LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2024, 05:57 PM   #16
cwizardone
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" and KDE4Town.
Posts: 9,181

Rep: Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368Reputation: 7368

There won't be a debate.
 
Old 05-17-2024, 06:32 PM   #17
wpeckham
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro
Posts: 5,787

Rep: Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773
#1 Trump has now violated his gag order at least four more times. The question is if the prosecution will inform the judge and risk disrupting the trial THIS close to final arguments. They may save it until AFTER there is a verdict, or at least until after the jury starts deliberating. This is separate from the case itself, but may result in jail time. We cannot know, or know when, but it cannot exceed 30 days per charge. IF it was the maximum (VERY unlikely) then he would have good reason to drop out of debate.

#2 Trump got on social media and proved he did not understand the proposed terms or dates less than 8 hours after he agreed to the debate. He may make demands to change it and then claim that he is justified at dropping out if they reject his changes.

Biden has a lot to gain if the debate happens. CNN has a lot to gain if the debate happens. Trump has everything to lose in debate, and is the least likely to keep his commitments or honor his word.
I hope the debate will happen, but the odds are not in my favor.
 
Old 05-17-2024, 08:45 PM   #18
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 19,403
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166Reputation: 6166
I avoid any debates. I try to make my voting decisions on issues and character, not on television sideshows.

I make it a practice not to spend hours watching on television something I can read about in 10 minutes the next day.

Just my one-and-a-half cents.
 
Old 05-17-2024, 09:04 PM   #19
wpeckham
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro
Posts: 5,787

Rep: Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
I avoid any debates. I try to make my voting decisions on issues and character, not on television sideshows.

I make it a practice not to spend hours watching on television something I can read about in 10 minutes the next day.

Just my one-and-a-half cents.
That is a good comment!

But I learn a lot about character, or lack of it, from watching candidates debate!
 
Old 05-18-2024, 06:23 AM   #20
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 824

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
#1 Trump has now violated his gag order at least four more times. The question is if the prosecution will inform the judge and risk disrupting the trial THIS close to final arguments. They may save it until AFTER there is a verdict, or at least until after the jury starts deliberating. This is separate from the case itself, but may result in jail time. We cannot know, or know when, but it cannot exceed 30 days per charge. IF it was the maximum (VERY unlikely) then he would have good reason to drop out of debate.

#2 Trump got on social media and proved he did not understand the proposed terms or dates less than 8 hours after he agreed to the debate. He may make demands to change it and then claim that he is justified at dropping out if they reject his changes.

Biden has a lot to gain if the debate happens. CNN has a lot to gain if the debate happens. Trump has everything to lose in debate, and is the least likely to keep his commitments or honor his word.
I hope the debate will happen, but the odds are not in my favor.
Trump asked for a debate weeks ago. Biden finally said yes. Trump should demand a drug test and possibly a third debate.
 
Old 05-18-2024, 08:21 AM   #21
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 10,706
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949Reputation: 3949
I am startled that Biden is still alive. (Maybe he actually isn't ... maybe he's just "AI?")

I know far too much about Alzheimer's. I also remember "Lenoid Brezhnev."

Although Joe Biden was always "so utterly corrupt" that he probably never saw it coming and probably welcomed it, the things that are now being done to this man are utterly reprehensible. He is now entirely capable of completing a sentence. (If the disease progresses to its end, he will be incapable of swallowing.)

How ruthless are his "handlers?" Is there anyone left on this planet who "actually loves" this pathetic, dying, old, man? ...

("Ronnie" fell to Alzheimer's, too. But the entire nation jealously protected him.)

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 05-18-2024 at 08:25 AM.
 
Old 05-18-2024, 08:52 AM   #22
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 7,704
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503
You mean "entirely incapable".
 
Old 05-18-2024, 10:51 AM   #23
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 11,268

Rep: Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
I am startled that Biden is still alive. (Maybe he actually isn't ... maybe he's just "AI?")

I know far too much about Alzheimer's. I also remember "Lenoid Brezhnev."

Although Joe Biden was always "so utterly corrupt" that he probably never saw it coming and probably welcomed it, the things that are now being done to this man are utterly reprehensible. He is now entirely capable of completing a sentence. (If the disease progresses to its end, he will be incapable of swallowing.)

