LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
xlucas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Argentina
Distribution: Linux Mint
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Alternative to GitHub and SourceForge?


Hi! I would like to find a good site to post my software (usually free software, but if it's somewhere I can also post non free, that is good too). I see GitHub and SourceForge are popular, but I don't like them very much.

GitHub is oriented toward projects maintained by many people and it doesn't seem very friendly to somebody who's not a programmer and is searching for a site with screenshots, an FAQ and some information, from where to download the software they want. SourceForge is kind of bulky and it triggers my blockers using lots of third-party things. Oh, and GitHub belongs to Microsoft... and I wouldn't be surprised of both sites use the Google API.

I wonder if there is a simpler, lighter site, where I can sort of organise a page to receive the people who would like to use my programs, a site that's as free as the software I put in it and comfortable to use for visitors. If there isn't such thing, it looks like I'll just have to rent a domain a host it myself, but surely there is a better option, even if not exactly what I'm thinking. Any ideas? Thank you so much
 
Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Mill J
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Location: 127.0.0.1 Sweet 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Void, MX, Haiku, Icaros, Puppy and many others
Posts: 1,080
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456
I had the same question when I started programming. I settled on SourceForge and it's worked out well. Did you know SourceForge provides website hosting for every project in addition to the prefab project page? You can upload a light weight user friendly web page then link to the project page for downloads. It automatically gets indexed by search engines out of the box.



Of course one of the requirements on SF is all hosted projects must be open source so that could be a show stopper.

Let us know what you decide.
 
Old 06-26-2020, 02:11 AM   #3
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,537
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlucas View Post
Hi! I would like to find a good site to post my software (usually free software, but if it's somewhere I can also post non free, that is good too). I see GitHub and SourceForge are popular, but I don't like them very much.

GitHub is oriented toward projects maintained by many people and it doesn't seem very friendly to somebody who's not a programmer and is searching for a site with screenshots, an FAQ and some information, from where to download the software they want. SourceForge is kind of bulky and it triggers my blockers using lots of third-party things. Oh, and GitHub belongs to Microsoft... and I wouldn't be surprised of both sites use the Google API.

I wonder if there is a simpler, lighter site, where I can sort of organise a page to receive the people who would like to use my programs, a site that's as free as the software I put in it and comfortable to use for visitors. If there isn't such thing, it looks like I'll just have to rent a domain a host it myself, but surely there is a better option, even if not exactly what I'm thinking. Any ideas? Thank you so much
It seems you want a place for your code, but also a nice front page? Those are two separate things, esp. if you want to use a version control system. Do you? If you want to use git, I have two alternatives for you, see my signature.
At least framagit also offers "pages", i.e. you can have a website, e.g. xlucas.frama.io.

edit:
Someone will mention it anyhow, so I say: gitlab.com isn't much better than github.com.
 
Old 06-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 3,571

Rep: Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874Reputation: 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
Someone will mention it anyhow, so I say: gitlab.com isn't much better than github.com.
framagit.org (the second link in your sig) is running the same software as gitlab.com though, right?
 
Old 06-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
Turbocapitalist
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,827
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398Reputation: 2398
If you want to use what others have set up then you could consider Source Hut (https://sr.ht/) or GitLab.

However, since you mentioned not being adverse to paying, you might consider renting a VPS, a domain name, and then self-hosting.
 
Old 06-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 9,597

Rep: Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278Reputation: 4278
You don't need version control, hosted CI/CD pipeline, etc, right?

I've heard of this but haven't used it:

https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

Also: this isn't the exact same question but it's also not unrelated:

Is there any free web hosting service suitable for programmers?

Last edited by dugan; 06-26-2020 at 07:05 PM.
 
Old 06-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
xlucas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Argentina
Distribution: Linux Mint
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Thank you, guys. I'll be taking a look at your suggestions. You've given me very good hints in many possible directions. I just wanted to add some comments to a few things you mentioned or asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill J
Did you know SourceForge provides website hosting for every project in addition to the prefab project page?
I didn't know this! I think I will consider SourceForge. Only thing I don't like about it is that it uses lots of JS and third party stuff, making it not very Tor-friendly and the same goes for people disabling cookies or JS in their browser. Because I usually do these things, I would like to support other people that do them. Yet, you've tackled my biggest concern about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho
esp. if you want to use a version control system. Do you?
As a matter of fact, I have never got to be familiar with version control. I've always worked alone. I don't feel I need it. And if having that feature will make the experience more complicated for non-programming visitors, I prefer it not be there. But I've been peeking at the sites you use and they do look good. I'm going to read more in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist
However, since you mentioned not being adverse to paying, you might consider renting a VPS, a domain name, and then self-hosting.
Oh, I didn't mean that. I meant I mostly write free software, but might write non-free software too, so if the site accepts non-free software, that's a plus, but not required. About paying, I'd very much prefer not to have to pay for it. My country has lots of restrictions when it regards international payments. It's more the hassle than the money itself really

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan
You don't need version control, hosted CI/CD pipeline, etc, right?
I've heard of this but haven't used it:
https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/
Also: this isn't the exact same question but it's also not unrelated:
Is there any free web hosting service suitable for programmers?
I don't need such things, you're right. You know, I was recently presented with that hosting site not long ago for an entirely different reason. It's a good option too. Right now, it's complicated for me to make any international payment, though, but will consider it... if I manage to migrate, ha, ha. It really sounds good. And hey, thanks for linking me to that topic. I found it had pretty much to do with my case. It seems my question is not uncommon as I had assumed.
 
Old 06-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
Mill J
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Location: 127.0.0.1 Sweet 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Void, MX, Haiku, Icaros, Puppy and many others
Posts: 1,080
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlucas View Post
I didn't know this! I think I will consider SourceForge. Only thing I don't like about it is that it uses lots of JS and third party stuff, making it not very Tor-friendly and the same goes for people disabling cookies or JS in their browser. Because I usually do these things, I would like to support other people that do them. Yet, you've tackled my biggest concern about it.


As a matter of fact, I have never got to be familiar with version control. I've always worked alone. I don't feel I need it. And if having that feature will make the experience more complicated for non-programming visitors, I prefer it not be there. But I've been peeking at the sites you use and they do look good. I'm going to read more in detail.
I completely understand why the sourceforge bloat would be negative because I hate bloated stuff and ads and this is no exception, luckily my fast, no bloat/js website seems to offset this.


The sf pros seem to outweigh the cons as of right now(we all know that can change). You can enable/disable Git, Forums, Tickets, Blogs, Mailing lists, etc for every project you host, should you ever need it. I set up tickets and forums but I didn't figure it'd get any use, but luckily some very valuable feedback/bug reports have been provided via the project page. The download stats are also nice to have, as is the multiple different rss feeds.

Also even though sf supports git in addition to Github integration, it is largely geared toward a release model where you release source packages and binary files.

Bottom line, it's far from ideal, but it does work, and it's easy for a broke programmer to share his code
 
Old 06-27-2020, 02:16 AM   #9
xlucas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Argentina
Distribution: Linux Mint
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm actually trying notabug.org now. I want to give it a shot. While version control is not what I want and it makes it unusual for me in the way of uploading and a little less intuitive for visitors, I like the fact that it's very, very free and does not use Google and lots of third-party stuff. To be honest, I'm trying to learn how to use it in a way that it feels like version control isn't there at all, ha, ha, both for me and for the visitor. I managed to upload my files without using Git and to place a link in the README.md file so that visitors can download the whole package from there as it would take several minutes for average people to find the download button at the top right corner of the file list. I realise it's not intended to be a fancy website for agnostic visitors, yet it does include a wiki... I could use that as a receiving page and more. Let's see how it goes
 
Old 06-27-2020, 03:55 AM   #10
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,537
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048Reputation: 4048
^ great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlucas View Post
As a matter of fact, I have never got to be familiar with version control. I've always worked alone. I don't feel I need it. And if having that feature will make the experience more complicated for non-programming visitors, I prefer it not be there. But I've been peeking at the sites you use and they do look good. I'm going to read more in detail.
I also work (mostly) alone, but learning git (the very basics at least) is the best thing I did in a long time. E.g.: I have a local software project, make some changes to it, commit them via git, and issue "git push" - that uploads the changes to both sites I use. Much more convenient than uploading something through a browser window... plus, all changes are preserved, I could go back if need be, or I can branch out, e.g.: have 2 branches of my config files, one for my desktop, one for my laptop.
So, it makes a lot of sense even if you work alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntubski View Post
framagit.org (the second link in your sig) is running the same software as gitlab.com though, right?
Yes, or the opensource part of it.
There's now a community edition (CE) and an enterprise edition (EE) of the gitlab software.
I'm sure gitlab.com uses the EE, and that there's some closed source bits and a lot of collaboration with amazon/google/alphabet/microsoft servers.
Framagit does not, and it uses the CC.

Gitlab.com made a clever push when github.com went to the dark side, arguing that they were "better", but it soon became apparent that they're in bed with MS's competition, and even MS itself iirc, and not really much more "ethical", or however they chose to distinguish themselves from github.com
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure gitlab.com is "slightly better" than gtihub.com, but I'll argue that one should search a little further before making a decision, esp. if one doesn't require enterprise features.
 
Old 06-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
Mill J
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Location: 127.0.0.1 Sweet 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Void, MX, Haiku, Icaros, Puppy and many others
Posts: 1,080
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlucas View Post
I'm actually trying notabug.org now. I want to give it a shot. While version control is not what I want and it makes it unusual for me in the way of uploading and a little less intuitive for visitors, I like the fact that it's very, very free and does not use Google and lots of third-party stuff. To be honest, I'm trying to learn how to use it in a way that it feels like version control isn't there at all, ha, ha, both for me and for the visitor. I managed to upload my files without using Git and to place a link in the README.md file so that visitors can download the whole package from there as it would take several minutes for average people to find the download button at the top right corner of the file list. I realise it's not intended to be a fancy website for agnostic visitors, yet it does include a wiki... I could use that as a receiving page and more. Let's see how it goes

Looks very good. I was surprised to see it running Gogs, that's what I run on my Rasberry Pi for localhost version control. It allows me to push/pull from any OS without manually syncing files via usb or scp. Gogs is a great piece of software.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: GitHub Actions moves GitHub into DevOps LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-09-2019 01:04 PM
LXer: Learn to use GitHub with GitHub Learning Lab LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-20-2018 01:12 AM
LXer: GitHub Alternative SourceForge Vies for Comeback with Redesigned Site LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-17-2018 05:41 AM
LXer: GitHub wants more new contributors, because that's what GitHub is for LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-27-2017 06:36 AM
SourceForge vs. GitHub MTK358 Programming 1 08-25-2010 10:51 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration