LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Courteous request for an external PhD paper consultant [philosophy of computer science/network theory]. (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/courteous-request-for-an-external-phd-paper-consultant-%5Bphilosophy-of-computer-science-network-theory%5D-4175655960/)

Lysander666 06-18-2019 07:59 AM

Courteous request for an external PhD paper consultant [philosophy of computer science/network theory].
 
I am posting this in the Slackware subforum since I know there are quite a few academics here, and it would good if someone were involved who used the same distro as me [though this is not necessary by any stretch, it's just a personal preference]. Mods: if this isn't the right place for this request, please move it as you see fit.

After a meeting with my secondary supervisor today, it's been advised that an academic [i.e. PhD level or above, I suppose] with knowledge of computer science be involved in, or at least take a look at, my PhD upgrade paper and final thesis. The topic addresses metal music in the Middle East, however, part of it involves computing and network theory. I should emphasize that this computing element is not scientific, moreover, it involves the philosophy of computer science [e.g. the work of people like Luciano Floridi, Manuel Castells, why people use computers/networks, ethics/methodologies that analyse computational systems etc]. The reason why my secondary mentioned this is that none of my PhD panel - all being members of the music faculty - know much about this area, and the computing element kind of crept into the research over time and wasn't part of my initial proposal. The reason why I am not appending this to the previous topic about Slackware in academia is because the two are quite separate as far as I am concerned, and I do not want it to look like I set this request up - it was no way intentional.

What would be involved is taking a broad look through the PhD upgrade document [12,000 words] and giving some general opinions on the computer related part[s] and then also, ideally, looking at the final thesis draft in 3-4 years' time. You do not have to know anything about metal music or Middle Eastern folk/classical music.

What can I offer in return - of course I will mention you in any upcoming publications [so you would have to be OK with being personally identifiable] as well as the final thesis which I am intending to publish in book format, and also being part of a [hopefully] interesting and exciting project that spans multiple academic disciplines and countries.

This is rather hands-off since it only involves taking a look at two documents over a number of years [though if you want to be part of it more, that's great]. It involves just a little reading and opinions from someone who thinks it will be interesting for them, likes the idea and who has the time.

Lockywolf 06-18-2019 08:28 AM

I am curious.

I do know what you are speaking of. I.e. I even contributed to chapter in a textbook on philosophy of Informatics at some point of my life. (Russian only, but you can download for free.)

I will read your paper, and I can write a review, but I don't promise it will be a good review (well, it depends on the quality of the paper).

I am a PhD in computer science.

theodore.s 06-18-2019 10:04 AM

I'm currently working on my political science master's thesis, about social movements and global network society (the Castells' concept). I could have a look if you think that I could help.

garpu 06-18-2019 10:14 AM

Hi! I'm not a Ph.D in comp/sci, but I am in music composition. :D I did a crapload of ethnomusicology seminars, instead of the usual music theory, however. Middle eastern metal music sounds right up my alley, although my thing was Balinese music and computer music. I don't know how much help I'd be on the comp/sci parts of it, being entirely self-taught in Linux and programming (csound, LISP). But I'd be happy to take a look. I'm not currently working in academe, though, but I can give your advisor my CV, need be.

Lysander666 06-19-2019 04:05 AM

Thank you so much to the three of you, I'm very humbled and thankful for your responses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockywolf (Post 6006748)
I am curious.

I do know what you are speaking of. I.e. I even contributed to chapter in a textbook on philosophy of Informatics at some point of my life. (Russian only, but you can download for free.)

I will read your paper, and I can write a review, but I don't promise it will be a good review (well, it depends on the quality of the paper).

I am a PhD in computer science.

Responded to your message - will send you something very shortly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theodore.s (Post 6006777)
I'm currently working on my political science master's thesis, about social movements and global network society (the Castells' concept). I could have a look if you think that I could help.

Ah that is very useful and interesting. It's not quite finished but will let you know when it is. Great that you're looking at Castells too. I might send it via email or a Google Docs link, not sure yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garpu (Post 6006781)
Balinese music and computer music

My master's was in ethnomusicology so there is a definite similarly there! When you say 'computer music', can you elaborate slightly? That's a very intriguing term and it's a term which I've utilised myself but maybe in a different context. Would love for you to have a look when the first draft is finished. Where did you obtain your PhD? You can put it in a PM if you don't want to say so here.

syg00 06-19-2019 04:30 AM

This is fantastic - good luck to all of you.

garpu 06-19-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander666 (Post 6007053)
My master's was in ethnomusicology so there is a definite similarly there! When you say 'computer music', can you elaborate slightly? That's a very intriguing term and it's a term which I've utilised myself but maybe in a different context. Would love for you to have a look when the first draft is finished. Where did you obtain your PhD? You can put it in a PM if you don't want to say so here.

Cool! Computer music: using csound and LISP to write computer-generated music/sound synthesis. (I've also used common music and common LISP music. I'm currently learning puredata, because I really do need to learn something more capable for real-time synthesis.)

I got my Ph.D at the University of Washington in Seattle. (Go Huskies!)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.