LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #31
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 2,090

Rep: Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044Reputation: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
I still have [URL="https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mobile-81/do-you-sometimes-feel-your-new-purchased-android-is-obsolete-when-you-open-the-box-4175547901/#post5396805"]the same Unthinkable for the zombies, where it must be "smart" and they need a new "upgrade" every 12 months or so. It still works, batter life is still good enough. When it finally dies, I'll look for something similar.
Like these? https://www.lifewire.com/basic-cell-phones-577534
 
Old 02-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #32
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,215
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307
Oh but it's not dead... not yet..

Those look too expensive and feature-full. There are still some 15 - 20 things about, some aimed at the elderly...
 
Old 02-05-2019, 02:41 AM   #33
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,725
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
But does the wording matter? If one understands the intent in the statement, then picking over the wording may be unnecessarily pedantic.
it's not just the wording.

i said all this before, but here we go again in different words:

if you are against something, please take the time to think about it and make a reasonable argument that will stand up in discussion.
express your opinion by all means, but mark it so and don't mix it with the facts.
blowing every fact up beyond recognition, presenting random youtube videos as the ultimate supporting argument...
that will just make people think you're stupid, instead of considering your point.
it's the equivalent of teenagers saying "that was, like, a million times" when in fact it was three.
it's the birth of the ever-dreaded rumour that moves away from the original information at the speed of sound.

in short, it's harmful to the thing you are defending.
 
Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #34
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" & Xfce.
Posts: 4,461
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
I absolutely refuse to buy a "smart" phone and will only do so, IF and When, it gets to the point it is absolutely necessary to do whatever has to be done.
Over the years I've spend several hundred dollars on individual cellphones, but the best phone I've owned to date was just under $25.00 at a major retail outlet.
It is a LG flip phone and does everything I need to do, which is just talk and text. Not interested in anything else.
 
Old 02-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #35
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix, Devuan, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,162

Rep: Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
I absolutely refuse to buy a "smart" phone and will only do so, IF and When, it gets to the point it is absolutely necessary to do whatever has to be done.
Over the years I've spend several hundred dollars on individual cellphones, but the best phone I've owned to date was just under $25.00 at a major retail outlet.
It is a LG flip phone and does everything I need to do, which is just talk and text. Not interested in anything else.
You heretic!
 
Old 02-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #36
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix, Devuan, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,162

Rep: Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
it's not just the wording.

i said all this before, but here we go again in different words:

if you are against something, please take the time to think about it and make a reasonable argument that will stand up in discussion.
express your opinion by all means, but mark it so and don't mix it with the facts.
blowing every fact up beyond recognition, presenting random youtube videos as the ultimate supporting argument...
that will just make people think you're stupid, instead of considering your point.
it's the equivalent of teenagers saying "that was, like, a million times" when in fact it was three.
it's the birth of the ever-dreaded rumour that moves away from the original information at the speed of sound.

in short, it's harmful to the thing you are defending.
Yawn, you just don't like facts that are contrary to your beliefs/comforts. Otherwise, why argue every post that does not agree with you.

https://www.hackread.com/samsung-sma...conversations/
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/samsung-smart-tv-spying/
https://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/tec...acy/index.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/if-y...-settings.html

In other words, as I mentioned before its not just Facebook and Google, it is the very reason why these "smart" devices were created. That's also why they gave it the egotistical name "smart", do you feel smarter being spied on? Guess most people would not buy it if it was called spy phone, spy tv, spy refrigerator etc...

Last edited by ChuangTzu; 02-05-2019 at 04:46 PM.
 
Old 02-06-2019, 04:34 AM   #37
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 1,234
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
I absolutely refuse to buy a "smart" phone and will only do so, IF and When, it gets to the point it is absolutely necessary to do whatever has to be done.
At some point it'll be hard to avoid getting one since many services will exclusively require an app to use them.

By then the Purism phone will be out though, so it won't be that bad.
 
Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #38
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17
Posts: 5,627
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676Reputation: 2676
Best thing I like about these kind of threads. It reminds me to check up on family .
Cuz I cannot control their computer druthers.

Crickets chirp on my profile . I use facebook soo much.
 
Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #39
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,725
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
Yawn, you just don't like facts that are contrary to your beliefs/comforts. Otherwise, why argue every post that does not agree with you.
you completely misunderstand me. you are preaching to the choir so to speak.
i am not against your opinions in this matter, quite the contrary.
and i know that these things are really happening, they are facts.

but i am against the way you present them.
just re-read my last post, maybe it'll click this time.
 
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #40
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,476

Rep: Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159Reputation: 1159
Personally, I don't think smartphones were designed as "spy devices" as such, and per se. I think it's far more of a case that like with IoT devices, security just wasn't considered when these things were being developed. And therefore, these kinds of devices, particularly with all of the "features" they have, are wide open to being used as "spy devices", and indeed are being used for such purposes.

It goes back to what I was saying before, in that: we as a society allow this kind of thing to happen in the first place, why? Well it's like "supply and demand", we "demand" tech that does all of these weird and "wonderful" things for us, like taking a narcissistic picture of ourself, sorry, a "selfie", and of course there's always someone looking to make a buck on it, and milk it for all it's worth.

On another note, I do agree with the point, that if it's clear what someone means in their post, it's pretty silly in my book to be pedantic in response to their post(s). It was pretty clear what the meaning behind ChuangTzu's posts (among other members) were to me. And if one knows the point the person is making, and particularly if they say they agree with it, then is all the more silly to be debating the words used.

PS: To me personally, a "dumbphone" is one that can ONLY make calls and send texts, and nothing more...

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 02-07-2019 at 01:31 AM. Reason: corrected typos and additions
 
Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #41
Robert_S
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2019
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I deleted my account some time back, around the time of the first big scandal, but not because of it. My ex was stalking me through FB, so I deleted all my friends and deleted the account. Haven't been back, but recently, was thinking how to get my guitar work out there.
 
Old 02-17-2019, 03:56 AM   #42
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,725
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680Reputation: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
recently, was thinking how to get my guitar work out there.
bandcamp is certainly used a lot with meta sites growing around it.
soundcloud, too.
 
Old 02-17-2019, 04:44 AM   #43
petelq
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: openSUSE(Leap and Tumbleweed) and a regularly changing third
Posts: 356

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
We seem to have gone way off course from the op. I just re-read it and I was thinking, what a great word "perfidy" is.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: VW scandal highlights irony of EPA opposition to vehicle software tinkering LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-23-2015 12:53 AM
LXer: Top Patent Judge Steps Down Over Ethics Scandal, Highlighting How CAFC Has Become Too Close To LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-25-2014 06:23 PM
LXer: NSA Scandal Reveals Google is not really like Linux and never was. LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 06-10-2013 10:33 AM
LXer: Copyright Corruption Scandal Surrounds Anti-Piracy Campaign LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-03-2011 06:51 AM
LXer: Microsoft implicated in a news fixing scandal LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-29-2011 09:20 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration