LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
haochela
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
Display problem on hp 6510b with CentOS 5.1 loaded


I have recently installed CentOS 5.1 on a HP 6510b laptop using an Intel 965 Express display adapter. When I finshed the install and restarted, GDM/Gnome comes up but the display does not utilize all of the screen real estate that is available. I tried changing this so that it would display correctly using the GUI interface tools that CentOS/gdm provides. This applet did allowed me to change the display resolution, but it failed to enlarge the display settings so that it would fill the screen the way it is supposed to. Consequently I have a laptop display that has a thick black border encircling it.

I had the same problem when I was using Fedora Core 6 on this same device with a 2.4 kernel. Now that I'm using CentOS 5 with a 2.6.18 kernel I find myself wondering if it's not something more basic that needs to be reconfigured. I even downloaded the latest kernel but this didn't change anything.

Is there a setting in xorg.conf I should be using to adjust this so that all of the viewable are is used?

Has anyone else run into this problem with this model?
 
Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Lenard
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS/SL 5 i386 and x86_64 pata for IDE in use
Posts: 4,790

Rep: Reputation: 58
Quote:
]
I have recently installed CentOS 5.1 on a HP 6510b laptop using an Intel 965 Express display adapter. When I finshed the install and restarted, GDM/Gnome comes up but the display does not utilize all of the screen real estate that is available. I tried changing this so that it would display correctly using the GUI interface tools that CentOS/gdm provides. This applet did allowed me to change the display resolution, but it failed to enlarge the display settings so that it would fill the screen the way it is supposed to. Consequently I have a laptop display that has a thick black border encircling it.
Use the 915-resolution package from Dag's site (rpmforge): http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

Also see: http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...Graphics_Cards


Quote:
I had the same problem when I was using Fedora Core 6 on this same device with a 2.4 kernel.
That is impossible, Fedora Core 6 was released with a 2.6 kernel and does not have support for a 2.4 kernel available by the installed packaging.
 
Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
haochela
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 16

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenard View Post
Use the 915-resolution package from Dag's site (rpmforge): http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

Also see: http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...Graphics_Cards




That is impossible, Fedora Core 6 was released with a 2.6 kernel and does not have support for a 2.4 kernel available by the installed packaging.
Ok, I stand corrected. I should have stuck to what was relevant or at least been certain of all my facts before placing them in this post. The truth of the matter is, I did not go to the trouble to write down or check the Fedora Core 6 build before setting up CentOS5. I also have another, substantially older version of CentOS (3) installed on a desktop box that is running as a server and is running under kernel 2.4.21-52. I guess I must have confused what was gone with what is still hanging around. Sorry about that. Hope it didn't slow down the reply.

Regarding the 915reolution: I was able to install this package from Dag's repository as you indicated, and there were no problems with the install. But when I ran 915resolution -l as you recommended, this is what I got:

Intel chipset detected. However, 915resolution was unable to determine the chipset type.
Chipset Id: 2a008086
Please report this problem to stomljen@yahoo.com

Thanks for the recommendation. If you have any other suggestions, I would be interested to hear them.
 
Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Lenard
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS/SL 5 i386 and x86_64 pata for IDE in use
Posts: 4,790

Rep: Reputation: 58
OK, as a suggestion use the GUI graphics and choose the Generic monitor type that matches your monitor's native resolution setting and the matching resolution desired.

Second suggestion as root from runlevel3 type something like:

system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1024x768 --set-depth=16 --set-driver=i810

See: system-config-display --help for more configuration options. Adjust the resolution to match your monitors native resolution.
 
Old 01-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
haochela
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 16

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I tried the first suggestion. While the command was accepted, no change resulted when I restarted X(so I guess setting to a lower level driver didn't help?).

I'll look more closely at the help options and post what I find if a solution is found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenard View Post
OK, as a suggestion use the GUI graphics and choose the Generic monitor type that matches your monitor's native resolution setting and the matching resolution desired.

Second suggestion as root from runlevel3 type something like:

system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1024x768 --set-depth=16 --set-driver=i810

See: system-config-display --help for more configuration options. Adjust the resolution to match your monitors native resolution.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can't install fedora 7 in hp/compaq 6510b raport Linux - Hardware 2 10-17-2007 03:12 AM
problem with display on hp-dv2519 on centos surendranath_darla Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-09-2007 10:59 PM
ATI drivers messing up my display ? (CentOS) wrban Red Hat 0 03-27-2006 04:50 AM
paraport_pc module loaded with wrong options, st not loaded adrianmariano Debian 2 12-18-2004 09:37 PM
gDeslets: The display file contains invalid data and could not be loaded. Correador Mandriva 1 08-24-2004 04:54 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration