no longer have working F1 to F4 keys but everything renders correctly.

I read that you were not supposed to mess with the TERM variable as a general rule. So I also tried changing all the emulation and font settings in SecureCRT to get rid of the blocks and show the lines. This didn't have any effect. The only solution I found was to run MC using the -a flag but this is not something I want to do everytime I use it.

Under RH7.2 I never had this problem (it was a fuller installation mind). Are there any packages or programs that I could be missing that could help or is this just the way it is under RH8.0? Are there any other TERM types that might have the correct display and key mappings? I figure there is something in the termcap I could change but I have no idea what or how to do it


Old 12-28-2002, 09:37 AM   #2
LQ Newbie
Registered: Feb 2002
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

I fixed my own problem Now I am a newbie so please let me know if this is a bad solution.

Anywayz I had already done the /etc/sysconfig/i18n changes and the LANG C update but Midnight Commander was still not showing the correct ANSI lines.

I updated my /etc/termcap file and copied the 'linux|linux console:\' entry to one with a different name. I them copied the following lines from the 'dtterm' entry:


You can look up the definitions for these in the man termcap file.

I then compiled the termcap source into a terminfo database useing tic.

Voila, after updating my .cshrc files to set my term to the new one I had created and sourcing it, everything finally renders correctly and my function keys work again! wheee



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midnight Commander matombo Fedora 3 11-30-2005 12:41 PM
Running midnight commander from console ocgltd Linux - Software 1 09-23-2005 08:40 AM
midnight commander archlyric Linux - Software 2 02-28-2004 02:04 AM
midnight commander enigma1 Linux - Software 6 12-10-2003 02:47 PM
Midnight Commander XPediTioN Slackware 2 07-12-2003 11:45 PM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration