LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
L4Z3R
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2018
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Microsoft unveils its first Linux OS, Azure Sphere


I heard about this from a linux podcast and I am surprised that MS is embracing linux after they once said that linux was a toy/hobbyist operating system and even called a malignant cancer by Steve Ballmer.

I guess MS wants a piece of the cloud pie that linux has a huge advantage over windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_FSuy8mVA4
 
Old 04-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165
They might want a Linux for people to use with their Windows systems that they have control over. (And, who knows, maybe they perceive market-demand for it, especially among their already-captive clientele. Why let RHAT have all the fun?
 
Old 04-23-2018, 03:08 AM   #3
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135Reputation: 1135
Linux fans have forgotten how Microsoft works and still works:

Quote:
91.3.2. Paul Maritz also explained to Intel representatives that Microsoft's response to the browser threat was to "embrace, extend, extinguish"; in other words, Microsoft planned to "embrace" existing Internet standards, "extend" them in incompatible ways, and thereby "extinguish" competitors.
https://www.justice.gov/atr/us-v-mic...-findings-fact

The naive idea that MS just "wants in", on this business may be entertaining for five minutes, but is ultimately very naive.

This is a huge corporation which has sunk billions into it's own software projects, which is still attacking Free Software by proxy using patent trolls.

Throwing some loose change at the Linux foundation doesn't change a thing, it just suckers those who are gullible enough and with a short enough memory. Sadly enough people fall for it and in recent times we've seen how misinformation and propaganda can spread so quickly.
 
Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 AM   #4
L4Z3R
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2018
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I haven't forgotten. I remember all the FUD campaigns against Linux by Microsoft.

I wouldn't touch this nor any other MS products with a 10 foot pole.
 
Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,183

Rep: Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316Reputation: 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4Z3R View Post
I haven't forgotten.
I don't think anyone has. But just in case someone actually has forgotten:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

This is what we're remembering.
 
Old 04-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 1,839

Rep: Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741Reputation: 1741
It always cracks me up (when it doesn't make me shake my head in disgust) when so-called "right wing conservatives" give Lip Service to Capitalism, Supply and Demand when what they really want is Infinite Supply <edit-fixed oops> and Ultimate (and sole control) Demand. I sincerely hope this falls flat on it's nose and MS begins a long, slow spiral down from the Cat Bird Seat..

Last edited by enorbet; 04-23-2018 at 08:13 PM.
 
Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
sevendogsbsd
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Location: Texas
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 151

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I always laugh when I hear the terms "embrace, extend, extinguish" as it relates to microsoft. Yes, that was their motto under their previous dictator as another poster mentioned. The reason I laugh is because they do not have any products worth their weight in 1's and 0's. The reason they used to attempt to "embrace, extend, extinguish" was because of their financial clout. This doesn't hold water in the Opensource world. Sure, if you are Canonical or Red Hat or Suse, it might mean something but microsoft does not have the ability to produce products that perform. Sure, they hold the desktop, but not because of quality, because they flooded the market by partnerships with hardware companies.

I don't worry about microsoft, they can't kill Opensource because it runs the Internet, period. Plenty of FUD out there about this, none of it has come true.
 
Old 04-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,105

Rep: Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709Reputation: 2709
"In the next decade, nearly every consumer gadget, every household appliance, and every industrial device will be connected to the Internet."

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/bl...elligent-edge/

That may be true and not very secure at the same time.
 
Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 13,581
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570Reputation: 3570
There's good reason that Tom Lawrence suggests that "IoT" means "Internet of Targets."
 
Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 AM   #10
L4Z3R
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2018
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have no interest nor want an automation home. I don't want my refrigerator, my TV, my microwave oven or other home appliance to connect to the internet. Only to collect data on me about what I eat and how I use my appliances.

Last edited by L4Z3R; 04-27-2018 at 01:13 AM.
 
Old 04-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
ChuangTzu
Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix, Devuan, FreeBSD
Posts: 823

Rep: Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
There's good reason that Tom Lawrence suggests that "IoT" means "Internet of Targets."
I like the term Internet of Threats....perhaps IoT is the new "SkyNet" or Matrix?
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ka...ats,29450.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)
 
Old 04-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
ChuangTzu
Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix, Devuan, FreeBSD
Posts: 823

Rep: Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4Z3R View Post
I have no interest nor want an automation home. I don't want my refrigerator, my TV, my microwave oven or other home appliance to the internet. Only to collect data on me about what I eat and how I use my appliances.
You say that now, but in 10 years after your subconscious has been beaten to a pulp by designed brain reprogramming and the cult of popular influence you will not only like but demand these devices. [sarcasm and truth]

https://www.johnrampton.com/social-media-mind-control/
 
Old 04-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #13
L4Z3R
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2018
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
You say that now, but in 10 years after your subconscious has been beaten to a pulp by designed brain reprogramming and the cult of popular influence you will not only like but demand these devices. [sarcasm and truth]

https://www.johnrampton.com/social-media-mind-control/
If there are no more dumb appliances in 10 or more years down the road and only internet-connected devices, then let's hope we have an option to disable wifi on that device.


Last edited by L4Z3R; 04-27-2018 at 01:24 AM.
 
Old 04-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
dogpatch
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Central America
Distribution: Mepis, Android
Posts: 291
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4Z3R View Post
I have no interest nor want an automation home. I don't want my refrigerator, my TV, my microwave oven or other home appliance to connect to the internet. Only to collect data on me about what I eat and how I use my appliances.
To 'connect to the internet' may very well change in the next 10 years. Right now, many utility companies have devices attached within the electric meter which send signals back to the power plant's computer via small digital packets sandwiched between the major 60Hz power waves. They are currently (I think) only monitoring your overall power usage so as to eliminate the need for human meter readers. But new electronic devices - washers, dryers, air conditioners, etc - may soon be required to include a chip that will report more details back to the main computer.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
 
Old 04-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #15
L4Z3R
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2018
Posts: 34

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm not paranoid. I'm just not a big fan of smart home automation.

I mean, I don't need an Alexa device to turn on my lights, tell me the weather and etc. I can do this myself.


Last edited by L4Z3R; 04-28-2018 at 08:12 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Why Microsoft chose Linux for Azure Sphere LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-20-2018 09:22 AM
LXer: SUSE Expands its Linux Offerings on Microsoft Azure LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-07-2016 02:06 AM
LXer: Microsoft “loves Linux” as it makes Azure bigger, better LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-21-2014 08:11 AM
LXer: Microsoft (hearts) Linux, for Azure's sake LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-21-2014 02:20 AM
LXer: Linux Coming to Microsoft Windows Azure Cloud? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-03-2012 03:30 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration