LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #3391
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US( + travel,) Earth( I wish,) END BORDER$!◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 4,002
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359

At least with Linux we make the bricks!
 
Old 08-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #3392
rigor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: 19th moon ................. ................Planet Covid ................Another.Galaxy;............. ................Not Yours
Posts: 308

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison20000e View Post
By risk of making a brick.

There are companies that do (or use to(?) do) it for you, if you send the right brand laptops.
So it costs money, and it's limited to laptops.
 
Old 08-08-2020, 04:35 AM   #3393
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,425

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
I'm aware of discounted "Upgrade" versions of Windows, but upgrading free? Please give the details.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-f...how-to-get-it/

MS want everyone on Windows 10, it's that simple. This is why they're "containerising" Linux with WSL2 and why they've cosied up to the Linux foundation and donated so much money. There was one important factor which drove Linux adoption on the desktop: The cost and hassle of replacing an EoL Windows install and Windows 10 has been MS' approach to removing that. But MS is still bound to the major OEMs and has to play their game to some extent (to ensure they don't start pumping out boxes preinstalled with Ubuntu for example - they've done this before and it was my opinion then that it was a "political" move and I still believe that). While MS reputation as the bogeyman is deserved, Acer, Asus, HP, Lenovo, etc are very much part of this "cartel" which keeps Windows and x86, firmly rooted in place.

The Windows 10 web page gives the "official" advice to the prospective user that their hardware might not be up to the job via a simple multiple choice questionnaire - the reality is that I have upgraded 10 year old boxes from 7 to 10 and the latter seems far more optimised and responsive.

Last edited by cynwulf; 08-08-2020 at 04:41 AM.
 
Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #3394
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US( + travel,) Earth( I wish,) END BORDER$!◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 4,002
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
So it costs money, and it's limited to laptops.
Libreboot is one that im aware of... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreboot
 
Old 08-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #3395
rigor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: 19th moon ................. ................Planet Covid ................Another.Galaxy;............. ................Not Yours
Posts: 308

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison20000e View Post
Libreboot is one that im aware of... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreboot
Thanks. However, I get the impression that it is important to get into the related articles, to read the section that begins "There are a number of reasons why binary blobs can be problematic.". I get the impression that type of thing is relied on with the approach. As it is, installing a new version of a Linux "distro." on a UEFI machine was somewhat painful; had to discover that I didn't just have to disable "secure boot", but also say no to "Trusted Grub", to get it to work. But at least the somewhat motherboard specific, standard BIOS, is still there. In particular, over the years I've had plenty of problems with Proprietary NVidia drivers. So I'd prefer to stay away from the proprietary "binary blobs". In particular when the article mentions NVidia, as it does.

Last edited by rigor; 08-10-2020 at 08:51 PM.
 
Old 08-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #3396
rigor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: 19th moon ................. ................Planet Covid ................Another.Galaxy;............. ................Not Yours
Posts: 308

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-f...how-to-get-it/

MS want everyone on Windows 10, it's that simple. This is why they're "containerising" Linux with WSL2 and why they've cosied up to the Linux foundation and donated so much money. There was one important factor which drove Linux adoption on the desktop: The cost and hassle of replacing an EoL Windows install and Windows 10 has been MS' approach to removing that. But MS is still bound to the major OEMs and has to play their game to some extent (to ensure they don't start pumping out boxes preinstalled with Ubuntu for example - they've done this before and it was my opinion then that it was a "political" move and I still believe that). While MS reputation as the bogeyman is deserved, Acer, Asus, HP, Lenovo, etc are very much part of this "cartel" which keeps Windows and x86, firmly rooted in place.

The Windows 10 web page gives the "official" advice to the prospective user that their hardware might not be up to the job via a simple multiple choice questionnaire - the reality is that I have upgraded 10 year old boxes from 7 to 10 and the latter seems far more optimised and responsive.
Thanks!
 
Old 08-08-2020, 11:16 PM   #3397
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US( + travel,) Earth( I wish,) END BORDER$!◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 4,002
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359
I've never really dove into Nvidia drivers for Linux, nor Intel?

Last edited by jamison20000e; 08-08-2020 at 11:20 PM. Reason: it's listed here! :p
 
Old 08-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #3398
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,425

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Thanks. However, I get the impression that it is important to get into the related articles, to read the section that begins "There are a number of reasons why binary blobs can be problematic.". I get the impression that type of thing is relied on with the approach. As it is, installing a new version of a Linux "distro." on a UEFI machine was somewhat painful; had to discover that I didn't just have to disable "secure boot", but also say no to "Trusted Grub", to get it to work. But at least the somewhat motherboard specific, standard BIOS, is still there. In particular, over the yeThere are a number of reasons why binary blobs can be problematic.ars I've had plenty of problems with Proprietary NVidia drivers. So I'd prefer to stay away from the proprietary "binary blobs". In particular when the article mentions NVidia, as it does.
There is a difference between a binary "blob", such as the nvidia proprietary display driver and the device firmwares used on various hardware devices - the main difference is that the "blob" actually runs natively as part of the OS, while device firmware does not - it runs on the device itself.

While libreboot have sought to address the issue of the system BIOS/UEFI usually being a closed source firmware image (and unlike the parent project (coreboot), apparently excluded all closed source firmware), albeit only supporting a very small number of specific boards, they have not resolved the bigger problem of "open hardware", nor can they ever hope to do so.

So while it might be nice to run a "free BIOS", it does seem somewhat of a token approach, when you consider that the CPU microcodes, IME firmware, wired and wireless NIC firmware and a whole plethora of other device firmware are closed source.
 
Old 08-14-2020, 08:37 PM   #3399
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US( + travel,) Earth( I wish,) END BORDER$!◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 4,002
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359Reputation: 1359
Open hardware is the way to go, make yourself a Arduino UNO!

Or, e.g; https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sla...uestions/12065
https://www.crowdsupply.com/sutajio-kosagi/novena

3d printers anyone...

Last edited by jamison20000e; 08-14-2020 at 08:44 PM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
64bit, bsd, cloud, linux, microsoft, misinformation, opensource, troll's playground, unix, windows, your words twisted...


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Tutorial: Four Easy Fun Useful Things You Can Do With Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-30-2008 11:41 PM
LXer: KDE 4: The Shiny New Linux (and Windows) Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-17-2007 06:10 PM
media server or other fun things. doralsoral Linux - Software 1 11-05-2005 07:55 AM
most fun & excited things about Linux woranl Linux - General 2 07-27-2004 08:28 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration