LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,836
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
Google for Education framework / Tablets and Laptops for education


Hi there,

Has anyone got any experience using Google for Education at school, college, uni etc. (As a student or teacher)? Is it any good? HOw does it facilitate learning/sharing info? I'm not quite clear reading the official info what it actually cosists in? Are Apps for Education part of it or is it a separate thing? Can apps for education be installed on any android tablet with a recent version of the system?

On a separate note there are some tablets recommended on the Google for Education website, we're probably going to go for one of them. I also need to buy some laptops for our college (for learners) - which ones would you recommend? I don't think the budget is that tight but obviously I wouldn't go for the most expensive ones.
I have no experience of Chromebooks - are they any good (for learners) - I guess I'd rather have more traditional laptops where they can use MS Office as well, etc. Yes, my organisation is rather MS oriented. My role is not really IT-related. I'm a teacher. We have been using a third-party company for servicing our computers (company with no *-nix expertise unfortunately). I'm just involved in promoting/spreading use of technology in our college among other teachers/learners.

Anyone has any other tips on some good solutions?

Thank you in advance.
 
Old 09-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,439

Rep: Reputation: 275Reputation: 275Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
Hi there,

Has anyone got any experience using Google for Education at school, college, uni etc. (As a student or teacher)? Is it any good? HOw does it facilitate learning/sharing info? I'm not quite clear reading the official info what it actually cosists in? Are Apps for Education part of it or is it a separate thing? Can apps for education be installed on any android tablet with a recent version of the system?

On a separate note there are some tablets recommended on the Google for Education website, we're probably going to go for one of them. I also need to buy some laptops for our college (for learners) - which ones would you recommend? I don't think the budget is that tight but obviously I wouldn't go for the most expensive ones.
I have no experience of Chromebooks - are they any good (for learners) - I guess I'd rather have more traditional laptops where they can use MS Office as well, etc. Yes, my organisation is rather MS oriented. My role is not really IT-related. I'm a teacher. We have been using a third-party company for servicing our computers (company with no *-nix expertise unfortunately). I'm just involved in promoting/spreading use of technology in our college among other teachers/learners.

Anyone has any other tips on some good solutions?

Thank you in advance.
Ignoring the the whole privacy/google debate, Chromebooks are brilliant.
*They're cheap and fast (150 Euro for an acer c720).
*Insanely easy to use (no setup needed at all).
*Everything is doable using web apps, MS Office is available as well
*Android apps are currently being integrated (no need for expensive tablets in education).
*You only really need an ssh-client (or VPN and friends) for "collective education" and development, chromebooks are perfect for this.

Last edited by jens; 09-13-2014 at 08:26 AM.
 
Old 09-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 19,619

Rep: Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527
Quote:
Ignoring the the whole privacy/google debate,
Erk - how is this acceptabe ?. Especially for open source supporters ?.

Seems schools have no qualms about tracking everything students do or use - to the extent of secretly turning on camera/microphone, even in non-school hours. And google - who trusts them ???.
phewww ...
 
Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,439

Rep: Reputation: 275Reputation: 275Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
Erk - how is this acceptabe ?. Especially for open source supporters ?.

Seems schools have no qualms about tracking everything students do or use - to the extent of secretly turning on camera/microphone, even in non-school hours. And google - who trusts them ???.
phewww ...
Well ... I'm currently working on a debian/chromeos version that's using owncloud for all back-end and syncing (I'll post some links when/if ready)
PS: Tablets are even more restricted and there's really no point in using google-services without using anything google.

Last edited by jens; 09-13-2014 at 09:50 AM.
 
Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 19,619

Rep: Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527Reputation: 3527
Good luck with that.
As for tablets, I managed to get Cyanogenmod and gapps working fine on a (very) old Asus TF101 transformer (JB, not KK). Privacy guard allows me to choose who gets access to what - was googles "Apps ops" they apparently accidently released then quickly withdrew.
 
Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,836

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
Thanks guys.
In this particular case I'm not really worried about privacy. The laptops/tablets will not be integrated with our company intranet. Just the college's generic wifi connection. It'll have just for learners work. Learners will rent the tablets/laptops to be used at home/during the lesson, etc.

...so noone has get any experience with google for education...?
 
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,439

Rep: Reputation: 275Reputation: 275Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post

...so noone has get any experience with google for education...?
Partly...
I do the IT stuff for some local schools (voluntary).

They didn't like the more expensive non-keyboard options (tablets/android).
Not everything (mostly some admin tools) is available for chrome (this will change rather soon, ChromOS's android runtime is already available in the "testing" branch).
Most of its applications are the ones you're already familiar with (docs and friend).
Further more, you'll find many extras outside google (especially for software-development).
 
Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
maples
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: IN, USA
Distribution: Arch, Debian Jessie
Posts: 814

Rep: Reputation: 265Reputation: 265Reputation: 265
I'm a student at a school that uses Google Apps for Education. This year, every student bought a Chromebook (Acer c720p) through the school. So far, I like it. We use Google Docs for a lot of our notes, and so far we haven't had any major problems. I helped our system admin over the summer, so I have a general idea of what went on...

Once the Chromebook is enrolled in the school's domain, you can restrict a lot of what students do. And once the Chromebook gets enrolled, the only way to de-enroll it is to use the "Powerwash" or go into Developer Mode. So the school policy makes that a major violation, and let the principals deal with that. In our school, the admin only allows *@schoolname.org e-mail accounts to log in to the Chromebooks. Our school currently blocks all apps/extensions except those on the admin's whitelist. I don't know if you can ban certian websites (we do it through the school's firewall) but you can prevent them from erasing their history and using incognito mode. And since everything is linked to their email account, if a student breaks their Chromebook, they can borrow one of our "loaner" Chromebooks until it's fixed and they still have access to all of their docs.

If you have any questions about how it looks from a student's perspective, I would be happy to answer them. I also know a little about the admin side, but I only saw a small part of it while I worked there over the summer.
 
Old 09-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,836

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
Thank you both. I'm playing with it right now. I'm sure I'll have some questions very soon.
 
Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
maples
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: IN, USA
Distribution: Arch, Debian Jessie
Posts: 814

Rep: Reputation: 265Reputation: 265Reputation: 265
Good luck!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Google, Yahoo!, Bing collaborate for personalized education LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-27-2013 02:40 PM
LXer: Pearson Education - You will NOT use Linux for Online Education LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 08-26-2010 05:11 PM
education thetankatlas Programming 1 07-11-2008 10:08 PM
Education vande012 Linux - General 11 07-28-2007 12:40 PM
Linux education jd300 Linux - General 6 12-15-2001 04:23 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration