LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > Linux - Certification
User Name
Password
Linux - Certification This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux certification.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #16
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170Reputation: 3170

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockVSJock View Post
Don't get into the poverty mindset that "your employer must pay for your training." Those days are long gone and you have to take the initiative, because if you don't someone else who is much more hungry then you will. I'm currently taking a MOOC programming class via edX and I'm paying for it, not my employer. I also paid for my RHCSA training and exam. Why? Because if a better job opportunity comes along, I don't want to be tied down, in that if the company pays for your training, you have to commit to staying with that company for so many years so they can re-coup their cost (that is something they won't teach in college). Plus it shows I'm not dependent on my employer for my learning and growth.
I don't think it's a "poverty mindset" to aver that employers should invest in your training – and that you should in turn be willing to stay on to let them recoup what they've spent on you.

I remember helping to review a stack of resumes and I did encounter one page where the person had been working at four jobs during the past two years. None of them appeared temporary. He also trotted out his many certifications. I looked up at the hiring manager and said to her (referencing a campy country song ...) "This boy's just a walk-away Joe." She nodded, and that was that.

Business is a two-way street, and IT is very, very important business. Why should I hire you and invest time bringing you up to speed if you're just going to get bored and leave? Again?

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-01-2018 at 08:39 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #17
m350
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Nope....as said in another thread, I have NUMEROUS certifications and two advanced degrees. Where did I ever say I had none? I have also run my own business for the past 20 years working in this industry. And even at that I wouldn't consider myself an 'expert', mainly because there is always something else to learn.

Who cares if you wait or not??? I never said "all" did I?? I have run across **ONE** who could not. And that's not my opinion, but fact. And since two of my employees witnessed this, I'd say it wasn't opinion either. And aside from this being an obvious troll post, what is the actual point here?

Anyone who has worked with some 'quality outsourcing companies', where they tout their employees are all 'certified', probably has the same sorts of experiences. Ask around.
I do not believe anything from anyone like yourself touting yourself on some forum. You never ran across 1 that as NOW you changed your story.

As you stated you have ZERO evidence and ZERO credibility and another resident genius misleading people trying to learn. Sitting in mom's basement is not a business...

Last edited by m350; 03-01-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: stating the facts
 
Old 03-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #18
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 20,713

Rep: Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by m350 View Post
I do not believe anything from anyone like yourself touting yourself on some forum. As you stated you have ZERO evidence and ZERO credibility and another resident genius misleading people trying to learn. Sitting in mom's basement is not a business...
Again; what is your point? You seem to have only joined here to make comments about something and someone you know nothing about. Either participate in the conversation, or don't.

I certainly don't have to prove anything to you. Don't like it? Then move on...
 
Old 03-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #19
m350
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Again; what is your point? You seem to have only joined here to make comments about something and someone you know nothing about. Either participate in the conversation, or don't.

I certainly don't have to prove anything to you. Don't like it? Then move on...
The fact you clearly made dishonest statements about numerous individuals with the said certifications could not add a user. Then change your story, so which is it then claim you have numerous certifications after claiming they are all useless.

Also you claim you did not witness it, all of that sounds very dishonest. If it is a cake walk go take it yourself!

So which is it, have you taken the exam since you claim it is of no value?

Waiting.

Last edited by m350; 03-01-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Take the exam yourself...
 
Old 03-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #20
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 20,713

Rep: Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by m350 View Post
The fact you clearly made dishonest statements about numerous individuals with the said certifications could not add a user.
Nope, sorry..never changed it. Always said I met ONE who couldn't...period. Not dishonest at all, since I witnessed it. The fact you don't believe it is of no importance to anyone.
Quote:
Then change your story, so which is it then claim you have numerous certifications after claiming they are all useless.
Yep...I do claim they're useless, because none of those tests were challenging. And they certainly didn't add anything to my knowledge, or get me more money/jobs. So there's little point in them. Took them because they were free (to me) to take.
Quote:
Also you claim you did not witness it, all of that sounds very dishonest.
Never claimed I did not witness anything....either you're delusional or just can't read. Told you several times it happened in front of me, and was witnessed by two others.
Quote:
If it is a cake walk go take it yourself! So which is it, have you taken the exam since you claim it is of no value? Waiting.
Again; HAVE taken it, and numerous others, and have other degrees which ARE worth something. Which is probably much more than I can say you possess.
 
Old 03-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #21
m350
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Nope, sorry..never changed it. Always said I met ONE who couldn't...period. Not dishonest at all, since I witnessed it. The fact you don't believe it is of no importance to anyone.

Yep...I do claim they're useless, because none of those tests were challenging. And they certainly didn't add anything to my knowledge, or get me more money/jobs. So there's little point in them. Took them because they were free (to me) to take.

Never claimed I did not witness anything....either you're delusional or just can't read. Told you several times it happened in front of me, and was witnessed by two others.

Again; HAVE taken it, and numerous others, and have other degrees which ARE worth something. Which is probably much more than I can say you possess.
You have contradicted yourself to the point of saying you saw it to someone else said this or that.

No way on this earth one can pass those certs and can't add a user period.

Last edited by m350; 03-01-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Move along folks nothing to see here but the truth.
 
Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #22
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 20,713

Rep: Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by m350 View Post
You have contradicted yourself to the point of saying you saw it to someone else said this or that.
Again, either you can't read or understand what's been said. Nothing posted has been contradictory; said plainly we saw ONE person with 'certs' who asked how to add a user when given the task. Period. It was said to me, in front of two others. Very simple.
Quote:
No way on this earth one can pass those certs and can't add a user period.
If you say so. Unless, of course, they did dumps and practice tests over and over until they squeaked by, or plain lied. I don't know, and don't claim to. They said they had two certifications, and couldn't do that task, period.

Again, what you believe is not important.
 
Old 03-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #23
m350
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Again, either you can't read or understand what's been said. Nothing posted has been contradictory; said plainly we saw ONE person with 'certs' who asked how to add a user when given the task. Period. It was said to me, in front of two others. Very simple.

If you say so. Unless, of course, they did dumps and practice tests over and over until they squeaked by, or plain lied. I don't know, and don't claim to. They said they had two certifications, and couldn't do that task, period.

Again, what you believe is not important.


None of that makes any sense period.

done
 
Old 03-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #24
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 20,713

Rep: Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by m350 View Post
None of that makes any sense period. done
Then you have serious problems with reading comprehension.
 
Old 03-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #25
m350
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Then you have serious problems with reading comprehension.
You basically made a blanket statement anyone with apostrophe 's' could not add a user with that cert.

Is that correct, I am trying to understand here?
 
Old 03-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #26
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: Slackware®
Posts: 13,237
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437Reputation: 2437
Moderator response

To all,

Flame wars or just plain arguing helps no one. Not on topic and going no where.

If everyone cannot get back on topic then this thread will be closed.
 
Old 03-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #27
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,561

Rep: Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778
Thank you onebuck.

Members, please try to reply to the original question in technical terms.

Please try to keep the threads professional and useful to others.
 
Old 03-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #28
JockVSJock
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: SATX
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS
Posts: 1,282
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
I don't think it's a "poverty mindset" to aver that employers should invest in your training – and that you should in turn be willing to stay on to let them recoup what they've spent on you.
Any of the private sector companies that I've worked for, training is a dirty word. Its easier and cheaper to poach someone else from another company Vs investing in your current employees.

I supposed it ok to stay on with a company if that is the agreement if they pay for your training. However that company wouldn't think twice about laying you off or getting rid of you in order to keep profits high or shareholders happy, so don't get comfortable.

Also this is IT, we have to always be learning and keeping our skills up to date or we will be replaced...so its best in invest in yourself.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #29
JockVSJock
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: SATX
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS
Posts: 1,282
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
I don't think it's a "poverty mindset" to aver that employers should invest in your training – and
To also follow up with this...This attitude of "they should pay for your training" creates an entitlement mentality. In the case of my wife, where she works, they did a bait-and-switch on her telling her that they could send her to all of these conferences for her job. Once she actually pushed the issue, there was no money for these conferences, and she felt she was "owed" because she was told one thing.

Just take the responsibility and initiative to train yourself. Sure, there might be some dollar cost associated with it along with taking up some of your personal time, however if another opportunity opens up, you are ready for it.

At my current job, there is talk of going to Azure, however nothing solid yet. Because of this, I'm already signed up for a Azure bootcamp thru Microsoft and checking out other Azure training, like thru linuxacademy.com, that way I'm ready. Instead of waiting for my employer getting around to training me, which may not come.
 
  


Reply

Tags
certification, linux, redhat, sysadmin


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: What Red Hat Has Done is Worth So Much More Than a Billion LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-29-2012 10:31 PM
LXer: What Red Hat Has Done is Worth So Much More Than a Billion LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-29-2012 09:50 PM
is red hat worth the money? jasonpeinko Linux - Distributions 4 10-25-2005 10:42 PM
red hat 6.0 box worth installing? MicroFlaccid Linux - Software 2 03-04-2004 04:36 PM
Red Hat 9 Bible worth $50? neozero62 Linux - Newbie 6 11-10-2003 04:16 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > Linux - Certification

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration