LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 306

Rep: Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312
Can people really make difference in this world?


Hi. I keep getting misunderstood until explain then they understand and "advices"(undeserved insults in disguise) from 'older' people who do not care to insert reality factors of each specific lifestory of each before critique so i decided to make this topic. While i am not young myself anymore(soon be middle years) and i am raised to be normal and i am normal if not provoked or other circumstances that affect everyone and i yet i did fit description of millenials in market when i was in school cause this idea that average Joe can become some comic book character influence in world like was popular theme in TV shows(in this example Knight Rider but other shows share). However i also got counter insult that i not want to use cause it would not be kind but it is basically "while older generation can brag about how experienced they are yet they have already used that ticket so no longer valid, but the younger generation has yet to experience it and their ticket is still in process so they have not yet lost this freshness of fruits".
So since on this forum there are plenty of older generation people why not share some actual advice how life operates that is not told to newborns till they reach specific age? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Arcane; 08-17-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: more
 
Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17
Posts: 5,822
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900
I made a difference in this world when I took on 2 boys who had no father figure. So yeah. One person can make a difference.

They are quite lawful abiding adults now.

Edit: I don't think people are insulting you . You treat LQ sometimes as facebook. So if you get facebook answers. Tit for tat.

Last edited by rokytnji; 08-17-2019 at 12:50 PM.
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 306

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
{...}Edit: I don't think people are insulting you . You treat LQ sometimes as facebook. So if you get facebook answers. Tit for tat.
I was speaking about outside LQ world aswell. But fair enough. I guess because i am younger i rush stuff. But i can assure you i do not post to insult. I was raised to be human more or less so i am (%)human being who cares for justice. I am trying to help in my own way. Guess due to differences in lifestory and mentality i get misunderstood just like i misunderstand others. However other members also treat LQ sometimes as facebook(faith and religion thread for example contains trolling).

Last edited by Arcane; 08-17-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 2,381

Rep: Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399
Hello again, Arcane. I will try to find a balance between gentility and honest opinion in hopes of helping you deal with such stresses. You know. especially from The Faith and Religion thread, that you and I are mile apart in our approach to reality but I still think I can help with this because I too consider myself a gentlemanly person and kind first as a matter of policy. That said I also very much like what I was told was a Sicilian cliche but I suspect has similarities in most cultures .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian Folk Wisdom
Only a good friend will tell you when your face is dirty
I feel confidant you know what that means but since there is a minor language barrier please allow me to expand on that. A friend doesn't tell you your face is dirty to hurt you. He/She tells you so because he/she empathizes that you wouldn't want to unknowingly present yourself to the world like that.

For a moment look at your nickname here... "Arcane". The Oxford dictionary defines "arcane" as
Quote:
understood by few; mysterious or secret. - synonyms: mysterious, secret, hidden, concealed, covert, clandestine, enigmatic, dark
. You know I don't subscribe to this view at all but I know you do and I think your nickname is rightly chosen. It fits.

So if you agree that you have an affinity for such a view you really only have two choices - 1) Examine and alter your premises that cause you to have such an affinity (I think unlikely) or, 2) Own it - Take pride in it. Now it is also very possible to limit how much you reveal of this affinity, reserving some until people know you more and you know them better but that is really difficult with text-only Internet "chat".

I have backed off from replying to you directly in the Faith and Religion thread exactly because I truly have no wish to hurt your feelings UNLESS it seems that a "slap in the face" might wake you up to examine more closely what I view as huge leaps, jumping to unwarranted conclusions on little or no verifiable evidence. It is because I have concluded that you are not likely to ever challenge your own views in a logical manner, that I have chosen to only respond to your views indirectly so they don't go unchallenged to everyone else who might visit here. I'm actually trying to be a friend. At some point we all have to accept who we are, or at least, I think we should. I wish you good fortune, brother... whatever you decide.


.... and yes, individuals often have huge impacts on the course of progress. Just try to imagine how very different this world would be right now had Steve Jobs never met Steve Wozniak. Some point out such things as Columbus didn't discover America... sailing ships did since sooner or later someone would have done it once it became possible. In the case of computers, certainly it was "in the air" and sooner or later someone was likely going to go way beyond the Altair and go into business and make Home PCs "the next big thing" but the hard fact is the two Steves did do it and probably years before any other person or persons would have, utterly changing the path of humanity, for better and for worse.

Last edited by enorbet; 08-17-2019 at 05:58 PM.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 306

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312
@enorbet
Thanks for finaly replying more or less like LQ should be used. In neutral way. However i don't care about faith and religion thread. That is question of opinions anyway. I am more interested about our "beef"(truly misunderstanding) and other thread posts which was misunderstanding like about self driving car theme and gun poll. It is simple. If you(older citizens of planet Earth) know more about guns for example then reply properly like this video presentation about shotguns not sucking..and if i would insult hazel then she would make it clear that i need apologize yet i did not and she did not request.
Basically i found youtube channel with videos about life interactions that fits this thread - try watching. Most of those lessons i already learned growing up so i am normal. No need to get upset on me because who we are on internet is not who we are in real life by default. I already wrote that i still have childhood naivness remaining yet due to experiences that is more or less caged cause people who are too nice get abused|misused more by those who want profit out of it. I have no problem helping if i can but i won't help all time cause i noticed that is beneficial. In my work same problem. The more we work as additional assistance the more it is implemented as basic requirement. People have become egoistical and only profit based. Our country still is balanced more or less..but if nothing will change same story will become.

Last edited by Arcane; 08-18-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: more
 
Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
permaroot
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: Arden, NC
Distribution: Manjaro, Centos7, Arch
Posts: 105

Rep: Reputation: 46
I think we need a “Safe Space” sub-forum with music and puppies/kittens.
 
Old 08-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Contrapak
Member
 
Registered: May 2019
Location: /home/
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 131

Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by permaroot View Post
I think we need a “Safe Space” sub-forum with music and puppies/kittens.
Sounds like two thread topics that fit just fine in General.
 
Old 08-19-2019, 02:10 AM   #8
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,307
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309Reputation: 3309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
"beef"(truly misunderstanding)
Calling differing opinions a beef is in itself a misunderstanding.
Calling a beef a misunderstanding is code for "I won't accept it until you agree with me".

Sorry to be insensitive about it.
You may kick me out of the safe space now.

PS: everything I write is just my opinion. I deliberately refrain from giving any "advices"(undeserved insults in disguise) from 'older' people (quote from post #1).
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17
Posts: 5,822
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900
Latest escapade from this weekend.

Wife wanted me to meet a new engineer moved out here. He has the same interests as me outside of work. He has no place to store his motorcycle and is new to the area.

Edit: I am older of the 2.

I take things like this slow as I measure the person through conversation. Engineers are quirky and require patience. I am on the fence as I wait out what may come of this yet.

He gave me 4 coffee cups as a sign of friendship. I am a slow study when it comes to letting people in my inner circle, but am friendly with all all the time. I am open minded enough also to be friendly with others who have different ideas about religion and politics also.

They won't make it to my inner circle though.

If we become friends. I can use the extra help at my shop and some company. He will have storage and tools. Win win as we both make a difference in both of our lives. He may just become a acquaintance though. Time will tell.

Got get out more if you wanna make a difference.

I was taught to share with my eastern European background. But not to shoot myself in the foot either. When sharing.

Last edited by rokytnji; 08-19-2019 at 09:20 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 306

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
Calling differing opinions a beef is in itself a misunderstanding.
Calling a beef a misunderstanding is code for "I won't accept it until you agree with me".

Sorry to be insensitive about it.
You may kick me out of the safe space now{...}
Yea i know but if some not read what i write in direct context what can i do? I clearly mentioned that i do not insult. So i do not deserve insults aswell. I am friendly if not provoced or put into suspicious circumstance situations in real life. I learned those lessons about being human and love and friendship is better than money, but when it comes to basic income it is needed, and power, this also on basic level is needed in society to prevent bullies, etc. already so no need to reteach me. I am normal already. Sometimes or often misunderstood but normal. I know sceptics are so used to generalizing..i hate this. I am not your average millenial who does not appreciate elders. On the contrary. When i grew up i tried to hang out with elderly more than with my own cause they were levelheaded and could teach important life lessons. Also in school i read books. So i know those lessons already. My life was not privileged. Just appeared as if would be because of my body issues. However as i said ever since i started to work..i noticed that too much niceness will bring misfortune. People will start to toy with those who are nice. Also because i am nice i attract like Coach Red Pill(mostly good content on YouTube) on youtube said those who prey on naive people like me.

Long story short : don't judge people without knowing them. And what does internet profile name have to do with this anyway? My nickname might be Arcane but it was long time ago i picked it and it does not cancel that i am also living being. I can also then chicane other people nicknames.

So in the end it is not me who needs safe space but others. Also i am writing this to help others in similar situation.

Last edited by Arcane; 08-19-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: more
 
Old 08-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 2,381

Rep: Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399
OK Arcane... imagine this. A longtime friend mentions he's thinking of buying a car from a particular dealer, so in good conscience you say to him/her, "Before you do that you should ask around. They really swindled me badly all the way down to serious dirty tricks like sawdust in the transmission and much worse. That car didn't last a month and they would neither take it back nor fix it, so I went to the Better Business Bureau who told me they could do nothing but relate that they had a file cabinet full of complaints so I went to the police. They told me they were investigating the company and maybe, if they got really lucky, they might get shut down eventually but there was no grounds to get any manner of compensation by it's past customers because of the contract they sign."

Good, helpful advice, right? You didn't tell him "DON'T BE AN IDIOT! DON'T BUY THERE! TRUST ME", instead you said "ask around"... look more deeply into it, and related your personal experience and more importantly two different (and credible) 3rd parties with expertise in that area who confirmed it wasn't an isolated event to you and he could ask them, too..... but he goes there, that day, buys a car which breaks down in a month and what's more is thinking about doing further business there because the owner "seems so friendly" He even intends to recommend that dealership to friends and family. I have to ask... you don't think you would be even mildly insulted? ... not that he didn't agree with you, just taken your word for it, your word, but that he didn't even check the reports of swindling for himself and said, "... but their ads look legit".

Granted this is a blown up setup, exaggerated to make the point abundantly clear, but I'm confident you catch my drift.
 
Old 08-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 306

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
{...}Granted this is a blown up setup, exaggerated to make the point abundantly clear, but I'm confident you catch my drift.
But the issue is most people assume stuff prior to understanding why.
 
Old 08-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 21,824

Rep: Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775Reputation: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
But the issue is most people assume stuff prior to understanding why.
Again, as you've been told before: YouTube isn't a good source of information. You seem to get a LOT of what you think you know from television and YouTube, and it certainly shows. You post little besides YouTube links, and posts that are 100% non-technical (on a technical forum. I tend to be far more direct and terse than enorbet and ondoho; take it as an insult or not, it doesn't matter.

If you want people to agree with you and feed into what you are fed from the videos you want to watch, then I'd suggest you start a private group on Facebook, or get your own blog. That will not serve you well in ANY capacity...if you want to make a difference in the world, then GET OUT IN IT AND DO SO. Quit watching videos and posting things like this, where you get insulted if folks don't agree with you.

Learn, grow, and do; there is no YouTube video that will help you, it involves you actually getting up and doing something. Ask yourself; what have YOU, PERSONALLY done to make things better?? Have you done any outreach in your community? Swept trash out of the street by your house? Checked in on those around you, who may not be able to get out? Bought food for someone hungry? ANYTHING??

You don't have to make the world better...make your piece of it better, and others will too.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 AM   #14
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 306

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312
@TB0ne
Hi. And once again i will beg to differ. YouTube is more than valid because it is both visual and audio presentation at same time. Ever wonder why there is quote "picture speaks louder than thousand words"? I learned basic english from watching children cartoons better than at school teached. Coincidence? Not really. Human brain works like a computer but made from grey matter not silicone. And humans and nonhuman brains are wired to respond to such method better than plain source. I am not programmer despite unfinished computer studies due to circumstances that i not want post yet but it was not my fault and for that reason mostly post in General but connection is visible. My work involves driving at the moment. So i do know how real life work just enough to say that something does need to change..and i earned salary so i know what it is like to do something else other than watching youtube. For this reason i wrote that i have real life experiences aswell. Yet some think i am dumb and they not matter. Each of our lives matter. If youtube is not good source then what is good source? Books? Like Harry Potter is real then aswell? All type of sources have truth and fiction and lies. But again "picture speak louder than text or words"..so both video and audio is like multiple pictures explained.

Last edited by Arcane; 08-21-2019 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old 08-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #15
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 2,381

Rep: Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399Reputation: 2399
There is a major difference though, Arcane. Books are labeled Fiction or Non-Fiction. YouTube videos are not so labelled. You also quote movies and publications which are labelled Fiction and not as a point of speculation to consider, but as solid evidence. Fiction is not evidence.
 
  


Reply

Tags
life


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Libreboot C201 from Minifree is really really really ridiculously open source jeremy Linux - News 0 12-09-2016 10:51 AM
Does it really make a difference to use make -jK instead only "make" while compiling? angel'le Linux - General 1 04-26-2014 01:14 AM
World of warcraft for Linux.(This is a forum for people who want world of warcraft..) darkstarbyte Linux - Games 17 09-05-2011 02:30 AM
How can I get people to use Linux? I'm bad at converting people over. Mr. Hill Linux - Newbie 31 10-19-2008 09:16 AM
Really, really Weird trouble with make (make error 2) flyeater SUSE / openSUSE 5 06-20-2005 12:05 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration