LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #286
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
I read this article today that " hit the nail on the head " as far as I am concerned!!

A Meaningless Debate by Jacob Hornberger!! http://www.fff.org/2016/10/10/a-meaningless-debate/
Unfortunately, John falls prey to the same sophistry that he condemns in the candidates. His position is that "socialism never works," and therefore that "Medicare and Medicaid are the problem." (I wonder if he would condemn the Veterans Administration, too?)

And, he, too, then fails to offer any solution to the problem that he has just described. (Before he drives home on the Interstate Highway System without, maybe, paying a toll, then navigates a smaller system of roads to get home ...)

"Okay, let's just let Capitalism run its course," and let it decide that "Hospitals" are simply not a profitable business to be in. We can't make them profitable if we're supposed to provide health-care to anyone who needs care. So, let's just close down all Hospitals and turn our attention to more profitable lines of business.

The trouble is, "a purely market-driven, purely 'Capitalist Ideal'" economy would do just that. Capitalism is exclusively driven by profit and profitability.

And, that's why we need socialism. Because there are certain things that we [should] believe are "basic human rights," such as ... health. There is no opportunity for "a profit motive" in this undertaking, if you actually do it right. Therefore, the cost of health care is paid for entirely by the government and supported by taxes. The remuneration for all services is standardized, and guaranteed. Medical decisions (such as the one that did kill my uncle and that would have killed my father) are no longer made by 'Revenue Management.' All doctors are government employees. Because it is not possible to run health-care for profit, nor to pay for it using insurance which is only "profitable" when the covered-person does not cost the insurance company any money, we provide it through "the Full Faith and Credit of the United States."

"Hospitals, or Warships? Plowshares, or Swords?" It's actually an easy choice to make. I'd much rather see public money being spent to save Americans than to kill Afghans.

But, neither of the two mainstream candidates talks this way. Once either of them are safely in office, it will be 100% "Bu$ine$$ a$ U$ual" for another eight(!) long years.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 10-10-2016 at 01:33 PM.
 
Old 10-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #287
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,985

Rep: Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonstone View Post
What's your excuse? :-) Just curious.
Oh, just the coincidence of when the two accounts became active and when one became inactive, the fact that they're the only two strongly pro-Trump accounts here, the similarities in tone between the two accounts, the fact that both were mainly active in General, etc.

Anyway, now you know you have a kindred spirit here.

Last edited by dugan; 10-10-2016 at 02:02 PM.
 
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #288
edmonstone
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: New England, north of the border
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Oh, just the coincidence of when the two accounts became active and when one became inactive, the fact that they're the only two strongly pro-Trump accounts here, the similarities in tone between the two accounts, the fact that both were mainly active in General, etc.
Which bothers you more? The fact that there are ANY pro Trump responses or that I haven't found too much in the forums recently that I may be of assistance with? I can't help you with coincidences. I only need one acct, I have only one acct.
Why don't you just come out and say "I don't like you being around here"? :-)
 
Old 10-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #289
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,985

Rep: Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569Reputation: 4569
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonstone View Post
Why don't you just come out and say "I don't like you being around here"? :-)
Because I do like you around here. I couldn't come up with a better breitbart->breitbart->iknowbetterthanthefbi->russiatoday->antisemitism strawman to feel superior to if I tried.

The fact that you reacted this defensively and refused to believe that the question might have actually been motivated by curiosity (after I explicitly said that it was) is also something that speaks volumes about you. For one thing, it says you're new (so, okay... answer verified), because I'm sure all the regulars know that I wouldn't hold back from saying something like that if I felt it.

In fact, I'm starting to feel sorry that I distracted you. I was looking forward to being entertained for the next 30 days.

Last edited by dugan; 10-10-2016 at 03:35 PM.
 
Old 10-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #290
edmonstone
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: New England, north of the border
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
I couldn't come up with a better breitbart->breitbart->iknowbetterthanthefbi->russiatoday->antisemitism strawman to feel superior to if I tried.
So you were curious as to who the FNG was who obviously doesn't think like the rest of us, and what is he up to? Because, coincidence.
 
Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #291
cousinlucky
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Staten Island N.Y.
Distribution: Antix 16 and PCLinuxOS Mate
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Unfortunately, John falls prey to the same sophistry that he condemns in the candidates. His position is that "socialism never works," and therefore that "Medicare and Medicaid are the problem." (I wonder if he would condemn the Veterans Administration, too?)

And, he, too, then fails to offer any solution to the problem that he has just described. (Before he drives home on the Interstate Highway System without, maybe, paying a toll, then navigates a smaller system of roads to get home ...)

"Okay, let's just let Capitalism run its course," and let it decide that "Hospitals" are simply not a profitable business to be in. We can't make them profitable if we're supposed to provide health-care to anyone who needs care. So, let's just close down all Hospitals and turn our attention to more profitable lines of business.

The trouble is, "a purely market-driven, purely 'Capitalist Ideal'" economy would do just that. Capitalism is exclusively driven by profit and profitability.

And, that's why we need socialism. Because there are certain things that we [should] believe are "basic human rights," such as ... health. There is no opportunity for "a profit motive" in this undertaking, if you actually do it right. Therefore, the cost of health care is paid for entirely by the government and supported by taxes. The remuneration for all services is standardized, and guaranteed. Medical decisions (such as the one that did kill my uncle and that would have killed my father) are no longer made by 'Revenue Management.' All doctors are government employees. Because it is not possible to run health-care for profit, nor to pay for it using insurance which is only "profitable" when the covered-person does not cost the insurance company any money, we provide it through "the Full Faith and Credit of the United States."

"Hospitals, or Warships? Plowshares, or Swords?" It's actually an easy choice to make. I'd much rather see public money being spent to save Americans than to kill Afghans.

But, neither of the two mainstream candidates talks this way. Once either of them are safely in office, it will be 100% "Bu$ine$$ a$ U$ual" for another eight(!) long years.
About once a month, here in New York, the media reports another massive medicaid or medicare rip off of tax dollars!! During and after the Vietnam war I visited some of my friends that had been drafted and sent to war over there and once back here had been confined to the VA hospital because their minds and bodies had been destroyed!! Obamacare was supposed to cure the ills of medicaid and medicare but that has not worked!! I do not know what the solution is but continuing failed programs is not helping anybody!!
 
Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #292
cousinlucky
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Staten Island N.Y.
Distribution: Antix 16 and PCLinuxOS Mate
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515
I wonder just how long the mainstream media is going to keep ignoring the " rape case " pending in court against Mr. Donald Trump?? The girl was 13 years old when she claims Mr. Trump raped her!! The story is here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7352976.html
 
Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 AM   #293
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,344
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135
I'm puzzled that Trump considers Bill Clinton to be the most sexually abusive president ever. Just where on the spectrum would he place John F Kennedy?
 
Old 10-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #294
edmonstone
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: New England, north of the border
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
I wonder just how long the mainstream media is going to keep ignoring the " rape case " pending in court against Mr. Donald Trump?? The girl was 13 years old when she claims Mr. Trump raped her!![/URL]
Well, the third time could be the charm. I bet that new Jane Doe witness is what will put this case over the top.
 
Old 10-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #295
TxLonghorn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Austin Texas
Distribution: Mandrake 9.2
Posts: 702

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
I'm puzzled that Trump considers Bill Clinton to be the most sexually abusive president ever. Just where on the spectrum would he place John F Kennedy?
Hazel, the problem with your posts is that you cut through the BS and smokescreens and talk about facts and logic and stuff like that, that many people don't want to hear...
 
Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #296
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
About once a month, here in New York, the media reports another massive medicaid or medicare rip off of tax dollars!! During and after the Vietnam war I visited some of my friends that had been drafted and sent to war over there and once back here had been confined to the VA hospital because their minds and bodies had been destroyed!! Obamacare was supposed to cure the ills of medicaid and medicare but that has not worked!! I do not know what the solution is but continuing failed programs is not helping anybody!!
Well, it should be obvious that the VA Hospital system should be dismantled. Except for actual war-injuries (whic obviously cannot be profitably treated ...), the US Government, by providing this service to otherwise-healthy veterans and their families, is unlawfully violating the "civil rights of Corporations as Citizens" to make profits.

You see, we always need "less government." No one, not even a soldier or his family, is "entitled" to health care in the United States of America. Health care is not "a fundamental human right." Instead, the Government will force you to buy insurance from a private, for-profit company, whether or not the private, for-profit company that runs your local hospital the profitable hospital closest to you decides that it is profitable for them to accept that brand of insurance. (If that puts you on a 100-mile ambulance ride, then so be it. And if you die along the way, just remember that the "Too bad, the patient died" outcome is pretty-much guaranteed to be profitable.

When we decided that health care should be "for profit," the profit-seeking providers (of course) immediately sent their prices to the moon. A single CAT-scan, which consists of nothing more than pushing a button on a machine that is already installed, might be wort $7,000. I got "a intramuscular shot in my butt" at a hospital and the insurance company was billed $1,300 for "intravenous therapy" ... an outright fraud that I called them out on.

However, I think that the actual chances for reform are remote because it would seem that no one in Congress has the stones to look away from the vast sums of money poured into their laps each week by these providers.
 
Old 10-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #297
TxLonghorn
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Austin Texas
Distribution: Mandrake 9.2
Posts: 702

Rep: Reputation: 231Reputation: 231Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
I got "a intramuscular shot in my butt" at a hospital and the insurance company was billed $1,300 for "intravenous therapy" ... an outright fraud that I called them out on.
Right, I just gave a new puppy a shot that included 8 different vaccines. Total cost? Less than $25 US.
And, (with no insurance), I went to the hospital for an X-ray of a possible broken bone a few years ago, and they said $500 for that. I told them to kiss my gluteus maximus.
 
Old 10-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #298
cousinlucky
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Staten Island N.Y.
Distribution: Antix 16 and PCLinuxOS Mate
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonstone View Post
Well, the third time could be the charm. I bet that new Jane Doe witness is what will put this case over the top.
It all depends on the " others involved " the usual " he said she said " banter takes a back burner to " other witnesses " that might be given immunity for their testimony!!
We might end up with a President Trump convicted of statutory rape and he would be real quick to " pardon himself " of any and all crimes!!
 
Old 10-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #299
cousinlucky
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Staten Island N.Y.
Distribution: Antix 16 and PCLinuxOS Mate
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515
Hazel, " in the old days " the sexual activities of a president were not for public disclosure; there is no way to tell which one of them was the raunchiest!!
 
Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #300
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,344
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135Reputation: 3135
But we do know that Jack and Robert Kennedy hunted together and racked up a huge score.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah Palin and Donald Trump have babies? jamison20000e General 39 01-06-2016 04:04 PM
Donald Trump vows to ban Muslims entering US MEINKS General 88 12-22-2015 01:43 PM
Popular pen drive tutorial - "Success!!!", so why can't it find the kernel? DGeeez Linux - General 9 03-26-2009 08:32 PM
LXer: "Every second apprentice fails on using computers" LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-12-2007 10:30 AM
LXer: "Every second apprentice fails on using computers" LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-12-2007 08:31 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration