LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
dave@burn-it.co.uk
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Distribution: Puppy
Posts: 565

Rep: Reputation: 169Reputation: 169

And above all, from now on do NOT do any work for him without cash up front or no machine back.
 
Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #17
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,106

Rep: Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242
This movie has Bridget Fonda doing that to a client who was late paying for her IT service:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105414/
 
Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #18
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,451

Rep: Reputation: 253Reputation: 253Reputation: 253
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
The "script" is just four words long. It goes:

F*ck You. Pay Me.

Any more questions?

(Do note that we don't help people plant ransomware here. Read the rules.)
Or drop a mail on the mailbox with a printed bullet, with a caption pay what you owe. LOL.
 
Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #19
Ashrael
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you all for your replies. I put up a cron job to run 2 months from now that shuts down all of his network. I also made a hidden script to fix it. This guy doesnt have the knowhow to figure it out i am sure. But it looks like all of this won't be needed after all, he payd half already and will pay the other half when he picks it up. So i will run my script when he comes to pick it up and fix all of it before he takes it home.

As for encrypting the harddrive, i wouldn't do that, that would be harsh imo.

Making up a contract isn't very handy for me as it would be a hassle to get the bit of money the legal way, lawyers and baylifs are expensive round here. And of course that would be all on his account in the end but it wouldn't be worth it for me. Over the years i was screwed out of only a few 100 in total, way less than one visit to a lawyer or baylif would be. It was just that i saw it coming this time and wanted to make sure he payd up.

I made copies of all of it for possible future use, although most people see the value of my work and pay happily, thanks you all once again.
 
Old 04-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #20
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 19,999

Rep: Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750Reputation: 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I put up a cron job to run 2 months from now that shuts down all of his network. I also made a hidden script to fix it. This guy doesnt have the knowhow to figure it out i am sure. But it looks like all of this won't be needed after all, he payd half already and will pay the other half when he picks it up. So i will run my script when he comes to pick it up and fix all of it before he takes it home.

As for encrypting the harddrive, i wouldn't do that, that would be harsh imo.
And pretty risky, too. Bear in mind that contracts go BOTH WAYS. He contacted you to repair his machine, and if its ever found out that you *INTENTIONALLY* broke it (no matter the reason), then HE would have recourse as well. And he could do that by just taking it to someone else, and having THEM find your script. Keeping the machine? Theft...sorry, but true. Those are his goods, and while you are owed money, if push comes to shove they can call the police and they will make you give it back, regardless. There is a difference between civil and criminal law.
Quote:
Making up a contract isn't very handy for me as it would be a hassle to get the bit of money the legal way, lawyers and baylifs are expensive round here. And of course that would be all on his account in the end but it wouldn't be worth it for me. Over the years i was screwed out of only a few 100 in total, way less than one visit to a lawyer or baylif would be. It was just that i saw it coming this time and wanted to make sure he payd up.
Contracts don't have to involve any of that. You can make one yourself, and something as simple as "Customer agrees to pay the total amount within <however many days>, or legal action will be taken", on the bottom of a work-order. Have them sign, and (if you're wanting to be very safe), have a security camera recording your front-desk when that happens.
Quote:
I made copies of all of it for possible future use, although most people see the value of my work and pay happily, thanks you all once again.
No worries, and I feel for you, truly. Been there, and try not to visit often.
 
Old 04-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
bitfuzzy
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 91

Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
And pretty risky, too. Bear in mind that contracts go BOTH WAYS. He contacted you to repair his machine, and if its ever found out that you *INTENTIONALLY* broke it (no matter the reason), then HE would have recourse as well. And he could do that by just taking it to someone else, and having THEM find your script. Keeping the machine? Theft...sorry, but true. Those are his goods, and while you are owed money, if push comes to shove they can call the police and they will make you give it back, regardless. There is a difference between civil and criminal law.
Well said
 
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #22
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,106

Rep: Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242Reputation: 3242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
I put up a cron job to run 2 months from now that shuts down all of his network. I also made a hidden script to fix it. This guy doesnt have the knowhow to figure it out i am sure.
Quote:
Making up a contract isn't very handy for me as it would be a hassle to get the bit of money the legal way, lawyers and baylifs are expensive round here.
You do realize that if you did end up resorting to that kind of extortion, then a very likely consequence would have been that a) he would have sued you, b) your posts here would have been entered as evidence, and c) the fact that you didn't have a contract would have been used in his defense?

Last edited by dugan; 04-12-2018 at 11:59 AM.
 
Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #23
PatrickMay16
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: London, England.
Distribution: Debian oldstable
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: 53
dugan is right. You should be careful in this situation, you would likely get in trouble for extortion. You should just stop working for this person if he's not paying you according to your agreement.

Regards,
PM
Code:
")N9+Wx)P'9nhdS{9+Wx)P'9e((}9oyo$)x^'96@Dx$P95WJWjF9`yJ9J#xx)xN9Y)x#Vg#WP6)yxP;yJN9Dxf9DYYyl)xN9jW96y9oyx6)x#W9+yP6)xN9W/Wx9D`6WJ9@D/)xN9Ny66Wx9)x96Jy#CYW9`yJ9)xD++Jy+J)D6W9YDxN#DNW;
 
  


Closed Thread

Tags
cron, password


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to import IP, MAC, Customer, Hardcoded IP's and Customer into website rhbegin Linux - Software 3 02-24-2012 06:48 PM
Customer login OTRS: Make postmaster default linuxlover.chaitanya Linux - Software 14 02-16-2012 06:16 AM
Shell Script to prompt customer LinuxScript Linux - Newbie 7 02-03-2011 12:34 AM
How do I make a simple script and make it run on bootup?? coolblue Programming 5 12-18-2006 09:55 PM
can i make a script or program make a phone call? nephish Linux - Software 2 08-15-2005 09:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration