LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #31
billymayday
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122

Having looked at both of these, util-linux looks like something you need and setarch doesn't (http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/setarch8.html).

I'd try removing setarch and see how it goes.

What does anyone else think (you can always reinstall if you absolutely need to).
 
Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #32
Shingoshi
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cochise County, Arizona
Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current
Posts: 474
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 34
You didn't read the last paragraph of my last post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymayday View Post
Having looked at both of these, util-linux looks like something you need and setarch doesn't (http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/setarch8.html).

I'd try removing setarch and see how it goes.

What does anyone else think (you can always reinstall if you absolutely need to).
I clearly stated that setarch should be removed. It really isn't an option, it must be done. So let me repeat myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingoshi
Ok. The solution was found. setarch in now included in util-linux, and can be safely removed to continue with "emerge -e system", which is running now. 98 packages have to be emerged.
Shingoshi
 
Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #33
billymayday
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
Looks to me like you edited while I was responding since your last edit was one minute prior to my post - and it took more than that for me to reply

Edit

regarding following post - no offense taken. Rgds

Last edited by billymayday; 02-16-2008 at 03:39 AM.
 
Old 02-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #34
Shingoshi
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cochise County, Arizona
Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current
Posts: 474
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 34
Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymayday View Post
Looks to me like you edited while I was responding since your last edit was one minute prior to my post - and it took more than that for me to reply
I accused you of not paying attention. Sorry. I could have looked myself to verify the time that you posted that. Again, I'm sorry.

Shingoshi
 
Old 02-16-2008, 03:36 AM   #35
Electro
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,042

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I suggest using the following command as root.

revdep-rebuild --ignore --pretend

This will hopefully fix your setup.
 
Old 02-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #36
Shingoshi
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cochise County, Arizona
Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current
Posts: 474
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 34
Are you referring to the old setup which I have since dropped into a basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
I suggest using the following command as root.

revdep-rebuild --ignore --pretend

This will hopefully fix your setup.
The original setup which I was trying to fix, has been dropped into a folder named ".old" in my root directory. I have since abandoned that old root entirely, and started over with a new stage3. The stage3 I used before was for the hardened-multilib. That was a nightmare. So I decided to start over from scratch, rather than beating my head against the wall. Maybe, just maybe, I'll go back and try to repair that old root later. But right now, I am committed to building the new root from a new (generic) stage3 (I made a mistake here and wrote stage2).

For the purposes that I'm engaging in, I haven't even chosen a different profile, other than what is specified by the default installation of stage3. My present thinking is this. I will use this new root as my build engine. I will use it to construct a stage4 installation. That tarball will then be copied to my functional system, and will then be used for daily operations. But the present build I'm engaged in now, will remain in pristine condition. Meaning I will make no changes (ie. customizations) in it except to add all of the packages I want to use in my working system. I will let conf-update handle all of the changes in /etc. Beyond that, I won't do anything else to it.

I am also thinking that I should start this as a new thread, explaining how to complete this process in detail for new users like myself.

Presently, I'm in the final stages (95 of 98 @ glibc-2.6.1) of running "emerge -e system". When this is done, I will then install the following:
lzma-utils (For my man pages)
cppunit (I will doing a lot of compilations)
distcc
doxygen
ccache
sandbox (This is what started the whole mess in the first place!)
mc (I never work without this.)
gentoolkit-dev (For all the extra functions I will need in the future.)
ufed (Because I really like seeing what I'm doing in a gui.)
conf-update (Same here as above.)
revdeps-rebuild (Required by rebuilding glibc.)

autounmask (Now on to the fun stuff.)
boost (Because most of what I'll be doing in the future, requires this.)

I will be adding more to this as I go along. This probably really ought to be a new thread.

Shingoshi

Last edited by Shingoshi; 02-16-2008 at 11:42 AM.
 
Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #37
Shingoshi
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cochise County, Arizona
Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current
Posts: 474
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 34
You will find the continuation of this off topic thread in this new location.

If any of you are interested in continuing this topic, you will now find it here in this new thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...85#post3059085

I wish to thank all of you for your participation and contributions.

Shingoshi
 
Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #38
Shingoshi
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Cochise County, Arizona
Distribution: Gentoo-AMD64 / Slackware64-Current
Posts: 474
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 34
Here's a link to a question I felt better asked in a new thread.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...45#post3059745

This concerns emerge apparently stating it will remove binutils and groff. That doesn't seem right, and I think it only want to rebuild them for the new use flags I've set.

============================================
starbase64 / # emerge lm_sensors --pretend

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.18-r1 USE="multislot*"
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/groff-1.19.2-r1 USE="X*"
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/lm_sensors-2.10.4 USE="-sensord"
============================================

Please use the above link, and answer this question there and not here.

Shingoshi

NEVERMIND: My assumption was correct that they were only meant to be rebuilt.

Last edited by Shingoshi; 02-16-2008 at 07:20 PM.
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #39
JackTrust
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Use eselect profile list to see common profiles. Profiles are stored in /usr/portage/profiles/, to use them symlink desired one to /etc/make profile.

/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0

If you have working sandbox you can skip the build in emerge -e system/world process, use emerge --skipfirst, you can even come back after emerge -e is finished and try again, it may build then.
You can also live without sandbox, to turn it off permanently add FEATURES="-sandbox" to your make.conf.


@billymayday
Setting FEATURES in make.conf has same effect as setting it from command line. Actually command line overrides everything else. -oneshot option does not change anything in build process, the only difference it makes is package is not stored in world file.


I attempted to do this by typing;

/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007.0

at the prompt and it comes back with "There is no such file or directory"

I also tryed without the two dots (..) in front of /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007

and it says it's a directory.

I have confirmed and verified that both directories exist.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Last edited by JackTrust; 03-04-2008 at 12:42 AM.
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #40
JackTrust
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
***Accidental repost. Same as above.***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Use eselect profile list to see common profiles. Profiles are stored in /usr/portage/profiles/, to use them symlink desired one to /etc/make profile.

/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0

If you have working sandbox you can skip the build in emerge -e system/world process, use emerge --skipfirst, you can even come back after emerge -e is finished and try again, it may build then.
You can also live without sandbox, to turn it off permanently add FEATURES="-sandbox" to your make.conf.


@billymayday
Setting FEATURES in make.conf has same effect as setting it from command line. Actually command line overrides everything else. -oneshot option does not change anything in build process, the only difference it makes is package is not stored in world file.


I attempted to do this by typing;

/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007.0

at the prompt and it comes back with "There is no such file or directory"

I also tryed without the two dots (..) in front of /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007

and it says it's a directory.

I have confirmed and verified that both directories exist.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Last edited by JackTrust; 03-04-2008 at 12:43 AM.
 
Old 04-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #41
gaug
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
I had the same probleme to compile on ABIS=amd64 sandbox and sandbox want to compile on ABIS=x86. I find this solution

Code:
#MULTILIB_ABIS="amd64" emerge --oneshot sandbox
And all compile just fine.
 
Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #42
casidiablo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaug View Post
I had the same probleme to compile on ABIS=amd64 sandbox and sandbox want to compile on ABIS=x86. I find this solution

Code:
#MULTILIB_ABIS="amd64" emerge --oneshot sandbox
And all compile just fine.
I singed up in linuxquestions just to say: THANKS. I've been finding the solution for this issue for hours, and your response solved my problem.

Thank you so much!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graphical Portage/Emerge GUI (Gentoo) BuckRogers01 Gentoo 37 06-03-2008 08:49 AM
Gentoo emerge howto do ./configure --options-stuff via portage humbletech99 Linux - Distributions 7 05-08-2008 05:06 AM
Can't emerge gnome on gentoo due to ffmpeg plugins aeruzcar Linux - Software 3 07-02-2006 11:55 AM
emerge,portage, upgrading gentoo confusion darkangel29 Linux - Newbie 2 06-03-2006 10:53 AM
KANOTIX , walkthough for installing gentoo portage & emerge on debian pure sid MaximalSbcYahoo Debian 2 04-01-2006 04:10 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration