LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 64
Question Global Peace/Cooperation Thru Linux Model.


In Linux, the entire globe helps one another in an extremely friendly/positive way. Will this positive model be expanded for Entire Global peace and long term benefit of mankind ? Any related sites/info. also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Vijay


Note to Moderators: I wanted to post a poll on this question with the following options:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Don't know
4. Other (Please share in response to this post.)

But missed it. Please assist by settingup this poll. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rvijay; 08-21-2005 at 08:39 AM.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Megamieuwsel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2002
Location: Haarlem , the Netherlands
Distribution: VectorLinux SOHO 5.1
Posts: 470

Rep: Reputation: 35
IF today's geeks are tomorrow's politicians , there'd be a change for that.
And IF pigs start flying.....

Like it or not ; politics are the realm of the ruthless and the corrupt.(and quite often the unholy mix of these two...)
NO exeption.
(unfortunately...)
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,178
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Ah, another hypothetical essay-type question...

Just by any chance, are you an English teacher? This sounds very much like an essay-type question in an English paper of a board exam.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Megamieuwsel
IF today's geeks are tomorrow's politicians , there'd be a change for that.
And IF pigs start flying.....

Like it or not ; politics are the realm of the ruthless and the corrupt.(and quite often the unholy mix of these two...)
NO exeption.
(unfortunately...)
This seems to be changing slowly atleast in some parts of the World. For eg., look at Dr. Abdul Kalam, the President of India.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Harishankar
Ah, another hypothetical essay-type question...

Just by any chance, are you an English teacher? This sounds very much like an essay-type question in an English paper of a board exam.
Not at all. However, I do like reading. These kinds of exercises/thinking I believe are needed to use Linux and its concept fully for the benefit of humaity. If you try to reach for the Stars atleast you might reach the moon. Yesterdays dreams are todays reality. Look at all the great plans/programs Dr. Abdul Kalam is starting for India ! Quite remarkable ! He is like Mike Griffin, Chief of NASA. If he had more resources support earlier on, I believe he would have launched India well into the Space Age !!

Japan wants robot moon base by 2025

Posted Jun 20, 2005, 11:38 AM ET by Peter Rojas
Related entries: Robots

Moon

If thereís any country we can trust with building a robot moon base itís Japan, right? Itís not entirely clear that theyíll have the means or the money to actually follow through, but Keiji Tachikawa, the head of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, has announced plans to build a lunar base populated with humanoid bots by 2025. Humans optional.


http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000443047401/


As and when man progresses so rapidly and also faces significant challenges from environment it is important to explore and have pathways to peace/co-operation also.

Vijay
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 64
By the way, note that all the robots, the moon base etc., will be on Linux for the major part (Refer other of my posts in the Linux News forum here.)

Vijay
 
Old 08-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
alred
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: singapore
Distribution: puppy and Ubuntu and ... erh ... redhat(sort of) :( ... + the venerable bsd and solaris ^_^
Posts: 658
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 31
i dont think we will see or realised any changes at the end of the eutopian road , if looked in a certain way , its actually anti-eutopian to wish for that kind of changes , it is during the journey towards the eutopia that we see and actualised changes and improvments , a continuity from the previous older , anachronistic and reactionary(in my words) era instead of a sudden discontinuity or snap of history preaching the merits of the "new" , the "modern" and the "intelligent" which are nothing but just a forever never changing era brought over from the previous or simply by living the presently "older" one , a kind of The End Of History which some would like to stamp it firmly in history once and for all for their own self-interest(whatever it means) for the rest of the world which they somehow fanthom the amazing idea that they owned it and dictact it all by themselves with their "morals" of all kind ...

there is no such thing as a full stop in history , same goes to asia , the place where i come from , theres no such thing as a full stop in asia and that changes can be pretty fast which somehow i feel uneasy towards it , hopes that we dont lost more in-order to improve(whatever it means) by that little ...


just my opinion ...

Last edited by alred; 08-21-2005 at 01:20 PM.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally posted by alred
i dont think we will see or realised any changes at the end of the eutopian road , if looked in a certain way , its actually anti-eutopian to wish for that kind of changes , it is during the journey towards the eutopia that we see and actualised changes and improvments , a continuity from the previous older , anachronistic and reactionary(in my words) era instead of a sudden discontinuity or snap of history preaching the merits of the "new" , the "modern" and the "intelligent" which are nothing but just a forever never changing era brought over from the previous or simply by living the presently "older" one , a kind of The End Of History which some would like to stamp it firmly in history once and for all for their own self-interest(whatever it means) for the rest of the world which they somehow fanthom the amazing idea that they owned it and dictact it all by themselves with their "morals" of all kind ...

there is no such thing as a full stop in history , same goes to asia , the place where i come from , theres no such thing as a full stop in asia and that changes can be pretty fast which somehow i feel uneasy towards it , hopes that we dont lost more in-order to improve(whatever it means) by that little ...


just my opinion ...
We can achieve this as we can communicate and understand each other better today. Technology towards peace instead of towards conflict.

Vijay
 
Old 08-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
BajaNick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Distribution: Slack 11
Posts: 1,737

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by rvijay

Japan wants robot moon base by 2025

Posted Jun 20, 2005, 11:38 AM ET by Peter Rojas
Related entries: Robots
Moon
If thereís any country we can trust with building a robot moon base itís Japan, right? Itís not entirely clear that theyíll have the means or the money to actually follow through, but Keiji Tachikawa, the head of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, has announced plans to build a lunar base populated with humanoid bots by 2025. Humans optional.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000443047401/


As and when man progresses so rapidly and also faces significant challenges from environment it is important to explore and have pathways to peace/co-operation also.
Vijay
I remember hearing about China planning a moon base also. If the US, Japan, and China teamed up (like that would ever happen) we could easily have a moon base in 20 years.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNick
I remember hearing about China planning a moon base also. If the US, Japan, and China teamed up (like that would ever happen) we could easily have a moon base in 20 years.
Yes, this is another point, cooperation/peace means more wealth, benefits, progress to all. Imagine this: We dismantle ALL the DEFENSE in the World based on Conflict and keep only those needed for relief from natural disasters etc., The money so obtained is put:
a) 10% into Linux
b) 40% into alternative energy research/development
c) 40% to help the poor globally
d) the other 10% for Misc positive efforts.

Imagine how peaceful and positive life on Earth would be ?

But maybe as humankind we are afraid to think this way.

Vijay
 
Old 08-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
stabile007
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by rvijay
Yes, this is another point, cooperation/peace means more wealth, benefits, progress to all. Imagine this: We dismantle ALL the DEFENSE in the World based on Conflict and keep only those needed for relief from natural disasters etc., The money so obtained is put:
a) 10% into Linux
b) 40% into alternative energy research/development
c) 40% to help the poor globally
d) the other 10% for Misc positive efforts.

Imagine how peaceful and positive life on Earth would be ?

But maybe as humankind we are afraid to think this way.

Vijay
Because in life there is nothing more important then a computer operating system.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
rvijay
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1
Posts: 921

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 24

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally posted by stabile007
Because in life there is nothing more important then a computer operating system.
For a man with View this is more than a OS, there is big Philosophy behind that can be extended to other things.

Vijay
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #13
stabile007
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by rvijay
For a man with View this is more than a OS, there is big Philosophy behind that can be extended to other things.

Vijay
Linux is an operating system designed around an open license. And you want to take 10% of the global budget that you've created in your scenario and apply it towards computer software? A specific piece of software? 40% towards alternate means of energy? 40% to poor people? and 10% to misc?

I would hope that this world never exists.

We have infinitly more important things to worry about.

10% would be served better for an all inclusive drug discovery program. Heck I would slash alternate energy and make a 20% budget for the reasearch and devolpment for cures for all cancers and diseases and medical research

So it would be liek this

40% Food to feed the world since I am assuming your world has not capitalistic mindset
20% Health
10% Exploration for space and for the keeping an eye out of rhuge asteroids heading towards earth (I like living)
15% Social Benefit
5% Alternate R&D for Energy
5% technological Research (Some of course would be from health R&D and Space budgets so this can allow for a smaller budget in general here)
2% Enviromental care
1% Computer Stuff
1% Entertainment

granted I am missing a lot fo thigns that are required to make our world go round but I am sure you see what I am trying to get at. Global Budgets are huge you are talking in trillions of dollars (probably bigger) 10% of a trillion is several hundred billion. money that could be served better elsewehre.

Eitherway your idea is wholly idealistic and while I don't mind the thought of GLobal peace an helping the poor I doubt it will ever happen. Cultures tend to clash with eachother way to easily and then you got religions and greedy people. And since I doubt the entire globe one day will decide to dump all their moeny aand cultures out an airlock and start as a big happy family the onyl way to see such a thing is after a huge global disaster or war where the world needs to rebuild from scratch.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
BajaNick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Distribution: Slack 11
Posts: 1,737

Rep: Reputation: 46
I would have to argue even 1% of the whole worlds budget would be an enormous amount of money to put into just computer stuff, probably way more money than they would need, Like the california school system.
 
Old 08-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #15
stabile007
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNick
I would have to argue even 1% of the whole worlds budget would be an enormous amount of money to put into just computer stuff, probably way more money than they would need, Like the california school system.
Yeah I was just trying to show that there are so many other areas where money is needed. But for computer stuff I would include that under getting the entire world wired.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peace in the valley of Linux! fredmack LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 2 10-28-2005 07:11 AM
Peace With Linux. rvijay General 2 10-15-2004 07:26 PM
Whats Up...please read this if you know anything about wireless pci on linux...Peace TheLinuxHippy Linux - Hardware 4 09-03-2003 08:50 PM
Peace, Love, and Linux? jenna_h Linux - General 9 04-24-2003 12:34 PM
Bombs,Nepal Peace and Linux rch General 16 04-08-2003 12:15 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration