LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 1,533

Rep: Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369
Keyboard recommendations?


my aging Microsoft Media Keybord 3000 is on its way out. The "a" key is sticking and my bandaid fixes are not wkring anymore. Any recommendations for keyboard that is quiet, not tiny, not mechanical, and under $30?

Thanks
 
Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 14,047
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794Reputation: 3794
I don't know if you can get them separately, but I quite like the keyboard that came with my Lenovo graphics tablet.

You might check your local thrift and second-hand stores. You may be able to pick up an excellent device for not much money.
 
Old 03-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Soadyheid
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Distribution: Cinnamon Mint 17.3 (Netbook) and 18.3 (Desktop)
Posts: 1,407

Rep: Reputation: 334Reputation: 334Reputation: 334Reputation: 334
A keyboard's (nearly!) a keyboard. This looks like a reasonable, cheap one from Amazon. $12.99

In the UK I'd go for this Logitech from Amazon but that obviously has a UK key layout.
So saying, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "not mechanical", most keyboards are mechanical in some way or another, even if it's just crushable rubber keys which work with a couple of flexible membrane circuits.

Here's one which just falls within your price range ($29.99) and is definitely NOT mechanical in the sense I think you mean. (Oops! Sorry, it's a UK layout.)

Play Bonny!

 
Old 03-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Myk267
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 389
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soadyheid View Post
A keyboard's (nearly!) a keyboard. This looks like a reasonable, cheap one from Amazon. $12.99

In the UK I'd go for this Logitech from Amazon but that obviously has a UK key layout.
So saying, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "not mechanical", most keyboards are mechanical in some way or another, even if it's just crushable rubber keys which work with a couple of flexible membrane circuits.

Here's one which just falls within your price range ($29.99) and is definitely NOT mechanical in the sense I think you mean. (Oops! Sorry, it's a UK layout.)

Play Bonny!

I bought one of those Amazon keyboards, a while back. I probably wouldn't do it again. I had to send the first one back because of a defect. Overall, they're okay, but you're definitely getting your money's worth (all $12 of it!). I wish I could send myself frankbell's advice of sourcing one from a second-hand store to my past self...
 
Old 03-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 1,945

Rep: Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843
Hello Daedra
Please allow me to make a suggestion. Because I don't know how you use a keyboard (how important it is to you) but must assume since you use Linux that it has more importance to you than many Windows users, I'm going to link a video review so you can see for yourself if any of these features appeals to you. It does cost more than 30 bucks but I've seen some on eBay that are very close to that price. Common retail outlets like Newegg and Amazon run about twice that but you will very likely find some very attractive features that you may not even realize exist such as larger keys (fewer typos, more comfort) and auto illuminated keys that adjust to the brightness of your room. It's also wireless providing greater portability and a more organized physical desktop. Enough from me, see for yourself the excellent Logitech K800 here =====>>>

--- Logitech K800 Review Demo ---
 
Old 04-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: CentOS, Xubuntu
Posts: 5,086

Rep: Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693Reputation: 1693
My Logitech keyboard is 14 years old. I've had to relabel the key tops a few times, but the innards are still OK — absit omen!

Personally, I still miss the IBM model M that I used at work in the 1980s — mechanical and certainly not quiet. You can also use one as a weapon in emergencies...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRrqQdMfYKw
 
Old 04-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 1,533

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, after looking at hundred of keyboards and reading reviews I think I have narrowed it down to either or these two.

Corsair K55 RGB
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gamin...a301be7f95cb48

Azio KB506
https://www.amazon.com/Azio-Keyboard.../dp/B00I0S6SK0

Right now I am leaning toward the Azio just because it is almost identical to my old Microsoft Media 3000 keyboard so the "getting used" period would be non-exsistent and its cheaper. However I am intrigued by the corsair and it looks pretty solid, but with out being able to actually put my hands on it, it's hard to pull the trigger.
 
Old 04-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 1,533

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
Hello Daedra
Please allow me to make a suggestion. Because I don't know how you use a keyboard (how important it is to you) but must assume since you use Linux that it has more importance to you than many Windows users, I'm going to link a video review so you can see for yourself if any of these features appeals to you. It does cost more than 30 bucks but I've seen some on eBay that are very close to that price. Common retail outlets like Newegg and Amazon run about twice that but you will very likely find some very attractive features that you may not even realize exist such as larger keys (fewer typos, more comfort) and auto illuminated keys that adjust to the brightness of your room. It's also wireless providing greater portability and a more organized physical desktop. Enough from me, see for yourself the excellent Logitech K800 here =====>>>

--- Logitech K800 Review Demo ---
I actually looked at this one seriously, but I don't want a wireless keyboard and its just slightly more than I am wanting to pay. I looked at the K740 which is very similar and it wired, but the deal breaker was that the insert key was removed in favor of a larger delete key.
 
Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 1,945

Rep: Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
I looked at the K740 which is very similar and it wired, but the deal breaker was that the insert key was removed in favor of a larger delete key.
Both the Corsair and the Azio look decent enough and Corsair has a very fine longterm reputation and it is likely that either would suit you, just FTR the Logitech K740 you mentioned actually only removed ONE "Insert" key since most keyboards come with two, the second one being on the Keypad module. The K740 retains the Keypad "Insert" key so that choice may still be viable for you.

I don't get why you dismiss wireless but that is totally up to you. Certainly the added cost is a valid and personal concern. It looks like you are narrowing the field successfully but like you I really do prefer such tactile things as Mice and Keyboards be something I can try out for myself. Here's hoping you are more than satisfied with what you choose. I have been both lucky and unlucky on blind online purchases of mice and keyboards.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microwriter (chorded keyboard) emulation on standard keyboard (not music chords) flexdream Linux - Newbie 3 09-05-2014 03:13 PM
Keyboard recommendations solicited danielbmartin General 3 03-07-2012 11:08 AM
RF Wireless Keyboard and Mice Recommendations Woodsman Linux - Hardware 1 09-07-2009 05:22 PM
Need an ergonomic multimedia-keyboard, any recommendations? deek242 Linux - Hardware 3 03-10-2007 11:48 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration