LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #76
PROBLEMCHYLD
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,059

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
Checkmate to a childish response, seriously.

I will concede this. I do see relevance to Slackware in the fact that you try to access the source tarball from SBo it takes you to that take down notice; which does affect those Slackware users that use SBo. Had the OP began his post with this fact instead of with a general news item about the this DMCA take down perhaps none of this nonsense would started.
"CHYLDISH" would be more appropriate hence the name. People like you would love to have Pandora's box closed when you are NOT in control. Me, on the other hand have learned to cope with things even out of my control. Its called life, if I can deal with it so can you....
 
Old 10-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #77
Moun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2017
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
Did you know that MPlayer supports playing the Youtube streams, as in using right on video streams, since long time?
I just tested with MPlayer, it didn't work, but with vlc yes. I was quiet surprised, and thought it was worth to mention it here.

By the way I'm not sure Youtube can _legally_ forbid users to download instead of "streaming" in country where the right/exception of the personal copy is guaranted.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #78
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,797

Rep: Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
My thoughts, not that anyone cares.

I'm in the camp of this is out of topic for Slackware.

Is there an issue building this in Slackware? No.

Is this a Slackware provided package? No.

Does this effect Slackware in any way? No.

There are other forums within LinuxQuestions.org this could have been posted in? Yes.

Sure it affects some Slackware users, but how is the relevant? So does the US elections, definitely not appropriate to post in the Slackware Forum on that topic LOL.
The OP just posted OT information that some of us might be interested in. I don't think the intention was to generate a long thread. The irony is that half of this thread consists of posts from people arguing the thread shouldn't exist.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #79
PROBLEMCHYLD
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,059

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
The OP just posted OT information that some of us might be interested in. I don't think the intention was to generate a long thread. The irony is that half of this thread consists of posts from people arguing the thread shouldn't exist.
Please explain to me what is considered on and off topic. I'm just not getting it atm....
 
Old 10-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #80
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,797

Rep: Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
Please explain to me what is considered on and off topic. I'm just not getting it atm....
I don't consider it off-topic, since youtube-dl is a slackbuild. But others do. Even if it is OT, does it really matter? At this stage, the number of 14.2 problems left to solve and discuss here must be approaching zero, and the occasional distraction in this forum this long into the -current cycle really shouldn't get people so wound up.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #81
stormchaser3000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Back on the topic of the youtube-dl project being kicked off Github due to a DMCA claim, I would like to quote a section from the actual DMCA claim itself:

Quote:
-snip-
Anticircumvention Violation. We also note that the provision or trafficking of the source code violates 17 USC §§1201(a)(2) and 1201(b)(1). The source code is a technology primarily designed or produced for the purpose of, and marketed for, circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to copyrighted sound recordings on YouTube, including copyrighted sound recordings owned by our members. For further context, please see the attached court decision from the Hamburg Regional Court that describes the technological measure at issue (known as YouTube’s “rolling cipher”), and the court’s determination that the technology employed by YouTube is an effective technical measure within the meaning of EU
-snip-
Essentially, what I can glean from this excerpt, is that Youtube has it's own DRM-style software on it's site, and that distributing software to break this DRM is illegal within the jurisdiction of the United States and Germany. Apparently, and I welcome someone to disprove this point, youtube-dl is one such piece of software. Please note that I have not personally ready the youtube-dl source code so I do not know for sure if this is the case.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #82
PROBLEMCHYLD
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,059

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
I don't consider it off-topic, since youtube-dl is a slackbuild. But others do. Even if it is OT, does it really matter? At this stage, the number of 14.2 problems left to solve and discuss here must be approaching zero, and the occasional distraction in this forum this long into the -current cycle really shouldn't get people so wound up.
Thanks, I asked a polite? and you gave a polite answer. Thank you!!!! You have my utmost respect.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #83
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 773

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
Please explain to me what is considered on and off topic. I'm just not getting it atm....
Takedown discussions are pointless, whenever the tool pops up again elsewhere the thread will be resurrected.
And again, when the tool gets taken down from that other place, the thread will be bumped.

It's nothing for Slackware to fix. > It's general discussion.


However, I do miss the time when we could right click the video in the browser and select: "Save video as.."
This functionality was taken away, just like it happens now with youtube-dl tool, it's nothing new and interesting.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #84
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 773

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moun View Post
By the way I'm not sure Youtube can _legally_ forbid users to download instead of "streaming" in country where the right/exception of the personal copy is guaranted.
They aren't going to peer with users in those places.
Instead, they will peer with providers, which in turn will allow users to download content only from local servers.
There is a vast network of proxies to work around the limited content on those servers, but linking to such things is probably against the rules.
YMMV as usual, what works in the cloud today, may be gone tomorrow.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #85
drgibbon
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 844

Rep: Reputation: 589Reputation: 589Reputation: 589Reputation: 589Reputation: 589Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser3000 View Post
Essentially, what I can glean from this excerpt, is that Youtube has it's own DRM-style software on it's site, and that distributing software to break this DRM is illegal within the jurisdiction of the United States and Germany. Apparently, and I welcome someone to disprove this point, youtube-dl is one such piece of software. Please note that I have not personally ready the youtube-dl source code so I do not know for sure if this is the case.
YouTube does use DRM, but only on some videos (premium/paid content, I believe). If a video on YouTube has DRM on it, then youtube-dl won't work. So, youtube-dl does not circumvent DRM.

Btw, here's the EFF's brief take, and here from the Freedom of the Press Foundation.

Last edited by drgibbon; 10-26-2020 at 08:28 PM.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #86
stormchaser3000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgibbon View Post
YouTube does use DRM, but only on some videos (premium/paid content, I believe). If a video on YouTube has DRM on it, then youtube-dl won't work. So, youtube-dl does not circumvent DRM.

Btw, here's the EFF's brief take, and here from the Freedom of the Press Foundation.
Ah, ok. Thank you for the correction
 
Old 10-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #87
thirdm
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, NetBSD
Posts: 221

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
"It is obviously that youtube-dl subverts the intent of software running on the Youtube servers. That's exactly what I said several times already to those deaf ears..."

This is neat, this argument. Brings me back to my childhood when I heard a guy on tv chastising people who fast forward through commercials on their VCRs. He said it was stealing to not watch the ads that funded the networks.

Myself, I avoided youtube-dl cause it's Python and not Perl. I am that kind of zealot. But if I mention the Perl equivalent will CPAN get a DMCA takedown request? Forget I mentioned it.

Can't wait until the next FSF newsletter. Maybe it will help them promote their campaign (in development?) to evaluate and promote alternatives to github and other such things that add to git what takes away from git.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 12:44 AM   #88
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,946

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I just want to point out that despite its name, youtube-dl supports many dozens of sites other than youtube.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 01:13 AM   #89
chrisretusn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,395

Rep: Reputation: 586Reputation: 586Reputation: 586Reputation: 586Reputation: 586Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
The OP just posted OT information that some of us might be interested in. I don't think the intention was to generate a long thread. The irony is that half of this thread consists of posts from people arguing the thread shouldn't exist.
I see a lot of things that might interest users in this forum. I do not post them here because it's not Slackware related. I don't argue that the tread should not exist, it should, elsewhere, in anther forum. Most of the this discussion is not Slackware related.

"Linux - Distributions: This forum is for Distribution specific questions."
"Slackware: This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux."

Last edited by chrisretusn; 10-27-2020 at 01:14 AM.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #90
PROBLEMCHYLD
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,059

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
I see a lot of things that might interest users in this forum. I do not post them here because it's not Slackware related. I don't argue that the tread should not exist, it should, elsewhere, in anther forum. Most of the this discussion is not Slackware related.

"Linux - Distributions: This forum is for Distribution specific questions."
"Slackware: This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux."
Give it a rest now......sounding pretty bitter..... You're posting a lot in a so-called off topic. Hypocrisy at it finest.

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 10-27-2020 at 04:36 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My web server has been hacked. SU password has been disabled rcrosoer Linux - Security 11 06-27-2008 03:18 PM
I've nixed my nic's bobaye Linux - Wireless Networking 3 02-14-2008 04:36 PM
LXer: The "Nixed Report" Vista Challenge LXer Syndicated Linux News 5 04-05-2007 08:00 AM
LXer: RIAA Case Against Mother Dismissed With Prejudice; Court May Award Attorneys Fees Against RIAA LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-14-2006 09:21 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration