LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Red face So, just how bad can get it it?


So in light of the recent events in Dallas (I just in a suburb of Dallas) , at this point I have become very cynical in asking one disturbing question - 'so when is the next shooting after this' - also , has the race war begun?

I am sure just like before, things will die down for a bit - calm will return, until the next shooting, because lets face it it is not if the next shooting will happen, it is when. Sad.

I still also want to know how more guns at this point would have saved lives, since these terrorists were pretty much military trained, and the way this attack was executed obviously not even law enforcement had a chance in hell in defending/returning fire. Military style assault, bullet proof vests and flack jackets.

Also it is argued which I am now for, rather than against, if the police does look like a military personnel, fine, because these attackers had military style guns and training. The police didn't, and they just had handguns. Sorry but the argument at this point that the police has become too militarised is nonsense, just like open carry and every other argument for and against guns.

One person who turned himself in clearly did have a firearm on his person, fat lot good it would have done him anyways, since clearly the police were also outmatched and outgunned.


So, what now?

Last edited by Jeebizz; 07-08-2016 at 08:37 PM.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 6,277
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
So in light of the recent events in Dallas (I just in a suburb of Dallas) , at this point I have become very cynical in asking one disturbing question - 'so when is the next shooting after this' - also , has the race war begun?

So, what now?
Hi...

From what I see in Scripture, things won't be getting any easier or better until the time of Jesus's return, in fact, they will get worse. Please also see here. However, as I've discovered, one doesn't have to be anxious or fearful about the future when they belong and walk with (obey) the One who controls the future and ultimately works everything out for good. Instead, He gives us His peace and joy in the midst of such things and in our personal trials.

Regards...
 
Old 07-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark71 View Post
Hi...

From what I see in Scripture, things won't be getting any easier or better until the time of Jesus's return, in fact, they will get worse. Please also see here. However, as I've discovered, one doesn't have to be anxious or fearful about the future when they belong and walk with (obey) the One who controls the future and ultimately works everything out for good. Instead, He gives us His peace and joy in the midst of such things and in our personal trials.

Regards...
Thanks, now does anyone have any useful insight?
 
Old 07-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
alberich
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Location: Bavaria
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 140

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I see another bad example of mass hysteria fueled up by unreflected news consumption.

In my opinion some policemen shooting people in a country as big and as piled up in guns as the USA is something very common.

My interpretation of some 'shooting of blacks by policemen': The Police are fearful. Plain simple. Additionally policemen get a negative attitude towards each of their customers and whole humanity, because they are always faced with the problematic characters.

All of that leads to tensions.


One swallow does not a summer make. If some traumatised people overreact, we need to ask why are they traumatised?

If five or 20 policemen are shot, that is not a reason for the police to walk around armed as military. Than they will be seen as occupators and they themselves will feel like in a combat zone.

That is the ground that real trouble and real riots will build up from.

It is no good if 50 policemen are shot dead. But if millions will start to feel threatened by police walking around like military, that is when actual troubles start.

Actually if really a large number of policemen is shot, I am not talking about 5 in as big a country as the US, then you must ask yourselves: why is your civilisation piling up guns in every corner?

Of course you will have a civil war, because if you have guns you will manipulate yourselves to use them.

Obama is right with the problem of guns. But I wonder if your people will be able to count one and one together. I don't think so.

Last edited by alberich; 07-08-2016 at 06:22 PM.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
floppywhopper
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Western Australia
Distribution: Mageia , Centos
Posts: 640
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 134Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
since these terrorists were pretty much military trained,
Terrorists or Freedom fighters ?
 
Old 07-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
alberich
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Location: Bavaria
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 140

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Well, Freedom fighters, that would imply that majority of the police force are evil.

I am not certain about USA, but I guess that the majority of the police over there too are trying to get work done. And we need Police, don't we?

Last edited by alberich; 07-08-2016 at 06:48 PM.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
floppywhopper
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Western Australia
Distribution: Mageia , Centos
Posts: 640
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 134Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberich View Post
Well, Freedom fighters, that would imply that majority of the police force are evil.
I disagree
it implies that a section of the population feel oppressed and that taking up arms is now the only solution
it seems perfectly reasonable according to their constitution
the NRA must be proud
 
Old 07-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberich View Post
I see another bad example of mass hysteria fueled up by unreflected news consumption.

In my opinion some policemen shooting people in a country as big and as piled up in guns as the USA is something very common.

My interpretation of some 'shooting of blacks by policemen': The Police are fearful. Plain simple. Additionally policemen get a negative attitude towards each of their customers and whole humanity, because they are always faced with the problematic characters.

All of that leads to tensions.


One swallow does not a summer make. If some traumatised people overreact, we need to ask why are they traumatised?

If five or 20 policemen are shot, that is not a reason for the police to walk around armed as military. Than they will be seen as occupators and they themselves will feel like in a combat zone.

That is the ground that real trouble and real riots will build up from.

It is no good if 50 policemen are shot dead. But if millions will start to feel threatened by police walking around like military, that is when actual troubles start.

Actually if really a large number of policemen is shot, I am not talking about 5 in as big a country as the US, then you must ask yourselves: why is your civilisation piling up guns in every corner?

Of course you will have a civil war, because if you have guns you will manipulate yourselves to use them.

Obama is right with the problem of guns. But I wonder if your people will be able to count one and one together. I don't think so.
Well, I probably will get flack for this then but as far as I am concerned if the police on a day-to-day basis have to face such dangers AND they are outgunned, well I am all for them getting better equipment. I don't give a crap if all of the sudden they have boots, a helmet and such; it would have not come to this if law enforcement were given the tools necessary to keep up. After all, you have offenders with assuault style arms, and now even military training. It is quite possible that now that there are probably those who went to get military training, are part of gangs... Hyperbole/panic? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberich View Post
Well, Freedom fighters, that would imply that majority of the police force are evil.

I am not certain about USA, but I guess that the majority of the police over there too are trying to get work done. And we need Police, don't we?

This is the problem of the US in general with such a gun culture, and unfortunately its always the wrong people that get a hold of such high powered weapons. Not really a fight, if the police just have a standard issue 9mm (if even that) - and an armed assailant has either an AK-47, AR-15, or some other assault style weapon like they did in Dallas.

I also say that this was terrorism, because they used their military purposes for an ambush style attack.

And I still want to know though how having more civilians armed would have prevented this type of attack, since I am sure the NRA would keep beating the same drum, with their dumbass solution for 'lets arm everyone, to shoot the bad guys.'

Last edited by Jeebizz; 07-08-2016 at 07:19 PM.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #9
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
As long as there are 25-year olds who somehow believe that their personal misgivings are justification to murder, we will continue to need law-enforcement officers who are willing to "lay down their lives for their friends" ... and to put a bomb into the hands of a willing robot, in a cunningly-resourceful(!) way to solve their immediate problem.

Unfortunately, there is no amount of "armament," no amount of "para-militarism," that can "defend us" against someone who has, himself, no regard for human life.

But, we must never stoop to his level.

Never.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
As long as there are 25-year olds who somehow believe that their personal misgivings are justification to murder, we will continue to need law-enforcement officers who are willing to "lay down their lives for their friends" ... and to put a bomb into the hands of a willing robot, in a cunningly-resourceful(!) way to solve their immediate problem.

Unfortunately, there is no amount of "armament," no amount of "para-militarism," that can "defend us" against someone who has, himself, no regard for human life.

But, we must never stoop to his level.

Never.
That I can agree with, but I am still siding with the cops; and they are right in needing to have better equipment. Again, at this point bringing a hand gun to a shoot out when your opponent has the upper hand via assault rifle.......Well then there needs to be some kind of para military equipment to counter that. After all, we have a SWAT team, but if things get this bad, the cops should be able to have the option to respond with something other than just a hand gun or shot gun. Just saying.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
floppywhopper
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Western Australia
Distribution: Mageia , Centos
Posts: 640
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 134Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
I also say that this was terrorism, because they used their military purposes for an ambush style attack.
I say Freedom fighters avenging the deaths of their brothers
like this one
http://www.dw.com/en/police-shooting...age/a-19385225
 
Old 07-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppywhopper View Post
I say Freedom fighters avenging the deaths of their brothers
like this one
http://www.dw.com/en/police-shooting...age/a-19385225
The law would say different; as far as I am concerned I am still siding with the cops. If they have grievances this is not the way to do it. I do not deny police brutality, but actions like this I am not sympathetic to their cause, they can go to hell. I am only sorry that they were not taken alive.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #13
alberich
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Location: Bavaria
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 140

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
and they are right in needing to have better equipment. Again, at this point bringing a hand gun to a shoot out when your opponent has the upper hand via assault rifle.......Well then there needs to be some kind of para military equipment to counter that.
So you have millions of police officers in the USA, and because 10 get shot by assault rifle you want to do what? Equip police cars with 500.000 assault rifles, hand grenades, grenade launchers? Do you want to send police out in 100.000 armoured reconnaissance vehicles instead of cars? Or what are you trying to say?

Last edited by alberich; 07-08-2016 at 08:16 PM.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #14
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberich View Post
So you have millions of police officers in the USA, and because 10 get shot by assault rifle you want to do what? Equip police cars with 500.000 assault rifles, hand grenades, grenade launchers? Do you want to send police out in 100.000 armoured reconnaissance vehicles instead of cars? Or what are you trying to say?
No, just the first part is fine thanks. Like I stated, it isn't much of a fight when a law enforcement only has a hand gun, and they are facing someone with an assault rifle to begin with. If better arming a police officer all of the sudden means militarization, I don't see how that is because it is just simple logic, at this point. You are facing assailants with better weapons then what you have, a hand gun isn't going to cut it.
 
Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #15
floppywhopper
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Western Australia
Distribution: Mageia , Centos
Posts: 640
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 134Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
Like I stated, it isn't much of a fight when a law enforcement only has a hand gun,
isnt any kind of fight when armed police shoot a black guy without a weapon in his hand
is just murder
how many blacks have to die like this before they are justified shooting back
according to US constitution they are perfectly justified
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Bad Monitor and/or Bad Graphic Card or Just Plain Bad Luck Steve R. Linux - Hardware 12 08-27-2014 01:52 PM
LXer: Fedora 18 Spherical Cow review - Bad bad bad LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-20-2013 03:11 PM
Bad, Bad, BAD! (Firefox is basically ditching html5 video support) smeezekitty General 11 05-05-2010 06:29 PM
Cannot mount NFS share (wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock)... martinezpt Linux - Server 3 04-25-2010 08:44 PM
Bad mount of .mdf - "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock, on /dev/loop0" Maybe-not Linux - General 2 02-29-2008 01:30 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration