LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2023, 08:13 AM   #16
business_kid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android
Posts: 16,251

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321

The typical British management style also seems profiled for small growth, and doesn't cope well with today's pressures. I was keen on motor bikes in the 1960s and 1970s. Cheap Japanese bikes hit in the early 1960s, 2 and 4 strokes. They didn't handle well, but they kept going, didn't leak oil, and outperformed similar sized English machines. The English bikes did leak oil, often by design onto the chain. They leaked many other places as well.

Despite this existential threat to their survival, nothing was really done, no rethinks. Antiquated and seriously flawed designs continued. You could still break your leg from wrongly kick starting bigger single cylinder models. Flawed designs rolled off the production lines like an air-cooled vertical 3 cylinder triple, which always overheated the centre cylinder.

Most tellingly, a woman could dress neatly, electric start and drive somewhere on her japanese bike, and arrive neatly dressed. That was unthinkable on a British bike.

In fact an Indian company bought the designs and tooling as the British bike companies went under, improved the designs and has familiar names on the market. They even have classic Japanese designs.

Last edited by business_kid; 03-25-2023 at 08:15 AM.
 
Old 03-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #17
grumpyskeptic
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Posts: 472

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntubski View Post
What do you mean by "every year"?
You would pay the same tax if you have the same capital gain every year or only once in a lifetime.

Perhaps having a lifetime CGT allowance of £1M would encourage enterprise and work.
 
Old 03-26-2023, 08:13 AM   #18
grumpyskeptic
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Posts: 472

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djB9oK6pkbA



May I point out that if someone is unhappy with a job in a factory or warehouse somewhere, it is still less bad than anything else available. If the factory or warehouse did not exist, they would have an even worse job or none at all. Similarly with products and services.

If the UK was a rapidly growing economy then some people would be getting rich while others stayed the same in the short term and were slower to benefit. Poverty would decrease, yet inequality would increase.


By the way the turning point in the graph shown in the above video may be an illusion due to scaling.

Last edited by grumpyskeptic; 03-26-2023 at 08:29 AM.
 
Old 03-27-2023, 04:21 AM   #19
_blackhole_
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2023
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyskeptic View Post
Have we all got to be impoverished because politicians think a few voters might suffer from financial envy?
We've always been impoverished and that's not the reason for it. You're essentially blaming a tiny minority of the less fortunate for the state the country is in.

The majority only "own" their homes and drive cars, through a lifetime of debt - where banks and lenders profit from high interest loans.

By the time you "own" the car, it's ready to be written off...

By the time you "own" your home, you're past retirement age - then you will need to sell it, rather than pass it onto your kids, as you'll likely need to the money from it to pay for your care home place...

All that life time of debt and who really gained from it?

And if you don't buy your home, you're in the hands of private landlord parasites, pouring hundreds of pounds per month away, to enrich someone else, so that they don't have to get a real job.

This has been the case since the Thatcher years. It's very simple: If you saddle the majority with debts, they cannot go on strike, they can't hope to bring down the government - and it's win, win for banks and lenders.

Last edited by _blackhole_; 03-27-2023 at 05:54 AM.
 
Old 03-27-2023, 04:32 AM   #20
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 7,562
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445Reputation: 4445
Quote:
Originally Posted by _blackhole_ View Post
This has been the case since the Thatcher years. It's very simple: If you saddle the proletariat with debts, they cannot go on strike
That's not true. Practically everyone is on strike right now: doctors, nurses, teachers, transport workers, the Passport Office, you name it! And they're all in debt right up to their earholes because everyone seems to be in debt right now except me.
 
Old 03-27-2023, 05:08 AM   #21
petelq
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Distribution: openSUSE(Leap and Tumbleweed) and a (not so) regularly changing third and fourth
Posts: 627

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
That's not true. Practically everyone is on strike right now: doctors, nurses, teachers, transport workers, the Passport Office, you name it! And they're all in debt right up to their earholes because everyone seems to be in debt right now except me.
... and me!
 
Old 03-27-2023, 06:33 AM   #22
_blackhole_
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2023
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
That's not true. Practically everyone is on strike right now: doctors, nurses, teachers, transport workers, the Passport Office, you name it! And they're all in debt right up to their earholes because everyone seems to be in debt right now except me.
You call that strike action? The reason the rail strikes, for example, are only 1 or 2 days a month is to minimise financial impact on those going on strike... And that's why it has dragged out for so long and they have only hurt themselves. So it is true in fact.

And they're on strike because of low pay and soaring energy bills...

Ukraine is blamed, but the reality is that the public are being lied to, while fat cats are allowed to boost their profits to eye watering levels.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/b...-b1060728.html
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64489147

The Tory government's response? Turn your heating down/off and freeze...

Last edited by _blackhole_; 03-27-2023 at 06:48 AM.
 
Old 04-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #23
business_kid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android
Posts: 16,251

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321
I think this is on the nail. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65240749.
Mind you,
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kenneth Galbraith(?)
Q: Why did God create economists ? A: In order to make weather forecasters look good.

Last edited by business_kid; 04-11-2023 at 12:00 PM.
 
Old 11-03-2023, 07:21 AM   #24
grumpyskeptic
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Posts: 472

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The UK economy is stagnating because people anticipate that when the Labour government comes in they will reward their voters (i.e. people on benefits) with even more generous hand outs, and tax the hard-working and enterprising even more to pay for it. So it's not worth working, either as an employee or in business.
 
Old 11-03-2023, 07:41 AM   #25
grumpyskeptic
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Posts: 472

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by _blackhole_ View Post
We've always been impoverished and that's not the reason for it. You're essentially blaming a tiny minority of the less fortunate for the state the country is in.

The majority only "own" their homes and drive cars, through a lifetime of debt - where banks and lenders profit from high interest loans.

By the time you "own" the car, it's ready to be written off...

By the time you "own" your home, you're past retirement age - then you will need to sell it, rather than pass it onto your kids, as you'll likely need to the money from it to pay for your care home place...
Should people be given houses and cars for free, or should nobody have any?

If you were Prime Minister and/or Chancellor, what would you do?

Last edited by grumpyskeptic; 11-03-2023 at 08:16 AM.
 
Old 11-03-2023, 08:02 AM   #26
_blackhole_
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2023
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 87

Rep: Reputation: 66
$stunned_silence
 
Old 11-03-2023, 11:38 AM   #27
business_kid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android
Posts: 16,251

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321
Guys, this is beginning to look dangerously political, and rehashing the Right vs Left arguments that you see in Conservative vs. Labour (UK) or Republican vs Democrat (US). There's only POVs, there's no definitive right or wrong.
 
Old 11-03-2023, 04:08 PM   #28
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,970

Rep: Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622
I blame the BBC for firing the Top Gear guy.
 
Old 11-03-2023, 07:14 PM   #29
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 4,780

Rep: Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyskeptic View Post
If you were Prime Minister and/or Chancellor, what would you do?
I think I'd look at Pre-Reagan tax law versus current tax law for starters. Then I might just look at serious regulation on the Lobby System.

Note: Yes I realize this thread is about the UK but the trend is global, only specifics differ. "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" has always been a force.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reaganomics_4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	41982  

Last edited by enorbet; 11-03-2023 at 07:18 PM.
 
Old 11-04-2023, 05:17 AM   #30
fatmac
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey/Hants Border, UK
Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.
Posts: 5,478

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
When you have multi millionaires/billionaires running a Country they have no real idea/clue as to how things affect the poor, they can only guess, & guesswork doesn't pay the bills.....

It doesn't matter what the politics of the Government, they are too far removed from the true reality!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W vs Raspberry Pi Zero W: What Upgrades Does It Bring? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-30-2021 08:33 PM
LXer: Google “Project Zero” hopes to find zero-day vulnerabilities before the NSA LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-16-2014 01:21 PM
LXer: Economic Slowdown Accelerates Linux Growth in Mobile Handsets LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-08-2009 11:10 AM
LXer: What Does the Economic Crisis Mean to the Tech Sector? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-29-2008 04:50 AM
Firestarter 'Serious' is non-zero, 'Total' is zero sixerjman Linux - Software 0 08-24-2007 12:59 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration