LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #16
Philip Lacroix
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Distribution: Slackware, *BSD
Posts: 396

Rep: Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk267 View Post
"I don't use social media", literally posted on an internet forum.
I think you are right! I have a restrictive and slightly polemical (perhaps also superficial) idea of what "social media" are. On the other hand, I guess I might as well have deserved your comment if I had sent the above implication by e-mail, or through smoke signals.

Last edited by Philip Lacroix; 09-14-2017 at 06:53 AM.
 
Old 09-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #17
Mara
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: Grenoble
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 9,575

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
JJJCR, you might consider posting a link that works on Linux on a Linux forum..

What is the goal of the survey? That kind of information you should be able to get easily without surveys, from publicly available data.
 
Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #18
DavidMcCann
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: CentOS, Salix
Posts: 4,678

Rep: Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494Reputation: 1494
The OP's form worked for me: score 1 for CentOS and Opera! Personally, I don't consider this forum to be "social media". To me that means places where people can talk about anything or, more usually, nothing. Fine for The Donald, but I've got a life!
 
Old 09-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Sutton, MA. USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu
Posts: 5,844
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJCR View Post
hahaha..okay I understand where you're all coming from guys.

Yup, the link may not work if you're using Linux. I use Excel form on the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
JJJCR, you might consider posting a link that works on Linux on a Linux forum..

What is the goal of the survey? That kind of information you should be able to get easily without surveys, from publicly available data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
The OP's form worked for me: score 1 for CentOS and Opera! Personally, I don't consider this forum to be "social media". To me that means places where people can talk about anything or, more usually, nothing. Fine for The Donald, but I've got a life!
In spite of the CentOS success cited by David. I like what Mara opined, and this also based upon JJJCR's note that they are using an Excel form.

I too am not comfortable with links that appear to be unknowns and agree you should've just asked your questions in the thread.

Agree also that while there are social aspects to LQ and similar sites, that perhaps the original intent was for things like Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter users.

One early Spring day where the weather patterns made it warmer and clearer than average, it was about the first day you catch people biking, walking, running outside, far more than normal around here. I saw a couple walking hand in hand, heads down, their opposing hands holding phones that they were looking at. Had to restrain myself from saying something best left unsaid. They were obviously busy talking anyways ...
 
Old 09-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #20
!!!
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Posts: 542

Rep: Reputation: 214Reputation: 214Reputation: 214
@OP: cool idea, but your choice of site just doesn't work. (keeps reloading blank, on atm iTablet)

: Pick another website, surveymonkey or ?better? (any LQ'er know one? No js feasible? LQ seems to work without javascript, kudos to Jeremy!!!)
Edit #1: add (not delete=remove current content) new info, then also post below.
Or, as suggested, add to #1, the idea of just posting response, but I like anon.

I was trying to respond: the only (semi)SocialMedia I use is LQ,
(it replaced CL.org) recreationally, and like crossword puzzles

Last edited by !!!; 09-14-2017 at 11:07 PM.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #21
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,791
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lacroix View Post
No social mediaNo social media effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk267 View Post
"I don't use social media", literally posted on an internet forum.
this intrigued me, so i looked it up.
i thought, let's see if the definition of social media differentiates between a forum and, say, facebook.
turns out it does (kindof):
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. The variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available introduces challenges of definition; however, there are some common features:[1]
  1. Social media are interactive Web 2.0 Internet-based applications.[1][2]
  2. User-generated content, such as text posts or comments, digital photos or videos, and data generated through all online interactions, are the lifeblood of social media.[1][2]
  3. Users create service-specific profiles for the website or app that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.[1][3]
  4. Social media facilitate the development of online social networks by connecting a user's profile with those of other individuals or groups.[1][3]
i'd say there's more than 1 point that does not apply to LQ or similar forum.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 02:58 AM   #22
!!!
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Posts: 542

Rep: Reputation: 214Reputation: 214Reputation: 214
Hmmmm.... 1: web 2: posts 3: LQprofiles 4: I'm ?relating? with ondoho
But, yes, my trying to include 4.connecting... is probably stretching it too far.

GREAT links!!! OhMyGosh: all the 'social network' psych buzzwords
reminds of my recent excursion into 'cloud computing' buzzwords

Last edited by !!!; 09-15-2017 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Corrected 4.social... to 4.connecting...
 
Old 09-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,791
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!! View Post
1: web
of course, the term "web 2.0" also "introduces challenges of definition", but i'd say LQ is Web 1.x
 
Old 09-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #24
Myk267
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 321
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lacroix View Post
I think you are right! I have a restrictive and slightly polemical (perhaps also superficial) idea of what "social media" are. On the other hand, I guess I might as well have deserved your comment if I had sent the above implication by e-mail, or through smoke signals.
I'm sorry. My reply sucks and I wish I had put more care into crafting it something a little more constructive. I hope you accept my apology.

I actually was and still am curious about what might be the defining features of a social media platform versus forums and other mediums. After two decades of using the web everything starts to look more or less like every other forum I've used since. That doesn't stop me from being wrong about what is and isn't social media, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
this intrigued me, so i looked it up.
i thought, let's see if the definition of social media differentiates between a forum and, say, facebook.
turns out it does (kindof): i'd say there's more than 1 point that does not apply to LQ or similar forum.
The Social Media page on Wikipedia is an interesting read. I think #2 is a definite feature of a social media platform.

Some of those others kind of/sort of apply to LQ, but I think that's just because LQ seems to have every feature. LQ is bloated! People don't join LQ because it has a blog feature. Though, maybe I wish they did because I certainly like reading blogs. Neither do people join LQ just to read all of the posts by a single user, even though you can do such a thing to a degree.

It's probably not worth all of the time I've spent thinking about a definition for this. I also feel bad for derailing another thread on LQ.

Last edited by Myk267; 09-15-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Sloppy editing.
 
Old 09-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #25
jsbjsb001
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: hopefully somewhere on earth? ;)
Distribution: Whatever Linux distro that suits my needs!
Posts: 738

Rep: Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk267 View Post
...I also feel bad for derailing another thread on LQ.
Why do you say that? This thread is about social media, isn't it? Don't see how you de-railed it.

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 09-15-2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: de-railed instead of "re-railed"
 
Old 09-16-2017, 01:34 AM   #26
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,791
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632Reputation: 1632
Myk267, post #7 was totally ok.
it introduced controversy.
in my book that's a good thing - creates discussion - and not derailing anything.
no need to apologize.
 
Old 09-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #27
Philip Lacroix
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Distribution: Slackware, *BSD
Posts: 396

Rep: Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk267 View Post
I'm sorry. My reply sucks and I wish I had put more care into crafting it something a little more constructive. I hope you accept my apology.
You don't have to apologize: I was not being sarcastic, because your post really had a point. In fact I think the buzzword "social media" itself is to blame, because it is vague and, if taken literally, could as well be applied to e-mail, telephone, ham radio, all the way down to smoke signals. As I mentioned, I have a restrictive, slightly polemical, and of course arbitrary idea of what to consider as "social media", as I suspect that the term became mainstream only after the advent of FB, Twitter et al.

Last edited by Philip Lacroix; 09-16-2017 at 08:55 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's Using Social Media And What Are You Using It For? JockVSJock General 22 02-22-2016 02:20 PM
LXer: Social media for slackers LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-01-2014 10:20 AM
Mesh based social media platform MirceaKitsune Programming 4 10-20-2014 02:55 PM
LXer: Flock 'Social Media' Browser is No More LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-13-2011 03:20 PM
LXer: Get the Most out of Social Media On Your Ubuntu LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-25-2008 08:42 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration