LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #46
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187

Granted, UEFI is not the only technology that has been developed to address the "memory stick" issue.

And, I grant that it seems silly on "consumer grade" hardware. Except that I have seen a whole lot of "things that the business owner bought at Staples" sitting on a rack in a co-lo center.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #47
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTenths View Post
Because desktop linux is a pain in the ass. Vendor support, while getting better, is still nowhere near the levels to make linux more than a "niche market" O/S for general day to day use.

Windows just plain works.

Should everyone switch to linux, maybe, but that'll never happen until there's a single "dominant" distro that's aimed at consumers rather than fanboys. And when a single distro becomes dominant enough that software and hardware vendors support that distro there will be a mountain of claims that DeskSlaxTuTux(tm) linux is "abusing it's market share".
I agree, there should be an extremely easy-to-use Linux distribution. Each Linux distribution family (i.e. Red Hat, Debian) has a user-friendly version, but they still have a long way to go.

I seriously doubt that anyone will claim a Linux distribution is abusing its market share - thereís no money involved. Linux is distributed for free (Libre & Gratis). Windows costs $200+. Apple makes money off hardware. Windows is installed on most computers and now itís spying on its users. Apple is producing terrible Mac hardware, which cannot be upgraded, repaired, or expanded - with few exceptions.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #48
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Walsall, UK
Posts: 2,600
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
I agree, there should be an extremely easy-to-use Linux distribution.
Anyone is free to develop one. The difference between end users of Linux based systems and consumers who buy e.g. microsoft or apple products, is that you are "along for the ride" using freely available software, which due to various GPL or BSD style licences, you are free to use or modify however you see fit. (You're also free to develop and market a "product" as canonical, red hat et al, have done.)

The philosophy of waiting for someone to develop something easy - or "standardised" is flawed, but common among a subset of Linux users. It's at odds with how the software is actually developed.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #49
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Anyone is free to develop one. The difference between end users of Linux based systems and consumers who buy e.g. microsoft or apple products, is that you are "along for the ride" using freely available software, which due to various GPL or BSD style licences, you are free to use or modify however you see fit. (You're also free to develop and market a "product" as canonical, red hat et al, have done.)

The philosophy of waiting for someone to develop something easy - or "standardised" is flawed, but common among a subset of Linux users. It's at odds with how the software is actually developed.
I agree. You’re 100% right. It’s just a matter of someone having the skill and the will.

I learned Java a couple years ago, but I really should learn C++. Fortunately, the transition will be a little easier because Java inherits from C++. And even then, I really don’t think I’m ready to make a Linux distribution. But it would be great if someone else gave it a shot.

Last edited by Mr. Macintosh; 03-22-2017 at 11:01 AM.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #50
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Walsall, UK
Posts: 2,600
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080Reputation: 2080
In all honesty, Linux has gotten a lot easier and there are people out there hell bent on creating "easy" software and "easy" distributions for those that want that (and most do).

To list but a few: freedesktop.org and their hosted projects (such as X.org, Wayland, DRI/DRM, systemd, dbus, gstreamer, pulseaudio, avahi, etc) are all aimed at "user friendly" desktops and collaboration/reuse of the same backends.

And gnome has certainly gone to great lengths to provide a standardised and simple desktop environment.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #51
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
In all honesty, Linux has gotten a lot easier and there are people out there hell bent on creating "easy" software and "easy" distributions for those that want that (and most do).

To list but a few: freedesktop.org and their hosted projects (such as X.org, Wayland, DRI/DRM, systemd, dbus, gstreamer, pulseaudio, avahi, etc) are all aimed at "user friendly" desktops and collaboration/reuse of the same backends.

