LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
sonem
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy KDE Desktop context menu entry change/add


Hi, everyone. I have a little problem that nobody seems to know what to do with. It seems that in Fedora specifically, KDE has "Konsole" baked into it's desktop menu. So the problem is, I don't really use Konsole, in fact, it's not even installed on my system. I prefer Tilix or st, so for me this button literally does nothing. And I would very much like having a terminal that I use in this menu. But it seems that I can't find a way to add/remove from this menu. Can you guys help me? Am I just unable to find the right .desktop file?

Here is an image:
https://i.imgur.com/MjLswBK.png

In the past, this part was hardcoded, but that was a long time ago, and a developer in 2008 told that it should be able to read settings from a config file in future builds.
 
Old 03-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 947

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
Well in Fedora 29, I went to "Applications/System" and right clicked on the konsole icon and selected "Edit application". The properties window pops up and I clicked on "File Type Options", a big button in the middle, another pop-up shows up called "Edit File Type application/x-desktop--File Type Editor?", I highlighted "*.kdelnk" and selected "-Remove" then "Apply", and damnnnnn! it was gone from the menu, who would'ave thunk it?. Then I clicked the "+Add" and typed "*.kdelnk", then "Apply" and holy smokes! it's back.

But don't close both pop-up windows, just the Editor (second one), in the properties window (first one that appeared), click the Applications tab, in the "Name" field exchange Konsole for Tilix, to the right of the "Command" field click on "Browse..." button and browse to the Tilix executable and select it. There's nothing in the "Work path" field, probably don't need anything either. Back on the "General" tab, click on the icon and you might find a different icon you might like better, permissions are my user name for both user and group.

As for adding a new one for st, heck, you're on your own there bud, I'm tired.
 
Old 03-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 14,614
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052Reputation: 4052
If it were me, I'd add the programs I use to my "Favorites" list and leave the main part of the menu alone because I'm lazy.

A web search for "https://www.karenmallard.com/" turns up a number of promising links, including this one (PDF): https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-w.../kmenuedit.pdf
 
Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
sonem
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
I went to "Applications/System" and right clicked on the konsole icon and selected "Edit application".
Excuse me, I seem to have difficulty accessing "Applications/System". I am presuming you are not talking about "System Settings"? Could you be a little more specific, please?
 
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #5
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 947

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
More specific?
OK...
There's a blue "F" bottom left corner to bring up the applications menu, click on it, slide the mouse at the bottom to "Applications", now it says on top "All applications" with 11 categories starting from Administration down to Help Center, second from the bottom is "System", in that category is where the "main" Konsole launcher that I right clicked on to make the changes.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #6
sonem
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
More specific?
OK...
There's a blue "F" bottom left corner to bring up the applications menu, click on it, slide the mouse at the bottom to "Applications", now it says on top "All applications" with 11 categories starting from Administration down to Help Center, second from the bottom is "System", in that category is where the "main" Konsole launcher that I right clicked on to make the changes.
That's problematic, I don't have Konsole. Should I install it then? Preform the actions and then uninstall?
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #7
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 947

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
Also, when I bring up the menu from the blue "F", it defaults to "Favorites", under the 6 apps I have in favorites, I right click in empty space and select "Edit Applications". This brings up the "KDE Menu Editor", in this editor you can edit any of the existing shortcuts currently in the menu. Also, you can create a new entry, so if you want to add an entry for "ST", and want it in the System category where the Konsole shortcut is by default, click on the arrow to the left of "System" to show all other current shortcuts and at the top of the window click on "New Item", It'll ask to enter the item's name where you would enter "ST" then click OK and a new shortcut called ST will appear in System category. If it shows up in another category, left click and hold to drag and drop it in your preferred category. You can drag and drop any current shortcut wherever you want them in this editor.

With the new entry called "ST" highlighted, on the right side, select desired icon, description and Command where again you would browse to the executable for ST.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:04 AM   #8
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 947

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonem View Post
That's problematic, I don't have Konsole. Should I install it then? Preform the actions and then uninstall?
No need to install it, if it's shortcut is there, you can edit it to make it a shortcut for one of your other apps or delete it from the KDE Menu Editor mentioned in my previous post.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:07 AM   #9
sonem
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
Also, when I bring up the menu from the blue "F", it defaults to "Favorites", under the 6 apps I have in favorites, I right click in empty space and select "Edit Applications". This brings up the "KDE Menu Editor", in this editor you can edit any of the existing shortcuts currently in the menu. Also, you can create a new entry, so if you want to add an entry for "ST", and want it in the System category where the Konsole shortcut is by default, click on the arrow to the left of "System" to show all other current shortcuts and at the top of the window click on "New Item", It'll ask to enter the item's name where you would enter "ST" then click OK and a new shortcut called ST will appear in System category. If it shows up in another category, left click and hold to drag and drop it in your preferred category. You can drag and drop any current shortcut wherever you want them in this editor.

With the new entry called "ST" highlighted, on the right side, select desired icon, description and Command where again you would browse to the executable for ST.
I am well aware of that. St creates an entry there by default, so is Tilix. But Application Launcher is not an issue. I have a problem with context menu on desktop (the right click on an empty space, where "Create New", "Icons", "Refresh Desktop" and such).
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 AM   #10
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 947

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
The KDE menu editor is what you were originally looking for, you can do whatever changes you want to the menu from here.
I got some sleep, so took the time to figure it out for ya.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #11
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 947

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
That's odd, I don't have Konsole baked into the desktop in my Fedora.
None the less, from the Konsole shortcut in the main menu where in my first post I mentioned removing *.kdelnk, there's also a *.desktop entry you can remove, maybe that's what you're after.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
sonem
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
The KDE menu editor is what you were originally looking for, you can do whatever changes you want to the menu from here.
I got some sleep, so took the time to figure it out for ya.
To me it appears that KDE menu editor only edits entries in Application Launcher/Application Menu. Is that wrong? The app I want to configure is "Standard Menu".
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
sonem
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Kinda like this, but with "Standard Menu":
https://imgur.com/jtR7Bej
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:24 AM   #14
sonem
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
That's odd, I don't have Konsole baked into the desktop in my Fedora.
None the less, from the Konsole shortcut in the main menu where in my first post I mentioned removing *.kdelnk, there's also a *.desktop entry you can remove, maybe that's what you're after.
Nope, tried that too. How come you don't have "Konsole" entry? I've installed mine from netinstall-1.2.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:24 AM   #15
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 947

Rep: Reputation: 239Reputation: 239Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonem View Post
Kinda like this, but with "Standard Menu":
https://imgur.com/jtR7Bej
Everything in that screenshot is applicable to the KDE Menu editor. Go to Settings, configure toolbars etc.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to configure desktop context menu (right-click on desktop) JeffBuckles SUSE / openSUSE 6 03-23-2017 03:56 AM
When right/left clicking for a context menu to appear, it display a pitch black menu pupuela Linux - Newbie 4 08-07-2014 06:54 AM
How to add e menu entry to KDE start menu over CLI browny_amiga Linux - General 7 02-08-2009 03:05 PM
gnome-desktop: add to right-click context menu? jhwilliams Linux - Software 1 07-28-2007 06:13 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration