LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Distributions (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/)
-   -   Help Me!! Debian Etch Xorg Install Failed (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/help-me-debian-etch-xorg-install-failed-4175673371/)

ronaldobueno81 04-16-2020 10:35 AM

Help Me!! Debian Etch Xorg Install Failed
 
Hi Guys, I'm Sad, I'm Using Debian 4.0 Etch in VMware Workstation, I'm Making the Linux Distros Museum in VMware and Virtualbox! I Installed the Debian using debian-40r9-amd64-netinst.iso in cdimage.debian.org. I did not find the desktop version, after installing, I'm Logged from root, I was wanting to install the xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xfonts-base xinit \
> --no-install-recommends and Complete GNOME2 Desktop Environment, and appears: xserver-xorg has no installation candidate, Please Help me how to fix this problem or can some of you find the desktop version of debian?:banghead::banghead::banghead::(:(

jmgibson1981 04-16-2020 10:51 AM

Etch was Debian 4.0 basically. They are currently supporting Debian 9 and 10, maybe 8 still (not sure). Stretch / Buster are currently supported. You won't get anywhere with Etch, nor should you risk it being so old and so far out of support and security updates.

Move to old stable Stretch, or current Buster.

This should save you some time searching.

x64

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd...64-netinst.iso

i386

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd...86-netinst.iso

ronaldobueno81 04-16-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgibson1981 (Post 6112444)
Etch was Debian 4.0 basically. They are currently supporting Debian 9 and 10, maybe 8 still (not sure). Stretch / Buster are currently supported. You won't get anywhere with Etch, nor should you risk it being so old and so far out of support and security updates.

Move to old stable Stretch, or current Buster.

This should save you some time searching.

x64

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd...64-netinst.iso

i386

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd...86-netinst.iso

And? I'm doing the Linux museum on VMware and Virtualbox, And I need a desktop environment for that. I also download and install Debian stretch and buster in museum. I'm talking about etch, not those two! I know it is old, but for the museum it needs the graphic environment.

sevendogsbsd 04-16-2020 11:30 AM

And no need to be snarky: mgibson1981 was trying to be helpful. You explained nothing about a "museum" in your first post.

jmgibson1981 04-16-2020 11:30 AM

https://superuser.com/questions/1644...-etch-packages

As long as it's not production you should be ok. You should specify why you need it in first post because anyone will automatically assume you don't know what you are doing. I meant no offense.

michaelk 04-16-2020 11:42 AM

The netinstall ISO file just contains the minimal amount of software to get the computer running and then grabs the rest over the internet. Since the Etch repositories are no longer the installer will fail if I understand the problem.

You can download the jidgo image file for the full DVD and convert it back to an ISO file per the instructions. I think that should work.

https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/

ronaldobueno81 04-16-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd (Post 6112463)
And no need to be snarky: mgibson1981 was trying to be helpful. You explained nothing about a "museum" in your first post.

I'm talking about the linux museum and not the statues museum! is why I forgot to put it, but no offense, I will edit the first post

ronaldobueno81 04-16-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelk (Post 6112468)
The netinstall ISO file just contains the minimal amount of software to get the computer running and then grabs the rest over the internet. Since the Etch repositories are no longer the installer will fail if I understand the problem.

You can download the jidgo image file for the full DVD and convert it back to an ISO file per the instructions. I think that should work.

https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/

bro, thanks! I will try

ronaldobueno81 04-16-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelk (Post 6112468)
The netinstall ISO file just contains the minimal amount of software to get the computer running and then grabs the rest over the internet. Since the Etch repositories are no longer the installer will fail if I understand the problem.

You can download the jidgo image file for the full DVD and convert it back to an ISO file per the instructions. I think that should work.

https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/

I'm sorry, I use windows, but I'm trying to use jigdo on windows and gave this error: 0 [main] sh 1368 sync_with_child: child 8052(0x1CC) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
123 [main] sh 1368 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
jigdo-lite: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

michaelk 04-16-2020 02:06 PM

I've never used jigdo so I am not much help as to why it does not work. You could try it from a live version or a temp install in a virtualbox of a real distribution and copy the results back to Windows. It is not complicated but if you are not all that familiar with linux might be daunting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.