And gnome has certainly gone to great lengths to provide a standardised and simple desktop environment.
Yeah, it has come a long way - to the point where I could actually use it as my primary OS. Iím just saying there are a lot of folks who arenít tech-savvy enough for some things in Linux. But yeah, it really depends on the distribution. A Slackware user might go handing out Slackware discs at work, and get a lot questions. On the other hand, an Ubuntu user could hand out Ubuntu discs at work and get no questions.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #52
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,585

Rep: Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351
Erm, there are two Linuxes with wide support and use -- Android and Chrome OS. There's a niche player, also, which I wish were more than that -- SteamOS.
I find Android (which I am typing this on) a horrific thing to use, Chrome OS is a Linux distribution disabled my only allowing a browser and SteamOS is one disabled by just allowing games. The reason they are so horrible (to me, at least) is because they're locked down for the lowest common denominator who wants trashy pay-for-point "games" and reality TV.
Were Linux to make the changes necessary to be popular it would just becom Windows or iOS, as it has with Android.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #53
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
If you want to see Unix well-deployed, just look at Macs and iPhones. Both run Unix Ė but you'd never know.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #54
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
Erm, there are two Linuxes with wide support and use -- Android and Chrome OS. There's a niche player, also, which I wish were more than that -- SteamOS.
I find Android (which I am typing this on) a horrific thing to use, Chrome OS is a Linux distribution disabled my only allowing a browser and SteamOS is one disabled by just allowing games. The reason they are so horrible (to me, at least) is because they're locked down for the lowest common denominator who wants trashy pay-for-point "games" and reality TV.
Were Linux to make the changes necessary to be popular it would just becom Windows or iOS, as it has with Android.
Thatís exactly my point. Android is horrible, User Interface & security. ChromeOS is barely functional - just a web browser. Iíll stick with Ubuntu Gnome - yes, I realize Ubuntu Gnome is just Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop environment; I just prefer Gnome to Unity.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #55
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,585

Rep: Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
Thatís exactly my point. Android is horrible, User Interface & security. ChromeOS is barely functional - just a web browser. Iíll stick with Ubuntu Gnome - yes, I realize Ubuntu Gnome is just Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop environment; I just prefer Gnome to Unity.
Android is what "the consumer demanded".
Anything used by "the masses" is likely to be junk as the masses are stupid, uneducated, brainwashed, ignorant and have short memory spans.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #56
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
If you want to see Unix well-deployed, just look at Macs and iPhones. Both run Unix Ė but you'd never know.
I agree. Iíve been using iOS since 2008, and Iíve been using MacOS since 2011. But now Iím looking to get out of the Mac world and into the Linux world due to the (in my opinion) crappy new Mac hardware: no upgrades, no repairs, no expansion - a techieís nightmare.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #57
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
Android is what "the consumer demanded".
Anything used by "the masses" is likely to be junk as the masses are stupid, uneducated, brainwashed, ignorant and have short memory spans.
Youíre about a step away from calling them ďa basket of deplorables.Ē.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #58
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,585

Rep: Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
Youíre about a step away from calling them ďa basket of deplorables.Ē.
Do you have any evidence to the contrary?
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #59
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
Do you have any evidence to the contrary?
Well, no. I’m just saying that you’re an egotistical elitist, looking down on most Americans. I bet you said you'd move to Canada if Trump won. With your attitude towards most Americans, you’re a much better fit for MacRumors than LinuxQuestions. One of the great things about Linux is that it provides a great OS for people who can’t afford a Windows license (and MS Office) or a Mac. Not everyone who runs Linux has a PhD in CS.

Last edited by Mr. Macintosh; 03-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #60
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 7,585

Rep: Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
Well, no. Iím just saying that youíre an egotistical elitist, looking down on most Americans. I bet you said you'd move to Canada if Trump won. With your attitude towards most Americans, youíre a much better fit for MacRumors than LinuxQuestions. One of the great things about Linux is that it provides a great OS for people who canít afford a Windows license (and MS Office) or a Mac. Not everyone who runs Linux has a PhD in CS.
Prety much everything you assume about me in this post is incorrect.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Microsoft Denies Locking out Linux Stories LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-26-2011 03:50 PM
LXer: VMware rains hardware deals on Microsoft's parade LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-26-2008 11:40 AM
Athlon locking up after hardware upgrade/Debian reinstall Storm16 Linux - Hardware 0 05-20-2006 09:43 PM
LXer: Microsoft study finds Linux to have no advantage on older hardware LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-09-2006 09:16 PM
Microsoft Hardware on Linux DarkHawke SUSE / openSUSE 1 10-19-2004 07:10 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration