LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Hey Hey it's the monkee! - Introduction / What do y'all think of RealBasic? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/hey-hey-its-the-monkee-introduction-what-do-yall-think-of-realbasic-355503/)

MonkeeOfEvil 08-21-2005 11:47 AM

Hey Hey it's the monkee! - Introduction / What do y'all think of RealBasic?
 
First off; hello and allow me to introduce myself. My name is Steve and I'm in the process of migrating my laptop to linux ( SuSe 9.3; kernel 2.6.11.4-20a ). I've been trying to find a friendly place to learn from other linux users and possibly meet some fellow nerds in the Houston area :)

I'm mainly a web programer; although I've dabled in some other ( windows ) based languages. I love PHP, but I want to expand into linux desktop application development ( once I get enough experience with the OS ). Which leads me to the topic of this post...

I was at barnes and noble last night browsing through their magazine area and picked up the current issue of LinuxFormat ( the one with the Fedora double sides DVD ) and they had an article about a cross-platform, visual basic-esque type of language called "Real Basic" that's available. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and if it would be a waste of my time to try to learn it? I think it might catch on if the people who develop it actualy put forth some effort to make it able to "compete" with VB6/.NET ( although that's a moot point on linux and Mac Os's ). Opinions?

Also, speaking of the new linux format...

Somewhere in the middle of the magazine there was a review of a piece of software that acted like the Mac OS X dockbar for KDE. I wanted to try it out but I can't seem to remember the name of the application; if anyone here has this particular issue and wouldn't mind telling me the name of the app I would apreciate it. It looked pretty sweet.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what y'all think.

- Steve ./ Monkee

celticgeek 08-21-2005 03:09 PM

XBasic
 
I have downloaded it and am trying it out. It seems pretty reasonable from my standpoint (a couple of hours of playing with it) and I joined the Yahoo Group, so I am getting some email. I haven't really put together an application yet, but I am working on it.

I think that it is worth taking a look at.

twilli227 08-21-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

I think it might catch on if the people who develop it actualy put forth some effort to make it able to "compete" with VB6/.NET ( although that's a moot point on linux and Mac Os's ). Opinions?
You might want to have a look at this:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/monoproject/

MonkeeOfEvil 08-21-2005 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by twilli227
You might want to have a look at this:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/monoproject/

well that's pretty interesting...i'll have to take a look at it a bit later.

AlexV 08-21-2005 11:11 PM

Re: Hey Hey it's the monkee! - Introduction / What do y'all think of RealBasic?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by MonkeeOfEvil
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and if it would be a waste of my time to try to learn it? I think it might catch on if the people who develop it actualy put forth some effort to make it able to "compete" with VB6/.NET ( although that's a moot point on linux and Mac Os's ). Opinions?

I wouldn't waste money on Real Basic if you just want to tinker. Try something like Gambas first and see how you like it. On Suse 9.3 it's available for installation through YAST. I haven't used either much, but, unless you plan to use it for large projects, Gambas should do everything you need for free.

Quote:

Somewhere in the middle of the magazine there was a review of a piece of software that acted like the Mac OS X dockbar for KDE. I wanted to try it out but I can't seem to remember the name of the application; if anyone here has this particular issue and wouldn't mind telling me the name of the app I would apreciate it. It looked pretty sweet.

I'm guessing it was probably Karamba, perhaps with the
osXBar theme.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the wonderful world of Linux :)

harken 08-22-2005 03:52 AM

If you're interested also in C# under Linux, check http://www.dotgnu.org/

Brendan_Mcc 08-19-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeeOfEvil (Post 1811904)
Somewhere in the middle of the magazine there was a review of a piece of software that acted like the Mac OS X dockbar for KDE. I wanted to try it out but I can't seem to remember the name of the application; if anyone here has this particular issue and wouldn't mind telling me the name of the app I would apreciate it. It looked pretty sweet.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what y'all think.

- Steve ./ Monkee

Hey Steve,

I could be wrong but I think its called something like the 'WBar'... Have a google for that term perhaps tacking 'Linux' on the end of the search string.

All the Best!
Brendan.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.