Originally Posted by koyi
So now, is there anyone (or everyone?) in the similar situation? Coding on the road? How do you keep yourself productive even if you can really sit down and focus?
I'm guessing you meant "rarely sit down" rather than "really sit down."(Grin)
I used to travel a lot. Fortunately, once the work day was over, my time was usually my time, but not all the time. Here are some suggestions.
1. Create a routine that works in most of the hotels you are in.
2. If you have to work and have access to room service, use room service. It saves the time of looking for and going to a restaurant.
3. Don't drink until work is over. Drinking is fun, but doesn't make for a clear head.
4. Take breaks. The longer the work day, the more important a five or ten minute break every hour or two becomes. It seems paradoxical, but, by resting your mind, your mind will refocus more effectively.
5. If you can, take a nap. I'm not a napper--if I nap, it means I'm either exhausted and out for hours or I'm sick, but many persons can benefit for a 10 or 15 minute nap.
If you are not a napper, try this technique
--I used to do it on the train home from work and it does work. (The Step 4 at the link is lame. The idea is to try to focus on something to keep your mind empty.)
I know this isn't the usual LQ sort of topic and I hope this helps.