LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Concealed Carry (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/concealed-carry-889439/)

mjolnir 07-01-2011 03:31 PM

Concealed Carry
 
http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/07/...m_jwr_390.html

Effective today, July 1, 2011, Wyoming will no longer require permits for concealed carry of firearms. Wyoming now joins Vermont, Arizona, and Alaska in recognizing the Constitutional right to unrestricted carry, both openly and concealed, without any permit. "Senate Bill 47 amends Wyoming Revised Statute 6-8-104 to allow anyone who has lived in the state of Wyoming for six months or more, and who meets the other requirements of the older concealed carry law (excluding the requirement that an individual demonstrate proficiency with a firearm) to carry a concealed weapon, without applying for or obtaining a permit."

acid_kewpie 07-01-2011 03:35 PM

Well that's totally screwed up. What is your country coming to? "From my cold dead hands" and all that nonsense. The majority of the rest of the 1st world does not agree...

mjolnir 07-01-2011 04:12 PM

I respect your right to both have and to voice your opinion but to be honest, as a believer in both "Covenant Theology" and "American Exceptionalism" I see this as a step in the right direction for MY country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acid_kewpie (Post 4401741)
The majority of the rest of the 1st world does not agree...


acid_kewpie 07-01-2011 04:13 PM

well you enjoy your ideas. The ones most of europe grew out of many many years ago.

mjolnir 07-01-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acid_kewpie (Post 4401791)
...The ones most of europe grew out of many many years ago.

To their detriment I'm afraid. Never to late for an old time revival. :-)

SigTerm 07-01-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjolnir (Post 4401737)
http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/07/...m_jwr_390.html

Effective today, July 1, 2011, Wyoming will no longer require permits for concealed carry of firearms. Wyoming now joins Vermont, Arizona, and Alaska in recognizing the Constitutional right to unrestricted carry, both openly and concealed, without any permit. "Senate Bill 47 amends Wyoming Revised Statute 6-8-104 to allow anyone who has lived in the state of Wyoming for six months or more, and who meets the other requirements of the older concealed carry law (excluding the requirement that an individual demonstrate proficiency with a firearm) to carry a concealed weapon, without applying for or obtaining a permit."

Well, at least you ARE allowed to carry firearms and use them for self-defense. Way better than when your only legal option is to become martial artist.

acid_kewpie 07-01-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjolnir (Post 4401806)
To their detriment I'm afraid. Never to late for an old time revival. :-)

I'd love to sign up, but with so many religions to choose from, I could never make up my mind. Maybe I could roll a die...

Ahh I utterly can't understand half of America, it's like a different world when your left wing is more like everyone elses right. How any intelligent country can refuse to acknowledge evolution is astounding.

mjolnir 07-01-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigTerm (Post 4401810)
Well, at least you ARE allowed to carry firearms and use them for self-defense. Way better than when your only legal option is to become martial artist.

++1

mjolnir 07-01-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acid_kewpie (Post 4401816)
I'd love to sign up, but with so many religions to choose from, I could never make up my mind. Maybe I could roll a die...

Ahh I utterly can't understand half of America, it's like a different world when your left wing is more like everyone elses right. How any intelligent country can refuse to acknowledge evolution is astounding.

GOD loves you and so do I.

moxieman99 07-01-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjolnir (Post 4401737)
http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/07/...m_jwr_390.html

Wyoming now joins Vermont, Arizona, and Alaska in recognizing the Constitutional right to unrestricted carry, both openly and concealed, without any permit.

Non sequiteur there, sport. While individuals have the right to bear arms, it still is within the context of a militia, which is governed by state law. There is no "right" to unrestricted carry. The state cannot pass an absolute ban.

Think of it this way: The First Amendment is pretty absolute too, but you're not going to get away with yelling "Fire!" in a theater.

jefro 07-01-2011 07:38 PM

Politicians and crooks prefer unarmed peasants.

mjolnir 07-01-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moxieman99 (Post 4401904)
...There is no "right" to unrestricted carry.[...]

I agree.

I do not agree that any "right" concerning firearms is wholly grounded in the "militia" language.

I do accept blame for lack of correct punctuation. I apparently dropped quotes (single?) on the body of the post which, had you bothered to follow the link, you would have seen was a straight copy and paste.

"Non sequiteur there, sport." http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/non-sequiteur

Common misspelling of non sequitur. We all make mistakes.

frankbell 07-01-2011 09:46 PM

Frankly, I find the fascination with guns to have less to do with rights than with Freud.

I know how to use a gun, I'm a damned good shot, and I don't want to see persons carrying guns on the street.

An armed society is not a polite society. It is a wounded society.

Dogs 07-01-2011 11:28 PM

Whatever... rules are for the owned. Being armed is only an issue if you belong to someone or something else.

An interesting complication for this philosophy is that some people will aggro dominant but respectable individuals just for the hell of it, especially if they know said individual is armed, and the harassment is justified by the rules of the owner. This is how CCW came to be.

By embracing the virtues of concealed carry, one may go where one pleases while maintaining that hopeless appearance the rest of the owned exhibit on the day to day.


[flameon]

Question -- What's up with people from the UK? Stockholm syndrome much? or is it jealousy?
"Waahhh, my owner won't let me defend myself or have an ounce of independence, thus anyone who has such things sucks, and I shall say so whenever I get the opportunity (because it makes me feel better about being owned.. after all... everyone belongs to somebody.... right?)"

Seriously, though.. If you can't handle the responsibility of keeping yourself and your family sustained and stable, then don't reproduce, don't speak of your beliefs, and don't associate with others. Doing these things propagates undesirable mental disorders which promote the collapse of civilizations.

[/flameon]

win32sux 07-01-2011 11:47 PM

I live in California, which is known for its strict gun laws (understatement).

Obtaining a concealed-carry permit here is, AFAIK, extremely difficult. Like, I've heard that the average person doesn't really stand a chance of getting one. I don't really know for sure, because I'm not at all interested in going around the streets with a gun stuffed under my shirt, so I haven't looked into it. I'm happy enough having an arsenal at home for when the zombie apocalypse takes place.

So, like, what exactly are the requirements for concealed carry in this case (Wyoming)? Are they basically the same as whatever requirements they have in place for being able to purchase guns? I swear I tried to RTFA but my ADHD-PI has gotten the best of me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.