LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 514

Rep: Reputation: 66
Anyone an iPhone user?


I currently have a low-end phone from Samsung that I bought last year that won't get any security patches past August. Considering that several high profile vulnerabilities (like KRACK) were discovered during that timeframe, I've been getting frustrated with Android phones being dropped from the support cycle too soon and I would like to have something that has better long-term support. The Pixel is out of my price range, but I have been noticing carriers offering the iPhone SE with some decent discounts.

My only question I want to know is how restricted it is. I know iPhones don't really need iTunes much anymore, but on the other hand iOS doesn't grant you access to the filesystem or allow copying directly by USB. Is it possible to use an iPhone without being too tied to Apple's ecosystem or to a specific app?

Also, if anyone knows any low-end phones (<$200) that work well with LineageOS, I'll consider those as well.
 
Old 02-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,150

Rep: Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273Reputation: 3273
Quote:
but on the other hand iOS doesn't grant you access to the filesystem or allow copying directly by USB.
Nope.

When I want to transfer files from Linux to mine, I put the files on a web host (Dropbox or a home nginx server) and download it with the phone.
 
Old 02-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17
Posts: 5,516
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620
Hmmm. I sold my Iphone 5S locally for $200.00 used. So not sure where you are gonna find a good Apple Phone for cheap.

Any hows. I kinda like these if I did not have my Samsung S7 Edge already.

Google search elephone s8.

When I had my Iphone. To move Iphone stuff to my Linux installs.

https://www.sendspace.com/

Kinda sorta like dugan suggested.
 
Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17
Posts: 5,516
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620Reputation: 2620
Not big enough to game on or watch movies. But I like it anyways. $ 125.00 bucks unlocked. Just insert sim card and go.

Jelly Phone.
 
Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 / Slackware 14.2 current / Manjaro
Posts: 6,319

Rep: Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
I currently have a low-end phone from Samsung that I bought last year that won't get any security patches past August. Considering that several high profile vulnerabilities (like KRACK) were discovered during that timeframe, I've been getting frustrated with Android phones being dropped from the support cycle too soon and I would like to have something that has better long-term support. The Pixel is out of my price range, but I have been noticing carriers offering the iPhone SE with some decent discounts.

My only question I want to know is how restricted it is. I know iPhones don't really need iTunes much anymore, but on the other hand iOS doesn't grant you access to the filesystem or allow copying directly by USB. Is it possible to use an iPhone without being too tied to Apple's ecosystem or to a specific app?

Also, if anyone knows any low-end phones (<$200) that work well with LineageOS, I'll consider those as well.
i've got a iPhone SE unlocked, verizon, they unlocked them (older) iPhone's (maybe all of them, requires an update ios thru iTunes), so I got one. I have not used Itunes other than to put music on it. and yes you cannot access from Linux, every time that person gets them programs to work (libimobiledevice and alike) Apple updates ios and it locks you out again.

mine eBay $300 new, never used. apple was selling them for $350 64GB model. With that much room I got a lot of music on it so I do not have to go back and change out my music whenever I get tired of what I have on it.

Last edited by BW-userx; 02-28-2018 at 11:51 AM.
 
Old 02-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 514

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
Hmmm. I sold my Iphone 5S locally for $200.00 used. So not sure where you are gonna find a good Apple Phone for cheap.
A lot of carriers have been subsidizing the prepaid iPhone SE since July and lowering the price for a new phone between $150-$200. The only catch is that it remains locked to the carrier for a year and you have to be on a prepaid plan. However, that's also lowering the price on the used market. All of the iPhones newer than a 7 remain pretty expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
i've got a iPhone SE unlocked, verizon, they unlocked them (older) iPhone's (maybe all of them, requires an update ios thru iTunes), so I got one. I have not used Itunes other than to put music on it. and yes you cannot access from Linux, every time that person gets them programs to work (libimobiledevice and alike) Apple updates ios and it locks you out again.

mine eBay $300 new, never used. apple was selling them for $350 64GB model. With that much room I got a lot of music on it so I do not have to go back and change out my music whenever I get tired of what I have on it.
Ok, that's what I figured. I don't usually put music on my phone anyway, so that's not as big of a deal. The only thing I saw that might be a problem are SMS messages, which doesn't seem like it can be easily imported from Android. On past devices, I've always backed it up to an XML file and imported it to a new phone.
 
Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 8,409
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046Reputation: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
Also, if anyone knows any low-end phones (<$200) that work well with LineageOS, I'll consider those as well.
i'd search the other way round: look at the list of devices suppported by lineage os, then search for them on ebay or some such.
 
Old 03-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 514

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
i'd search the other way round: look at the list of devices suppported by lineage os, then search for them on ebay or some such.
Thanks for the tip. I happened to stumble across this article.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ets-lineageos/

Looks like my best bet is a Motorola phone.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Linux for iPhone May Open the Door to Android iPhone LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-30-2008 01:10 AM
LXer: iPhone applications for the Linux user LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-19-2008 09:50 AM
Apple Iphone 16Gb/ New Edition Iphone 3G telcom Linux - Newbie 1 07-11-2008 09:53 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration