LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Desktop (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/)
-   -   Debian8.2 (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/debian8-2-a-4175582511/)

gordie1969 06-17-2016 08:52 AM

Debian8.2
 
Hey guys I installed debian 8.2 and with doing so will it update to the lastest version of 8.5 sorry I'm giving debian a try not liking ubuntu 16.04

sgosnell 06-17-2016 09:46 AM

Yes. Do an update and and upgrade, either through Synaptic or from the command line, and you'll get the latest version of everything in Jessie.
Code:

apt update
apt upgrade

as root in a terminal will do it, or you can run Synaptic and have it do the update/upgrade. I honestly don't remember the exact steps to do that, because I use the command line for this, because it's quicker and easier for me. I seldom bother to open Synaptic. YMMV.

jamison20000e 06-17-2016 10:27 AM

Will need a
Code:

sudo
in there (for the "root" part) or:
Code:

su
adduser yourUserName sudo

then reboot.

sgosnell 06-17-2016 09:48 PM

Probably sudo isn't installed. It's not installed in Debian by default, and the OP seems pretty new, so probably doesn't know about that. Adding a user to the sudo group does nothing when sudo isn't installed. And that alone won't be enough, even if it is installed.

jamison20000e 06-17-2016 10:07 PM

Then:
Code:

su
apt-get install sudo

https://wiki.debian.org/sudo ... :)

sgosnell 06-17-2016 11:09 PM

And then you have to configure it. Newbies to Debian, and especially those who are new to Linux in general, have always had a lot of trouble with this. I intentionally didn't go into detail about how to enable sudo in Debian, leaving that an exercise for the reader, but your posts may confuse things even further, because they're far from complete. The use of sudo itself is very controversial in the Debian community, for reasons that mostly escape me, because one of the underlying principles of Linux is the freedom to configure and use your system as you see fit. I use sudo because I think it enhances security to some small degree, but some people believe it to be an abomination near to running Windows. I say use what works for you. But the Debian philosophy is that sudo is not provided out of the box, so some seem to think it shouldn't be used at all. Configuration instructions can be hard to find. Thus, for a newbie, using su is the easiest way to get started.

jamison20000e 06-17-2016 11:29 PM

IMHO sink or swim doesn't quite apply here, nor opinions on running and sharing the root password &c:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/lin...rn-the-basics/
http://www.tecmint.com/su-vs-sudo-an...sudo-in-linux/

also, try:
Code:

man man
... :D


Add:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 5562783)
And then you have to configure it. ...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...1/#post5562468

HMW 06-18-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 5562783)
And then you have to configure it. Newbies to Debian, and especially those who are new to Linux in general, have always had a lot of trouble with this

But, there is a very straightforward entry in Debian's own wiki:
https://wiki.debian.org/sudo

sgosnell 06-18-2016 10:35 AM

Yes, it's easy enough to do, and easy enough to find the instructions, which is why I didn't spell it out. People need to learn to do things on their own. But this thread seems to be going sideways, so I think it's time to bail.

273 06-18-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 5562931)
Yes, it's easy enough to do, and easy enough to find the instructions, which is why I didn't spell it out. People need to learn to do things on their own. But this thread seems to be going sideways, so I think it's time to bail.

I agree with sgosnell that going down the rabbit hole of sudo in this thread is a confusing distraction.
By default in Debian one uses the root account (can be logged into in a variety of ways) to perform root operations such as installing software.
So my initial advise would be to use apt-get as root to update and upgrade.

Should gordie1969 wish to install and configure sudo then that and any discussion of why and how should be another thread entirely.

jamison20000e 06-18-2016 11:04 AM

Don't do backups or make sure there's a good firewall and go to all the wrong places on the web like my nephews... :rolleyes:

Didn't you say it yourselfers, we are the admins (root) in GNU\Linux!?

273 06-18-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamison20000e (Post 5562941)
Don't do backups or make sure there's a good firewall and go to all the wrong places on the web like my nephews... :rolleyes:

Didn't you say it yourselfers, we are the admins (root) in GNU\Linux!?

The difference between advising to enable sudo in Debian and advising to, for example, back-up is that enabling sudo in Debian is not more secure or a must-do (especially on a single-user system) it is an option which some find more convenient or useful as part of a security system.

If one wishes to update Debian one does so as root. There is absolutely no good reason to install sudo unless it is part of a bigger security scheme. Since this thread is not about security then sudo is an irrelevant diversion.

For the record this is the Debian help page regarding package management and nowhere does it state "first install sudo".

jamison20000e 06-18-2016 11:50 AM

It links you here: https://wiki.debian.org/Root
Quote:

In a terminal : you can use su (or gksu) to change your identity to root.
However, it's recommended to configure and use sudo (or gksudo) to run a given command

gordie1969 06-18-2016 01:51 PM

debian update
 
do I use the same as ubuntu in terminal sudo apt-get install updates because didn't work

jamison20000e 06-18-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamison20000e (Post 5562772)
Then:
Code:

su
apt-get install sudo

https://wiki.debian.org/sudo ... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamison20000e (Post 5562468)
...
Code:

su
adduser yourUserName sudo

then reboot.

...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.