How ruthless are his "handlers?" Is there anyone left on this planet who "actually loves" this pathetic, dying, old, man? ...

("Ronnie" fell to Alzheimer's, too. But the entire nation jealously protected him.)
If I thought that Trump had the election stolen from under him by an Alzheimer's patient, then I would not think that Trump is smart.

Last edited by dugan; 05-18-2024 at 12:00 PM.
 
Old 05-18-2024, 12:13 PM   #24
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Distribution: Void, Slackware, Debian, OpenBSD
Posts: 7,352

Rep: Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751Reputation: 3751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
I know far too much about Alzheimer's. I also remember "Lenoid Brezhnev."
President Biden shows a slowing down that can be attributed to old age. He's well within the normal range for an 80+ year old. He was outstanding at his state of the union address.
Have you seen the word salad that former President Trump presents at his campaign stops? He doesn't make sense and is showing clear markers for dementia. I suspect he'll continue to be more unhinged in the coming months(especially if he's convicted).
 
Old 05-18-2024, 12:17 PM   #25
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 11,268

Rep: Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340Reputation: 5340
And besides, Biden doesn't have "Alzheimer's" LOL. He has a well-documented, non-cognitive speech impediment called stuttering that some people have made assumptions about. To his advantage.
 
Old 05-18-2024, 12:50 PM   #26
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 824

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
And besides, Biden doesn't have "Alzheimer's" LOL. He has a well-documented, non-cognitive speech impediment called stuttering that some people have made assumptions about. To his advantage.
I stuttered as a child and grew out of it when family and grade school stopped trying to convert me from a lefty to right handedness. I've watched dozens of Biden speeches since the Anita Hill fiasco. His speech is markedly different than it was even in the VP days. Not all the time but often enough that I believe it to be age related.
 
Old 05-18-2024, 01:17 PM   #27
shortarcflyer
Member
 
Registered: May 2022
Location: Louisiana/USA
Distribution: Void, ArchBang, PCLinuxOS, Mabox, ArcoLinux, Archman, RebornOS, Garuda, EndeavourOS
Posts: 566

Rep: Reputation: 74
Biden is a "cabage head". Aka vegetable. His handlers are running things. Trump is a fool. Neither are worth voting for.

Last edited by shortarcflyer; 05-18-2024 at 01:22 PM.
 
Old 05-18-2024, 03:07 PM   #28
wpeckham
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro
Posts: 5,787

Rep: Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773
Guys, I think you are looking at this all wrong. Biden is not showing signs of dementia, and if Trump is they are not so far advanced as to disable him. If either was going to get Alzheimer's the symptoms would normally be expected to be far more obvious and possibly debilitating by their ages, but there is some normal variation.

I suggest we NOT test them for performance enhancing drugs, instead we should group the moderators with both contestants and INSIST they be given performance enhancing drugs! (Safe dosages, of course!)
 
Old 05-18-2024, 06:53 PM   #29
shortarcflyer
Member
 
Registered: May 2022
Location: Louisiana/USA
Distribution: Void, ArchBang, PCLinuxOS, Mabox, ArcoLinux, Archman, RebornOS, Garuda, EndeavourOS
Posts: 566

Rep: Reputation: 74
Biden "keeps falling". I love it!

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...1_c10&ref_url=

Last edited by shortarcflyer; 05-18-2024 at 06:55 PM.
 
Old 05-18-2024, 09:29 PM   #30
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 4,491
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortarcflyer View Post
Neither are worth voting for.
You're 100% right. Neither of them are worth voting for.

BUT one of them is 100% worth voting against, lest your country become a totalitarian dictatorship.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US debates its broadband future Jeebizz Linux - News 0 06-11-2010 07:40 AM
LXer: FOSS Debates, Part 1: Kernel Truths LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-06-2009 09:51 PM
LXer: WFTL Byes! for Oct 3, 2008, Debates, Skype, RedHat, ODF, and 100 reasons LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-04-2008 04:21 AM
LXer: TurboCASH debates moving to Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-18-2006 11:01 AM
Microsoft UK plans 'open and honest' Linux debates XavierP General 1 05-19-2004 07:36 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration