LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Ha ha, GIMP's name is wrong and insulting? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/ha-ha-gimps-name-is-wrong-and-insulting-4175659959/)

ondoho 08-30-2019 05:56 AM

Just for the record:
It's OK for me to rename GIMP to Glimpse.
I even understand the reasoning. I agree.

But I get sceptical when they say "...and fix long-standing bugs". Why not contribute to the original project instead (rhetorical Q, don't answer)?
And a little more sceptical at "experiment with other design directions".
And I get even more sceptical when there's a link to that person that likes to troll people on twitter and github, as proven about a year ago in some other thread here on LQ... ugh, let's not go there anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031239)

I wasn't looking for something like this. Really.
But it seems the pessimists in this thread were right...

Please help narrow-minded me understand one thing: If someone says they're a "transgender gal", that means they started out as a boy, right?

Also, why is it people have to constantly float some personal attributes like they were scout badges?
And why is it that you never see "I am a straight white male with no disabilities to speak of"???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 6031247)
This is a classic trait of the radical left, well discussed in Kaczynski's paper "Industrial Society and its Future". He argues that such people pick a social issue, normally an easy one to get support for, and then champion that issue even though they do not belong to any oppressed group, often coming from a comfortable middle class background when the 'oppressed' group cares little anyway. Such issues are adopted purely to build up the profile of the [often aggressive] protester who takes such collectivist action out of little more than personal insecurity, inferiority and the resultant frustrated need for power: "if our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to invent problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss".

Well written, but I don't think this is limited to "the radical left" at all. "Populism" rather comes to mind.

system001 08-30-2019 06:19 AM

the [removed] moron that wrote that article has no business writing if IT can understand GIMP being all caps does not represent a single word, so invalidates IT's point. on another note morons that think political correctness comes from the left stop lying. you full well know it's from the center to the right. people like Lysander666 are the psychos if they believe what they posted even for a second.

Lysander666 08-30-2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
I wasn't looking for something like this. Really.
But it seems the pessimists in this thread were right...

Well, because us pessimists, in this instance anyway, weren't being pessimists but realists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
Please help narrow-minded me understand one thing: If someone says they're a "transgender gal", that means they started out as a boy, right?

You are not being narrow-minded, you are rightly questioning something which your brain knows is not biologically natural [i.e. cutting off parts of one's body to change sex]. Someone is a transgender girl when they were born male but come to identify as female. This is not the same as being transsexual - transsexual is when they have had an operation to change their genitalia or other parts of their body to that of the sex with which they identify.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
Also, why is it people have to constantly float some personal attributes like they were scout badges?

Because they are using the software as a platform to promote their real agenda, which, in this case, is gay/trans activism. As has already been shown in this thread, forking GIMP is unnecessary and, to a large extent, pointless and this 'issue' has come about at the same time when LGBT issues are at the forefront of the media. That's no coincidence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
And why is it that you never see "I am a straight white male with no disabilities to speak of"???

Because it's entirely irrelevant to coding. Just as stating one is gay/trans/furry/whatever is entirely irrelevant to coding/promoting a software fork unless the real reason behind creating and/or promoting that fork is activism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
Well written, but I don't think this is limited to "the radical left" at all. "Populism" rather comes to mind.

The key word is 'limited'. But I don't know enough about populism to comment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by system001 (Post 6031301)
on another note morons that think political correctness comes from the left stop lying. you full well know it's from the center to the right. people like Lysander666 are the psychos if they believe what they posted even for a second.

You are not the first or last person, by a large extent, to call me a 'psycho'.

But it's important that a distinction is made here. When talking about 'leftist' I am purely using Kaczynski's terminology in which he uses it as a catch-all for the radical left. This is not the same as the left of the 19th/early-mid 20th centuries. It relates to the aggressive activist leftist movements of the late-20th century and in this case, beyond. Kaczynski does note that defining the word 'leftist' in this context is not without holes and weaknesses, and that demarkating the borders of definition is no straightforward task. If you want to know more, read the previously-cited paper, paragraphs 227-232, though I recommend reading the whole thing.

cynwulf 08-30-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 6031247)
This is a classic trait of the radical left, well discussed in Kaczynski's paper "Industrial Society and its Future". He argues that such people pick a social issue, normally an easy one to get support for, and then champion that issue even though they do not belong to any oppressed group, often coming from a comfortable middle class background when the 'oppressed' group cares little anyway. Such issues are adopted purely to build up the profile of the [often aggressive] protester who takes such collectivist action out of little more than personal insecurity, inferiority and the resultant frustrated need for power: "if our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to invent problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss".

I find the Unabomber's assessment of "radical left" and "leftists" to be a bit off... it comes squarely from the popular US perspective of the left as spoken by the "right" - who are the establishment - i.e. the kind of nonsense commonly spouted by individuals like Trump - where "left" is seen a a slur which can be directed at the Democrats or any other target (who are anything but left), at any/every opportunity, for political point scoring.

The Unabomber was a big influence for Anders Behring Breivik and it's easy to see why...

jsbjsb001 08-30-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031316)
I find the Unabomber's assessment of "radical left" and "leftists" to be a bit off... it comes squarely from the popular US perspective of the left as spoken by the "right" - who are the establishment - i.e. the kind of nonsense commonly spouted by individuals like Trump - where "left" is seen a a slur which can be directed at the Democrats or any other target (who are anything but left), at any/every opportunity, for political point scoring.

The Unabomber was a big influence for Anders Behring Breivik and it's easy to see why...

^ The truth, thank you cynwulf, could not have said it better, right on! Or to use British phrasing: bang on! ;)

Also, people like Trump seem to confuse "left" with "Socialism". As in: proper health care and such for the poor, Socialist state tomorrow!

But it can all fixed with Capitalism, can't it? :rolleyes:

Lysander666 08-30-2019 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031316)
I find the Unabomber's assessment of "radical left" and "leftists" to be a bit off... it comes squarely from the popular US perspective of the left as spoken by the "right" - who are the establishment - i.e. the kind of nonsense commonly spouted by individuals like Trump - where "left" is seen a a slur which can be directed at the Democrats or any other target (who are anything but left), at any/every opportunity, for political point scoring.

See the end of my post above, about the difficulties of such definitions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031316)
The Unabomber was a big influence for Anders Behring Breivik and it's easy to see why...

Of course some of his actions were reprehensible, there's no doubt whatsoever about that. But a lot of what he says in his paper about technology and its negative influences on modern society are correct, I feel. Many critics from across the political spectrum have cited that work as an excellent piece whilst also condemning his actions. Anyway, we are getting a little off topic here [which I acknowledge is, to an extent, my fault].

fido_dogstoyevsky 08-30-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
...But I get sceptical when they say "...and fix long-standing bugs". Why not contribute to the original project instead (rhetorical Q, don't answer)?...

Actually there is a long standing problem with the GIMP, current developers stating that there's only one acceptable format for saving image files and anybody with a different requirement can go find another image editor. There are work arounds, but they're more or less unsatisfactory. It's something that certainly acts like a bug.

There are some missing features, but I'm confident they'll be added as time goes by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
...
And a little more sceptical at "experiment with other design directions"...

May be good, may be bad. Hopefully they'll be open minded enough to quickly reverse any bad design choices. But if I have to wait until version 3 to get the changes that I need, I expect to be permanently on Krita by then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
...And I get even more sceptical when there's a link to that person that likes to troll people on twitter and github, as proven about a year ago in some other thread here on LQ... ugh, let's not go there anymore...

I don't twitter and rarely go to github - missed all that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
...Also, why is it people have to constantly float some personal attributes like they were scout badges?
And why is it that you never see "I am a straight white male with no disabilities to speak of"???...

Maybe in today's society a desire for privacy is counterproductive in the search for political influence, except for "a straight white male with no disabilities to speak of". I'm not blameless myself - I once played the "are you making fun of my ethnic background?" card to shut a loudmouth up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
...I don't think this is limited to "the radical left" at all. "Populism" rather comes to mind.

I'm afraid so. It explains what's happening on both wings of politics.

ondoho 08-30-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6031292)
Also, why is it people have to constantly float some personal attributes like they were scout badges?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 6031315)
Because they are using the software as a platform to promote their real agenda, which, in this case, is gay/trans activism.
...
it's entirely irrelevant to coding.

Yes, but they're also doing it on e.g. twitter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031316)
I find the Unabomber

Oh. Thanks for pointing that out.

cynwulf 08-30-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 6031326)
But a lot of what he says in his paper about technology and its negative influences on modern society are correct, I feel.

Any truths in the paper are overshadowed by the usual "lets lump all the gays, trans, feminists, activists, (animal rights included) into one big category and dismiss them as "leftists" " approach...

He makes the conclusion that the comfortable "middle classes", are out protesting on other's behalf on issues which don't directly affect them - this may be true, but that doesn't in itself make their protest illegitimate.

It's just another common "tactic" of the right wing controlled media - i.e. "you have no right to protest, as you're well off and comfortable". It's an old tactic, it works well, especially if the issues are some of those which don't matter one jot to the average working class person with a family to feed - so wrap those all up as "leftists"... and there you have it: "Socialism" is to blame...

What should they do? Donate a few million to a "good cause", to get a nice tax break and not rock the boat?

Lysander666 08-30-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031335)
Any truths in the paper are overshadowed by the usual "lets lump all the gays, trans, feminists, activists, (animal rights included) into one big category and dismiss them as "leftists" " approach...

That's not quite the case, he's talking about activists who don't have a horse in the race other than to promote their own welfare. Clearly one's sexual preferences are not directly related to their political leanings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031335)
He makes the conclusion that the comfortable "middle classes", are out protesting on other's behalf on issues which don't directly affect them - this may be true, but that doesn't in itself make their protest illegitimate.

It certainly makes them questionable, but not entirely illegitimate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031335)
It's just another common "tactic" of the right wing controlled media - i.e. "you have no right to protest, as you're well off and comfortable". It's an old tactic, it works well, especially if the issues are some of those which don't matter one jot to the average working class person with a family to feed - so wrap those all up as "leftists"... and there you have it: "Socialism" is to blame...

I find it hard to pin him down politically, as unusual as that sounds. In the paper he dismisses the conservatives as "fools" whist also having a go at his definition of the radical left and also being a staunch environmentalist [edit: Wikipedia calls him a green anarchist, whatever that might be, I'll have to read up on it].

Anyway, we are getting way off track here. If anyone wants to 'fork' this thread and start a discussion on the merits/demerits of the man's words and actions, they are free to do so.

jsbjsb001 08-30-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 6031335)
...
What should they do? Donate a few million to a "good cause", to get a nice tax break and not rock the boat?

Even better if those who are rich aren't paying bugger all tax to begin with. It's the middle class that can't afford top accountants to find the loopholes to avoid as much tax as possible. Even Warren Buffett said his secretary pays more tax than him, how's that work??! Combined with the point you make above, what a joke! And Trump and his hard core supporter base give a rats ass about the poor? The whole thing is an absolute joke. And it's the establishment that drove Trump's supporters away to make them want to support someone like him to begin with - you just can't trust any of them in my book. Keyword: "agenda" ...

jamison20000e 08-30-2019 07:32 AM

[removed]

jeremy 08-30-2019 09:57 AM

Closing this thread for what I hope are obvious reasons.

--jeremy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.