LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Help Hard coding Resolution


Hi, I am running Mint 18.1 with Cinnamon and I love it.

My only problem is that my laptop screen is 4k but my 2 external screens are 1080p. So I have set my laptop screen to use the resoltution 1080p which works great. BUT when I reboot or connect a screen the laptop screen goes back to 4k.

How can I hard code the resolution of this screen so have a max of 1080p?

Thanks

Chris
 
Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,547

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziekris View Post
Hi, I am running Mint 18.1 with Cinnamon and I love it.

My only problem is that my laptop screen is 4k but my 2 external screens are 1080p. So I have set my laptop screen to use the resoltution 1080p which works great. BUT when I reboot or connect a screen the laptop screen goes back to 4k.

How can I hard code the resolution of this screen so have a max of 1080p?

Thanks

Chris
What video card are you using (and also video driver)??

As with the NVIDIA driver (from NVIDIA themselves) you could run the following command to set screen res for good (as superuser/root);

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --mode 1366x768
If you wanted/needed a screen resolution of 1366x768

Could you also tell us exactly which resolution you would like? As 1080p is a little general.
 
Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi, thanks so much for the fast reply.

I am using 3 screens and its just the laptop display I am trying to change permenent. When I do this through the Nvidia GUI it only lasts a while until any screen change and then it resorts back.

I am running Nvidia driver version: 367.57

My card is: NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M2000M]

Also if I run the command you said I get this:

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --mode 1920x1080

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-server.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'xorg-server' found
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
Many Thanks

Last edited by kraziekris; 02-14-2017 at 07:25 AM.
 
Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,547

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziekris View Post
Hi, thanks so much for the fast reply.

I am using 3 screens and its just the laptop display I am trying to change permenent. When I do this through the Nvidia GUI it only lasts a while until any screen change and then it resorts back.

I am running Nvidia driver version: 367.57

My card is: NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M2000M]

Also if I run the command you said I get this:

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --mode 1920x1080

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-server.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'xorg-server' found
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
Many Thanks
That's what we're here for! And thanks for the info requested.

You may not have had the xorg.conf file there before so I'm guessing that why it's saying 'WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.' As the driver may have been getting the config for your monitor from EDID (and sounds like it was).

If your desktop is working then xorg should be installed, in which case I would not worry about the output of nvidia-xconfig

Are you still having any issues?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi, yes, even with that file being generated it still put my screen at 4k, it also messed up the positioning of my screens so I had to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Now everything is ok again but I still have 4k on 1 screen unless I manually edit it in the nvidia GUI each time.
 
Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,547

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziekris View Post
Hi, yes, even with that file being generated it still put my screen at 4k, it also messed up the positioning of my screens so I had to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Now everything is ok again but I still have 4k on 1 screen unless I manually edit it in the nvidia GUI each time.
I should have said before, you NEED to restart the X server after you have run nvidia-xconfig command.

You may also need to tell nvidia-xconfig which monitor to change screen res for.

Did you do that?

I would also look at: http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFre...hapter-03.html

(and try the command at the bottom of page)

I also had the same problem you are talking about myself, and also had to use the command;

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --no-use-edid-dpi

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 02-14-2017 at 08:32 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,

I have tried the command you have put but it didnt do anything. I have rebooted each time I make a change....

The xorg.conf that was generated is below

Code:
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 361.42  (buildd@lgw01-18)  Tue Apr  5 14:33:28 UTC 2
016

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 367.57  (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-13)  Mo
n Oct  3 21:42:19 PDT 2016

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Idek Iiyama PL2492H"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     55.0 - 76.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "Quadro M2000M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-4"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DP-3: nvidia-a
uto-select +0+0, DP-4: nvidia-auto-select +986+1080 {viewportin=1920x1080}"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
I agree this seems like the best option

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --no-use-edid-dpi
I just dont seem to be able to get the settings to stick!!!
 
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,547

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziekris View Post
Hi,

I have tried the command you have put but it didnt do anything. I have rebooted each time I make a change....

The xorg.conf that was generated is below

Code:
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 361.42  (buildd@lgw01-18)  Tue Apr  5 14:33:28 UTC 2
016

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 367.57  (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-13)  Mo
n Oct  3 21:42:19 PDT 2016

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Idek Iiyama PL2492H"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     55.0 - 76.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "Quadro M2000M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-4"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DP-3: nvidia-a
uto-select +0+0, DP-4: nvidia-auto-select +986+1080 {viewportin=1920x1080}"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
I agree this seems like the best option

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --no-use-edid-dpi
I just dont seem to be able to get the settings to stick!!!
I can see in your xorg.conf that "nvidia-auto-select' is still enabled and not the screen res/mode that you want instead. This looks like the problem from where I'm sitting.

Is the xorg.conf file located in /etc/X11/ ?

Try running;
Code:
nvidia-xconfig --no-use-edid-dpi
and then,

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --mode 1920x1080
and then restart X

Edit: Another option is to manually edit your xorg.conf file, here's mine;

Code:
# File generated by XFdrake (rev 262502)

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 352.63  (tex@localhost.localdomain)  Thu Dec 10 13:19:19 CST 2015

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 262502)
# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout1"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    Screen "screen1" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "False" # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
    
    # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
    #DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
    Option "allowmouseopenfail"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Plug'n Play"
    ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630
    ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 420 series and later"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    DefaultDepth 24
    
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1366x768" "1200x720" "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubsection
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
EndSection

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 02-14-2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: extra info
 
Old 02-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi, thanks again for all of this!!!

Ok so I have edited my xorg.conf but I am pretty sure that nvidia is ignoring it completely and sometimes even deleting it because one time it was gone completely and it still ignores this resolution on reboot....

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Also I think that this may have something to do with it? If i go to the normal Display settings in Linux, it will only give me 4k as a resolution, there are no other resolutions here. Maybe this is overriding it initially?

Last edited by kraziekris; 02-14-2017 at 10:56 AM.
 
Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,547

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziekris View Post
Hi, thanks again for all of this!!!

Ok so I have edited my xorg.conf but I am pretty sure that nvidia is ignoring it completely and sometimes even deleting it because one time it was gone completely and it still ignores this resolution on reboot....

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Also I think that this may have something to do with it? If i go to the normal Display settings in Linux, it will only give me 4k as a resolution, there are no other resolutions here. Maybe this is overriding it initially?
From what you said before it sounds like it IS looking at your xorg.conf file.

If you look at the following line, there is no screen res in your xorg.conf file;

Code:
 Option         "metamodes" "DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DP-3: nvidia-a
uto-select +0+0, DP-4: nvidia-auto-select +986+1080 {viewportin=1920x1080}"
But if you look at my xorg.conf (following lines);

Code:
Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1366x768" "1200x720" "nvidia-auto-select"
I was thinking that was your problem. So I was going to say, you could try adding similar to the above to your xorg.conf file, under

Code:
Subsection "Display"
So it looks something similar to this;

Code:
Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1920x1080" "1200x720" "nvidia-auto-select"
I'm assuming that the "1200x720" relates to ether the last screen res or the preferred one?? Not sure.

OR, if this does not work, you could also try and do a similar thing to the following lines in your xorg.conf file;

Code:
Option         "metamodes" "DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DP-3: nvidia-a
uto-select +0+0, DP-4: nvidia-auto-select +986+1080 {viewportin=1920x1080}"

I should say that I was only dealing with one monitor not 3 or 4 when I had the same problem myself.

Sorry, just seen your new xorg.conf and cannot see anything wrong with it, hmmmmmmm,

Are you sure your xorg.conf is at /etc/X11/xorg.conf ??

Can you post the output of ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

As it's a long shot but maybe a permission problem?? Here's my output;

Code:
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1963 Jan  7 19:44 /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 02-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.
 
Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi

Thats my old xorg.conf

My new one is here, I have also unlpugged all screens so I can try and sort these resolutiuon issues before complicating it further.

Still. The resolution is ignored and also unavailable in the default display manager.

Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 367.57  (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-13)  Mon Oct  3 21:42:19 PDT 2016


Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
    Option "ModeValidation" "AllowNonEdidModes"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
 
Old 02-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,547

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziekris View Post
Hi

Thats my old xorg.conf

My new one is here, I have also unlpugged all screens so I can try and sort these resolutiuon issues before complicating it further.

Still. The resolution is ignored and also unavailable in the default display manager.

Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 367.57  (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-13)  Mon Oct  3 21:42:19 PDT 2016


Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
    Option "ModeValidation" "AllowNonEdidModes"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Sorry, I just saw that before and was editing my previous post

Can you post the output of ls (see my last post) ?
 
Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi, thanks, I get back the same as you!!

Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1671 Feb 14 17:41 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Not sure if it makes any difference or helps us solve this but it seems to load the correct resolution up to the login box, then I type my password and a few seconds later I see the resolution change to 4k.
 
Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,547

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziekris View Post
Hi, thanks, I get back the same as you!!

Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1671 Feb 14 17:41 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Not sure if it makes any difference or helps us solve this but it seems to load the correct resolution up to the login box, then I type my password and a few seconds later I see the resolution change to 4k.
Nope, just to rule it out as a possible cause/issue in terms of file permissions.

Now from what you just said, it sounds like, once you login, something is changing the screen res again. Interesting.

How did you try and change it before (which program did you use)? eg. some sort of control center/panel, etc.
 
Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
kraziekris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The only thing I can think that is changing it is this config window......

https://ibb.co/ff5Qfa <--------------------check image

This only gives me 1 resolution and this is the one it keeps changing too after login.

I have only ever used the nvidia gui to edit settings and also using the commands you sent me and now editing the xorg.conf.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
non-mounted Debian wheezy 7.9 on partitioned Hard Drive - wrong screen resolution limited to 1024 x 768 tanguy123 Linux - Newbie 13 01-23-2016 05:14 PM
coding until 3 am secretlydead Linux - General 9 01-06-2012 09:44 AM
Install rehdat from NFS using kickstart -- without IP hard-coding gxgtudor Red Hat 2 02-28-2009 03:40 AM
Correct desktop resolution. Incorrect screensaver & lock resolution mybootorg Linux - General 6 05-03-2006 02:39 AM
Ethernet adapter hard coding rchessher Linux - Networking 0 10-12-2001 10:01 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration