LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   This is what education in Australia has come to... (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/this-is-what-education-in-australia-has-come-to-4175692806/)

jsbjsb001 03-29-2021 07:50 AM

This is what education in Australia has come to...
 
Get this, a school in Australia actually asked all male students to "apologize" to all female students for bad behaviors against women committed by so-called "men" who have raped, sexually harassed, and/or otherwise hurt members of the female gender.

This is off the back of the "justice for women movement" because it seems women are still second class citizens in Australia. The federal government here is in crisis because on one hand you have a government staffer accused of raping Brittany Higgins, then on the other hand you have government staffers jacking themselves off on minister's desks apparently. And now we have a federal MP who, and I quote, "has been ordered by none other than the Prime Minister to attend an 'empathy course' for trolling women online".

Here's a quote from the story about the school:

Quote:

Ms Boyle said in a statement that during a discussion about sexual assault, harassment, and respect for women and girls, boys were asked to stand "as a symbolic gesture of apology for the behaviours of their gender that have hurt or offended girls and women".
Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...embly/13275492

You know, one would honestly think in 2021 respect for ALL genders, races, etc would be a given. Equal pay and equal rights would be a given. But it seems Australia still has a VERY long way to go, it's embarrassing to even think I was born in this country, it truly is. But if all of that wasn't bad enough... now we have schools making every single male student (KIDS) feel like they are a "predator", or are future "predators" ???! I'm sorry, but this country has lost the f*cking plot, well and truly. Is it just me, or has this world just gone insane????!

I honestly thought it was a joke when I first heard about a school actually victimizing all male students, I seriously did, but no, it really did happen. I wasn't surprised about those snakes in Canberra at all, the only difference now is; we know they are literally a bunch of tossers.

Quite honestly, the day I can leave this country just can't come sooner enough, it really can't...

JWJones 03-29-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 (Post 6235206)
Quite honestly, the day I can leave this country just can't come sooner enough, it really can't...

Where are you gonna go? In the U.S., this kind of madness is spreading, too. Then again, I hear a lot about this sort of thing via friends (I have no social media accounts, myself) and news on the web, but in my normal day-to-day dealings with people in the real world, I don't see it, thankfully.

Regardless, this whole "woke," politically-correct, cancel culture thing isn't going to end well.

cynwulf 03-29-2021 11:59 AM

It seems extreme, but this kind of idiocy is widespread. Often the schools are teaching "values" as well as actual education - which is what I object to most. The problem is that those doing the "teaching" either honestly believe they're doing the right thing or have no choice except to follow procedure.

I call it brainwashing. I have had to sit down with my son and try to explain (and undo) much of the nonsense they tried to fill his head with.

It's difficult when parents are saying one thing and schools something else - confuses the hell out of them.

It's all about turning out the next generation of unquestioning servile drones. Can't have people who can think for themselves...

teckk 03-29-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

It's all about turning out the next generation of unquestioning servile drones. Can't have people who can think for themselves.
I think this is correct. And that is not the half of it. In the US, students are told to come to school and tell on Mom and Dad if they are "not thinking right". Or what Mom and Dad are saying in the home.

Guidance councilors can take 15 year old girls for abortions, without the parents consent. If the parents find out about it, they will be told "None of your business".

From the moment they get your kids, they start the indoctrination. By the time your kids are 10, they are turned against you.

Parents and teachers are not allowed by the illegal acting state, to discipline their children to make them behave and be good citizens. So, they drug them with psychotropic drugs and zombify them when they act up. They started that crap in the 1980's. Those little snowflakes, that have never been said no to are now adults. And they are strange acting. Like people from another country.

Then complain why, when the police come and tell them to do something, they simply ignore the police, which causes them to be arrested. And you can see in their eyes that they are shocked.

We tried to address this in the 1980's and 90's. We are way down the road from sanity now.

Oh and by the way. Your little boy can come home one day and tell you that he is a girl, being coached to think that way by the indoctrination center, something that he never would have thought up on his own, and you are required to pretend that it's normal, not a mental problem that needs addressed, or you may have your child taken away.

This is decades in the making.

dogpatch 03-29-2021 08:09 PM

is home schooling allowed?

frankbell 03-29-2021 09:45 PM

Heaven forbid that we should ever have to face up to the past.

jmgibson1981 03-29-2021 10:26 PM

Facing up to the past is one thing. Being guilty by association is quite another.

jsbjsb001 03-30-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJones (Post 6235219)
Where are you gonna go? In the U.S., this kind of madness is spreading, too. Then again, I hear a lot about this sort of thing via friends (I have no social media accounts, myself) and news on the web, but in my normal day-to-day dealings with people in the real world, I don't see it, thankfully.

Quite honestly, and while no offense to any decent people in the US of A; With the US's insane gun laws, user pays "health system", etc, the US of A isn't exactly a country I'd want to live in to be perfectly honest with you (I wouldn't rule out working there provided I had at least a rough time frame of when I was going to leave though). Without trying to go off-topic, I'm not against people having guns for legitimate purposes (like hunting for example, but not limited to), but I've never heard any, even remotely good reason as to why the "average joe" needs military grade weapons.

Quote:

Regardless, this whole "woke," politically-correct, cancel culture thing isn't going to end well.
In principle, I agree with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6235268)
...
It's all about turning out the next generation of unquestioning servile drones. Can't have people who can think for themselves...

Exactly the problem, spot on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by teckk (Post 6235340)
I think this is correct. And that is not the half of it. In the US, students are told to come to school and tell on Mom and Dad if they are "not thinking right". Or what Mom and Dad are saying in the home.

Guidance councilors can take 15 year old girls for abortions, without the parents consent. If the parents find out about it, they will be told "None of your business".

From the moment they get your kids, they start the indoctrination. By the time your kids are 10, they are turned against you.
...

teckk, while I agree with cynwulf's comment and have no doubts about any of your technical know-how; I nearly always find myself [strongly] disagreeing with your political views, but since we all know how political disagreements commonly work out here, I'll refrain from any further comment about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 6235390)
Heaven forbid that we should ever have to face up to the past.

Just to be clear Frank, while there is nothing wrong with pointing out abuse towards ANY gender, race, etc; as jmgibson1981 rightfully points out, it's another thing entirely to be painting ALL members of a particular gender, race, religion, etc as monsters. There is a reason why the old "consorting" laws were abolished here (although there have been similar laws enacted since to target organized crime groups like bikie gangs), because as jmgibson1981 once again points out, you WERE guilty by association, even if you had committed NO crime yourself. That is just plain wrong to be punishing someone else for another's deeds, period.

The point is: If I were to commit a crime, are you also guilty of that crime, that you did **not** commit yourself? Of course not. How can anyone blame you for my actions? I'm sure you'd say, well no they can't, I'm in control of what I do, not what others choose to do, and you'd be absolutely right too. Know whata I mean?

No problem is ever going to be solved by blaming an entire gender, race, or otherwise. It's only going to be solved when people accept that we ALL are equal human beings, REGARDLESS of your gender, race, etc, full stop, period.

teckk 03-30-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

I nearly always find myself [strongly] disagreeing with your political views
Quote:

we ALL are equal human beings, REGARDLESS of your gender, race, etc, full stop, period.
jsbjsb001, in a bland sort of way, so we don't get the thread closed, and humans can disagree with manners, we used to. You can't help but make this a political thread because that is what is causing it.

What would you do in a country, where 50%, or one political ideology, has been for decades, trying to shove down the other 50%'s throat, ideas, policies, that they find so incredibly offensive, and insane, that they are almost ready for war. (We just saw that didn't we) And since they have seen that the adults are not coming on board, they focus on the children when they are young, indoctrinating them into their ideology, turning them against their own parents. And of course, they use the courts to impose their beliefs on the nation, since they often don't win at the ballot box. And, we know that this is not lawful.

We know from the repeated poles that are taken, that this ideology's sexual perversion movement does not have majority support among the citizens. So what do you do? Force it on them anyway, and make them pay for it too? And indoctrinate the children into it, against the parents wishes? You think that might make some folks angry?

Do you actually think that a 7 year old has the mental ability to make a permanent life changing decision like getting major surgery, and altering their private parts? I call that child abuse. 20 year olds sometimes have a hard time deciding what they want to do, and make bad decisions. And we are not talking about a weird haircut that will grow out. Do you believe that the state should have the final say about how a child is raised and not the parents?

What I said about schools indoctrinating children is exactly true. I did not make that up. When 20 year olds leave school, and they poll them, about 90-95% claim to be liberals. By the time they are 30 that is down to 50%. By 50 it is less than 30%. What changed in those years? Did they just get old and stupid?

I would be happy if the schools taught the children, arithmetic, writing, reading, spelling, history, science, geography and stopped. When the children ask questions about religion, politics, sex, the teacher should tell them to go ask your parents. That is what they used to do just a generation back. And, high school students could find Alaska or Great Britain on a world map, without looking at the south pacific for them. And, they could count to 20 without taking their shoes off.

In the 1950s-1970's, if you ask a teacher in a public school, what do you think about Calvinism vs Armenianism, or what do you think about the democrat vs republicans, what do you think about sex, they would say that I have no comment. Go ask your pastor, priest, rabbi or your parents.

How would you handle this if you were in charge? Shove it down the other sides throat weather they like it or not? Or what would you do to solve this? How would you implement things that you think are fair, when 50% of a country thinks that what is being said/taught is extremely offensive.

And if you say education, we have been educated and that is why we come to the conclusions that we have.

Go ahead and talk, I'll listen. We won't get the thread closed as long as it is academic and not vitriolic.

dc.901 03-30-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 (Post 6235206)
The federal government here is in crisis because on one hand you have a government staffer accused of raping Brittany Higgins, then on the other hand you have government staffers jacking themselves off on minister's desks apparently. And now we have a federal MP who, and I quote, "has been ordered by none other than the Prime Minister to attend an 'empathy course' for trolling women online".

Wow - these are elected officials! But then again, we have some of those on this part of the world as well.

Where I am, schools are nice, but still a lot of families home school their children (not just because of COVID).

jsbjsb001 03-30-2021 10:16 AM

Well since you ask teckk...

Let me just start off with the political situation here...
Here, and like in the USA there are two main political parties, with a bunch of smaller parties that can never form a government in their own right. For the purposes of this thread I'll just focus on the federal level in Australia - as it's a little bit different at state level depending on the particular state you're talking about... The two main parties are the Liberal and Labor parties. The Liberal party here is what you'd call the "right" (much like your "Republican" party in the US of A, although perhaps a tad saner here than in the US), with the Labor party being the "left". At the federal level here, the Liberal party always forms a coalition with the National party, known as the "coalition", while the Labor party will form a government in it's own right if it wins enough seats in the federal parliament - only if Labor doesn't get enough seats and the "coalition" hasn't got enough seats to form a government would Labor go into a coalition (usually with the Greens). The National party are "right wing" as well as the Liberal party are - although, and if you ask me, they are a bunch of complete nutcases - and have become a "safe heaven" for the "far-right" in recent years. The "coalition" is currently in government here at the federal level, with Labor losing Queensland, and therefore any chance of getting into federal government at the last election - when they were supposed to cream the "coalition", but got their arse handed to them by Queensland.

Now let's talk about my political position...
I believe in common sense, truth, facts and logic. My views aren't just "left" or "right" and I believe such labels are somewhat silly, my own political views might be considered "center" or "center-left" depending on how you look at them - I would say much more libertarian rather than "left" or "right" more than anything else. As I strongly believe in the idea that the government is answerable to the people, as much as I believe in freedom of choice. I believe, and like with most things, the truth is somewhere in-between, and neither "left" or "right". I make up my own mind as to what I believe, I don't and won't just follow some script or "just believe" what someone says, unless it's supported by common sense, truth, facts and logic. And in that case, then fine, and I don't care which major political party it is that, and on the very, very rare occasion has actually got a valid point. I don't pay attention their spin, and both major parties is equally as guilty as one another when it comes to spin and similar nonsense. I pay attention to what can be called "verifiable FACTS", logic and common sense and I'll always side with common sense, truth, facts and logic regardless of which party is actually speaking it for a change. I think both major political parties here are a bunch of scum-sucking parasites, and they can both go to hell in my book. I would not vote for either of them if they were the last political parties on earth to vote for. I wouldn't piss on either of them if they were on fire. They are as bad as each other, period. The only difference between them apart from their names, is that, the Liberals get bribed by the big end of town, and the Labor party is completely beholden to the trade unions. So I once again despise them both equally, and the smaller parties can't really do much of anything anyway. Put simply, both major political parties here are out for themselves, and don't give a rats arse about the people - let alone the "commoner" like me. The bottom line: there is a reason why we get people like trump being elected, and that isn't by chance, and both major parties have equal blame for that. And if it were up to me, I would quite happily abolish BOTH of the major parties here, and the party really would be over for them.

As for your questions...
  • No, I don't support indoctrinating anyone, let alone children, about sexual matters, political or religious matters - that should always be up to each individual to decide for themselves without any indoctrinating or brainwashing involved. But both major parties here and particularly in the US are just as bad as each other when it comes to indoctrinating and brainwashing people to follow a particular ideology(s), from what I can see. The only difference is which side of the political fence said ideology is on.
  • No, I don't think a 7 year old has the mental ability to make a permanent life changing decision like getting major surgery, and altering their private parts.
  • No, I don't think a private citizen has any need for an AK-47 either.
  • No, I don't think the government should be "driving social change" - that should be left up to civil society to do that. I don't think it's a bad thing if the government supports that, but the government should not be dictating that or driving that change themselves.
  • No, I don't think schools should be getting involved with "gender identity" with respect to individual children. But I don't have a problem with schools teaching sex education, provided it's limited to education about what sex is, what private parts are, and similar, and that's where it should stop. But it should not attempt in any way to be influencing the "gender identity" or similar of individual children, and such things should be left up to each individual to make their own decisions about such things, armed with the facts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc.901 (Post 6235491)
Wow - these are elected officials!
...

Oh yes, that's right - although government staffers aren't actually elected though.

teckk 03-30-2021 10:51 AM

I wish that we had that in the US. Where the different factions of "elected" had to be able to come together enough to be able to "form" a government. And if they can't the leadership has to quit. I think that would be marvelous. That would force some compromise, instead of winner takes all like in the US. That's why things are so extreme. No compromise, we don't have to.

That is one thing that I admire about Great Britain's parliamentary monarchy. The Queen, although it hasn't been done since 47 as I recall, has the lawful authority to dismiss parliament, if they won't compromise and get things done. I don't admire the UK's laws silencing free speech. All that hate speech means is that you said something that I don't like, therefore I will force you to not speak.

I admire Deutschland for the same reason, they have to somehow form a government based on who got elected.

In the US the two major parties have made it as difficult as possible for 3rd parties to even play ball.

Thanks for answering so graciously.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.