LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #16
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,857

Rep: Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824Reputation: 2824

I see it now that it's pointed out, thanks guys.
 
Old 02-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
Jason_25
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2001
Posts: 79

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
If you think the "information of their forum was low brow at best", then why bother with it? From what I saw on it's index page, it seems it isn't a very popular forum.

While it's rules weren't easy to find, the only one based on what you say that I can see being applicable here would be the one below, but it does say you'll get a warning, so since you didn't, well that seems strange to me. The only answer I could give without seeing what you actually posted would be that; they might have considered both of your posts there as "spam", and therefore felt that just banning you was more appropriate instead.

From https://www.lattepanda.com/topic-f5t366.html?start=20



Did they actually give you any reason in this "ban page" ?

While they don't seem to have a hell of a lot of rules/guidelines, the rule/guideline posted above does seem a tad restrictive to me.

The reason I would like to continue to post there is it is the official support channel for the device. I am banned from the forum at the IP level. I posted in the "Cool Projects" forum. I thought that is what it was for. No reasons given. These were the contents of my posts (in quotations):
Post 1:
"(To start out I would like to say that I just got started with the Lattepanda within the last week and I have been very happy so far.)

I am powering my Lattepanda (original) from lithium ion batteries and and plan on putting it in my pocket. Are there any tricks that can be used to save more power?

I have already unloaded the wifi and ethernet driver and that did not save much power. I have tried setting the CPU to 450 mhz with minimal power effect because it already idled at that speed.

Maybe a bios setting? Maybe there are traces that could be cut or something unsoldered from the board?

Thanks for any help."

Post 2:
"This is a release bulletin for my Mobile Internet Device project. This device takes the form of a do-it-yourself collection of parts in which you can assemble your own cellular connected smart device that runs free software.

I decided to build a no-limits version of the kind of devices I had built previously but this time free from the constraints of the ARM platform. The Lattepanda was an obvious choice for this with the affordable price and small form factor.

It is hoped that the information will be clear and understandable for anyone to follow. If you need assistance please post an issue on the issue tracker. Thanks and good luck."


Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
They might not have liked the fact that your images were flipped wrong.

(Serious answer: I have no idea why they banned you, but if you did that here you'd be banned here too).

What would that be exactly? Having my images flipped would cause me to be banned here? That is a strange one. I feel like I have tried to contribute the best I can here. That is a really messed up reason to ban or threaten to ban someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
A friendly piece of advice - get over yourself. This is exactly the kind of attitude that gets people taken away by the police in other countries, I've seen it happen. Your protestations that you are an American, a citizen of the free world, mean nothing. In fact to some people it's even offensive.



Yes, take them to court. Because that's not an overreaction at all.
Let me guess that you are from Europe or somewhere else that does not have strong recognition of basic human rights codified into the very law itself. Guess how scared I am that "the police" are going to come take me away? Your post is a kind of contradiction. I am free in a free land thus the police are not going to come take me any time soon. I never threatened to take anyone to court. Your definition of the word "justice" is limited at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
Pointing out someone's ridiculous ideas is not bullying, saying something another doesn't like isn't bullying, having a different opinion isn't bullying. If anything, we are giving OP some old-fashioned life-advice albeit in a rather sarcastic way: doing such points out the fallacies in his arguments, provides balance and perspective and hopefully injects some mild humour into the topic that will give him something to think about. He did ask.

It's otherwise, in the vernacular, known as a 'reality check'. Don't be so quick to lay the 'bullying' card, it diminishes genuine bullying, which is a very serious thing.
Uh oh. I'm getting a "reality check". What fallacies have I provided in my post? Not that I expected my post to be analyzed for fallacies to begin with. I'm sure if I went back through your posts retroactively we could find some logical errors.
 
Old 02-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #18
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 current / Linux Mint / Debian / Void Linux
Posts: 8,131

Rep: Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677Reputation: 1677
if you really really want to get back in all it needs is a user name and email.
 
Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #19
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,548

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Now that I've seen what your posts were; I don't understand why you were banned either, and it makes even less sense. I would assume that they have a "Cool Projects" forum for that reason too. Given you said you were banned at "IP level", then perhaps someone else has had your IP address that did get banned for breaking their rules, beyond that, I really can't see why you were banned from it. I can't see anything wrong with your posts that you have posted here. I certainly can't see how you would get banned here if you made the same posts here.

So I really don't know why they banned you. If you really want to continue there, then I think the only thing you could do would be to contact the admin of that forum, and ask for a reason. And perhaps explain the intention behind your posts there, and ask the ban be lifted.
 
Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #20
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 11,046
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780Reputation: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_25 View Post
The reason I would like to continue to post there is it is the official support channel for the device. I am banned from the forum at the IP level. I posted in the "Cool Projects" forum. I thought that is what it was for. No reasons given. These were the contents of my posts (in quotations):
Post 1:
"(To start out I would like to say that I just got started with the Lattepanda within the last week and I have been very happy so far.)

I am powering my Lattepanda (original) from lithium ion batteries and and plan on putting it in my pocket. Are there any tricks that can be used to save more power?

I have already unloaded the wifi and ethernet driver and that did not save much power. I have tried setting the CPU to 450 mhz with minimal power effect because it already idled at that speed.

Maybe a bios setting? Maybe there are traces that could be cut or something unsoldered from the board?

Thanks for any help."

Post 2:
"This is a release bulletin for my Mobile Internet Device project. This device takes the form of a do-it-yourself collection of parts in which you can assemble your own cellular connected smart device that runs free software.

I decided to build a no-limits version of the kind of devices I had built previously but this time free from the constraints of the ARM platform. The Lattepanda was an obvious choice for this with the affordable price and small form factor.

It is hoped that the information will be clear and understandable for anyone to follow. If you need assistance please post an issue on the issue tracker. Thanks and good luck."
how do you know you were banned and how do you know it was on the IP level?
those are your only posts, the only content you provided? nothing else, no images, avatars, pms, links to sites?
no reasons at all given for the ban? i find that highly unlikely tbh.
can't you just show us your posts there?

Quote:
Let me guess that you are from Europe or somewhere else that does not have strong recognition of basic human rights codified into the very law itself. Guess how scared I am that "the police" are going to come take me away? Your post is a kind of contradiction. I am free in a free land thus the police are not going to come take me any time soon. I never threatened to take anyone to court. Your definition of the word "justice" is limited at best.
oh, that's a strong one.
your choice of words, moral concepts and level of delusion make me think you're from the USA, yes?
since your statement seems to be comparative, could you confirm that, then we can discuss a little more.

Anyhow, if you contributed that sort of content to lattepanda (even via links only) i'm beginning to understand why they banned you.
 
Old 02-18-2019, 02:20 AM   #21
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,548

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
...
your choice of words, moral concepts and level of delusion make me think you're from the USA, yes?
since your statement seems to be comparative, could you confirm that, then we can discuss a little more.

Anyhow, if you contributed that sort of content to lattepanda (even via links only) i'm beginning to understand why they banned you.
The OP said they were from America in their OP (I'm not saying that's a bad thing either, as it's not very nice to stereotype people).

What exactly do you think was wrong with the posts the OP posted here? What's "that sort of content" mean exactly ?
 
Old 02-18-2019, 04:47 AM   #22
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,224
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315Reputation: 1315
Explanation for why there is no link to the posts:

https://www.lattepanda.com/topic-f6p27487.html
https://www.lattepanda.com/topic-f11p27574.html

Google's cache of the posts:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-f6t18305.html
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ic-p27574.html

You've likely been flagged as a spammer, due to that link in the second post, which is incidentally a github page that solicits quotes for building devices and paid support/services...

tl;dr - you got the boot, because you were selling stuff...

Your choices seem all too obvious:

1) Make another account, but don't repeat the same actions.
2) Contact the board administrators https://www.lattepanda.com/forum/mem...e=contactadmin to see if your existing account can be reactivated.

Last edited by cynwulf; 02-18-2019 at 04:50 AM.
 
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #23
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 2,548

Rep: Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
...

You've likely been flagged as a spammer, due to that link in the second post, which is incidentally a github page that solicits quotes for building devices and paid support/services...
...
2) Contact the board administrators https://www.lattepanda.com/forum/mem...e=contactadmin to see if your existing account can be reactivated.
So it looks like I was right to begin with (in post #2) ...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lattepanda single arm board for windows 10 linuxhere Linux - Hardware 5 05-02-2018 05:58 PM
Relationship between LQ forums & Distro forums impeteperry LQ Suggestions & Feedback 3 11-01-2005 02:20 PM
new forums or sub-forums stuart1946 LQ Suggestions & Feedback 3 10-28-2004 07:58 AM
TAR errors - to worry or not to worry?? dudeha Linux - General 2 12-31-2002 03:09 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration