LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #46
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 3,514

Rep: Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
what on me has evolved? I may have grown larger then I was when I was born, but what on me has evolved?
Well for one since you were born over a million years after moderately distant ancestors, you were born without a tail and, rumor has it, a larger more complex brain.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #47
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 3,514

Rep: Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
Religion is not called hearsay in a court of law it is called. Freedom of religion. <snip>

For me to tell a judge that this is how God makes the leaves in a tree turn colors at a given time in a season, then explain the process by which it does will not be called hearsay. That falls under freedom of religion.
While you do indeed have the right to believe in religion as you see fit under the law (well... to an extent, depending on if your chosen one is considered a cult, etc. ) anything pertinent to the case based on religion alone will not be admissible in court. For example, if you say, "Satan made that man right there rob from that other man. God revealed this to me in a vision" I'm sure you realize that will be objected to (probably by both lawyers) and stricken from the record and the jury instructed to disregard that statement as hearsay.

if, for some reason you actually find some reason to speak about the leaves turning color, I'd suppose the judge would say, "Let the jury note that it apparently was Autumn."

It sems to me that OPs question has been answered and links provided to learn more on the subject. So if you would be so kind, please move this discussion, assuming you wish to continue, to the religion Mega thread. I, for one, won't speak on this again in this thread other than as a reminder to that effect. I'm no moderator but if we don't police ourselves like civilized adults, the burden gets placed on them and I'm quite sure that's an unwanted occurrence.

Last edited by enorbet; 02-09-2017 at 12:46 PM.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #48
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
Well for one since you were born over a million years after moderately distant ancestors, you were born without a tail and, rumor has it, a larger more complex brain.
rrrrriiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhttttt

My ancestors had a tail and I suppose if I had a bigger imagination I had wings too and gills so I could get around everywhere without the need for other forms of transportation. but due to the unintelligent means that my ancestors came into being by this thing that created my ancestors that had no way of telling itself how to create anything in the first place because it posses no intelligence whatsoever to do so somehow created.

isn't that like saying the computer created itself by means other then an intelligent one.

Last edited by BW-userx; 02-09-2017 at 12:46 PM.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #49
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 3,514

Rep: Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404
@BX-userx -
Since you replied roughly at the same time as my last post regarding the proper thread, I'll answer and again invite you to take this there.

AFAIK none of our ancestors had wings but some almost certainly did have gills and before that, much before that our ancestors were bacteria, including yeast. DNA, for one thing, gives this extreme probability. There is no evidence for Adam and Eve ... none! ... but it does get pretty close since at one time, ancestors firmly known to be direct ancestors of Homo Sapiens were reduced to a population of roughly 1000, an extremely small gene pool.

These concepts have nothing to do with "imagination" and everything to do with rigorous hard work by generations of men seeking answers. Yes, some of those were dead ends and a few were found to be fraudulent. In logic it is just as valuable to define "Not A" as it is to define "A" to fully describe it. Frauds were discovered and corrected usually within months and very few lasted more than a few years. However it took The Church ~300 years to finally and begrudgingly admit their denunciation and ill treatment of Galileo was wrong. It seems the Earth is not the center of the Universe and not even the center of the Solar System after all

Last edited by enorbet; 02-09-2017 at 01:02 PM.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #50
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
@BX-userx -
Since you replied roughly at the same time as my last post regarding the proper thread, I'll answer and again invite you to take this there.
there being where? huh?
whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post

AFAIK none of our ancestors had wings but some almost certainly did have gills and before that, much before that our ancestors were bacteria, including yeast.
AFAIK= as far as you know. How did you come about this knowing? Taking someone else word for it or actually going out and finding out the truth on your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
DNA, for one thing, gives this extreme probability.
PROBABILITY but not certainly. notice the words you use shows no real hard proof.

yeah I probability did have a tail because it is called my tail bone. does not mean I actually had a tail, it is only the end point of my spine, it has to stop somewhere. Else what would happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
There is no evidence for Adam and Eve ... none! ...
what kind of basis for an argument is that, no shit really? wow they can't find the bones of lots of people does not mean that they never existed. stupid argument.

but there is evidence of the Garden of Eden so explain away that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
but it does get pretty close since at one time, ancestors firmly known to be direct ancestors of Homo Sapiens were reduced to a population of roughly 1000, an extremely small gene pool.
where are your proofs in whatever the hell that is trying to covey to me? just telling me something does not mean it is a truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post

These concepts have nothing to do with "imagination"
they have everything to do with imagination. one still does not actually know what a dinosaur actually looks like. Just because they found the bones to it they still have no actual proof of what it really actually looks like with skin attached to it, one just used their imagination along with other types of animals to spark their imagination get an idea of that they may have looked like to finish the product.

One imagines something then goes off to try and prove it. the Imagination is used in many aspects of life. Lots of it within Science itself. Imagine what we could do if we could harness the power of the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
and everything to do with rigorous hard work by generations of men seeking answers. Yes, some of those were dead ends and a few were found to be fraudulent. In logic it is just as valuable to define "Not A" as it is to define "A"

to fully describe it.
expand that thought for me looks like your thought skipped a beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
Frauds were discovered and corrected usually within months and very few lasted more than a few years. However it took The Church ~300 years to finally and begrudgingly admit their denunciation and ill treatment of Galileo was wrong. It seems the Earth is not the center of the Universe and not even the center of the Solar System after all
how man got here and how this Universe got here and if the planet we are standing on is the center of anything is apples and oranges. The comparisons do not make a valid argument to the origins of mankind. If he came into being due to an unintelligent means that does not have any conscious awareness of itself or anything else for that matter or by a Creator that has the ability to think and reason and use logic and also has the ability to not only use psychic and math and everything else man figured out because it was already here Before man got here.

But this unintelligent means that caused life as we know it to exist and to set the solar system to do what it does all by the means of not knowing how to do anything.

if that where true we'd not even need Linux Questions to ask questions to find out anything. we'd mimic what we came from and things would just get done without any comprehension of how on our part.

but wait an unintelligent means that has no conscious awareness of itself or anything around it. No intelligence whatsoever created something it was not.

That is like saying a single cell that has no life within itself created something outside of itself, no part of itself whatsoever was used for this single cell to create something other then itself and created it even more than itself.

can that even take place within science?

it defies psychics does it not?

mod:
mankind that has intelligence and he cannot even make something more then himself even.
end mod:

I will not even try to justify why someone else did what they did.
why the "Church" would not give in and say ok so the earth is not round after all. that still does have anything to do with how Mankind got here.

Last edited by BW-userx; 02-09-2017 at 01:58 PM.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #51
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US( + travel,) Earth( I wish,) END BORDER$!◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 4,281
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419
Arrow

I didn't say physically, BW-userx(: I knew that would scare you as we are;) but, religion has evolved,,, WHY‽

Last edited by jamison20000e; 02-11-2017 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added new toy "‽" :D
 
Old 02-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #52
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
VSauce - Would Headlights Work at Light Speed?
 
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #53
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 3,514

Rep: Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
<Every response is completely ignorant of the process of actual Science, even including the denial that simple things can combine to make more complex and different things one very common example being Sodium and Chlorine or Hydrogen and Oxygen. I try to adhere to the etiquette of not hijacking threads so I'm not going to go through each one, one by one, here. All snipped>
Plus I defined "there" as the Faith and Religion Mega Thread (why you didn't see that is beyond me) so as I further said, I won't answer questions here in this Black Hole thread regarding Faith and Religion
 
Old 02-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #54
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,164

Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Trying to steer this thread back to OP's question, and break everyone's brain

VSauce - Inside A Black Hole
Top Trending - What Does The Inside Of A Black Hole Look Like?
Curious Droid - What If Time Did Not Exist?
 
Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #55
jailbait
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Mineral, Virginia
Distribution: Debian 8
Posts: 7,891

Rep: Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeehan View Post
Are not all the glaciers whose melting will cause this raise in sea levels already displacing their own mass?
Floating ice is already displacing its own mass of water. So when sea ice freezes or melts the sea level does not change.

Glaciers on land are not displacing their own mass of water. So when land glaciers freeze or melt the sea level does change. When the continental size glaciers in the last ice age began melting sea level began rising all over the world. The current sea level is significantly higher than it was 40,000 years ago. We still have a way to go until all of the ice created in the last (current) ice age has melted.

--------------------
Steve Stites
 
Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #56
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 3,514

Rep: Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404
For all of you, like johnmeehan, that perhaps have fallen prey to Big Oil's propaganda regarding Global Climate Change with such inane fabrications as "all of the ice displacing it's own mass in water already" it is actually possible to witness this for yourself so that you don't have to take the word of some self-proclaimed authority. I've already invited everyone who is interested in real serious study to come to The Physics Forums and this is one good example why. One of the moderators went to college with a man who started out studying Geology and who loved photography and film. During his field work he began to see radical changes in ice so he decided to make a full time study taking many years to see the truth for himself.

The results were so stunning that he decided to not only submit his work for peer review but to release some of the film as a publicly available movie for all to see. During the final year of the study the Physics Forum moderator was invited to accompany the crew and see the process up close and terrifyingly personal. It was he on those forums that announced the resulting film --- Chasing Ice --- was about to be released and then again later when it was nominated for so many awards. If you like the above Trailer you will be stunned by the full movie. It is available from many online sources and something everyone should see and would appreciate. It doesn't hurt that it is so visually beautiful and breathtaking. A terrific family film.

Last edited by enorbet; 02-10-2017 at 11:02 PM.
 
Old 02-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #57
jailbait
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Mineral, Virginia
Distribution: Debian 8
Posts: 7,891

Rep: Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
For all of you, like johnmeehan, that perhaps have fallen prey to Big Oil's propaganda regarding Global Climate Change with such inane fabrications as "all of the ice displacing it's own mass in water already" it is actually possible to witness this for yourself so that you don't have to take the word of some self-proclaimed authority.
You can decide the question for yourself without reference to any authority. Float an ice cube in a glass of water and mark the water level. Then wait for the ice cube to melt and check the water level again.

------------------------
Steve Stites
 
Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #58
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US( + travel,) Earth( I wish,) END BORDER$!◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 4,281
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419Reputation: 1419
Ice above and out of the water goes down into the water, a cup that's cute!

Trump says f green holes... one way or another.
 
Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #59
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 3,514

Rep: Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbait View Post
You can decide the question for yourself without reference to any authority. Float an ice cube in a glass of water and mark the water level. Then wait for the ice cube to melt and check the water level again.

------------------------
Steve Stites
How is it that you don't understand that such places as Greenland and Antarctica (both land masses, one a continent) are covered in an ice sheet that is in places, miles thick and cover an area greater than 50,000 km2 (19,000 sq mi) to qualify as "Ice Sheet"? This does not include "ice caps" and glaciers smaller than 20,000 square miles. Antarctica alone has approximately .... well here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia-Ice Sheet
The Antarctic ice sheet is the largest single mass of ice on Earth. It covers an area of almost 14 million km2 and contains 30 million km3 of ice. Around 90% of the fresh water on the Earth's surface is held in the ice sheet, and, if melted, would cause sea levels to rise by 58 metres (almost 200 feet).[3] The continent-wide average surface temperature trend of Antarctica is positive and significant at >0.05 C/decade since 1957.[4]
Just in case you have trouble visualizing that awesome mass, if it was not laid out over a large land mass but was instead frozen as a perfect "ice cube" it would be just shy of 200 miles long, wide and deep. If you stood anywhere near the bottom it is unlikely you could see the top nor even both sides at the same time since the range of visibility for a person 6 feet tall at sea level is less than 5 miles. So if you were standing at the exact middle you would have to walk for days just to be able to see any one side. Wrap your mind around that!

Last edited by enorbet; 02-12-2017 at 06:15 AM.
 
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #60
jailbait
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Mineral, Virginia
Distribution: Debian 8
Posts: 7,891

Rep: Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
How is it that you don't understand that such places as Greenland and Antarctica (both land masses, one a continent) are covered in an ice sheet that is in places, miles thick and cover an area greater than 50,000 km2 (19,000 sq mi) to qualify as "Ice Sheet"? This does not include "ice caps" and glaciers smaller than 20,000 square miles.
I never said they weren't. These are the tail end remnants of the current ice age.

------------------------
Steve Stites

Last edited by jailbait; 02-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel inside a black hole! Hungry ghost General 7 01-04-2018 02:21 PM
Black hole attack help ramamohanreddypilli Linux - Newbie 13 09-20-2016 06:05 AM
Implementing black hole node in NS-2.35 ameet Linux - Newbie 0 06-27-2012 06:20 AM
my domain is in a dns black hole or something... sneakyimp Linux - Server 2 01-26-2010 01:08 PM
FC5, the memory black hole seimour Fedora 3 04-17-2006 04:30 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration