LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Dogs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Distribution: Slackware 13.37 x64
Posts: 105

Rep: Reputation: 25
Al Jazeera reporter nails it..


"Trying to do something without anyone caring that you're doing it."


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34jPN...eature=channel
 
Old 05-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
brucehinrichs
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: US
Distribution: Debian Sid; Sabayon, UbuntuStudio, Slackware-multilib 13.1, Peppermint Ice, CentOS
Posts: 575

Rep: Reputation: 69
She's definitely got some stones...
 
Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,159

Rep: Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935
I wish US cable/sat co. would carry AlJazeera, but they don't have the guts to do so. I can get AlJazeera if I had a FTA sat system though.
 
Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292
Damn, she's got guts, I like that. She was lucky they were using teargas ... they were in a good mood I guess.
 
Old 05-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Dogs
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Distribution: Slackware 13.37 x64
Posts: 105

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 25
Ahh, it was just teargas.. I suspect most of those reporters just kind of accept that they're highly likely to fall down dead during the report. I question the dude who had the mask on, though..

I was thinking during the report, "Don't any of them have a damn gas mask for that girl?"

then that guy pops up and looks at her, then goes away.
 
Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
aizkorri
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: Basque Country
Distribution: Fedora 14, Ubuntu 14.04
Posts: 434
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 55
What I was thinking during the report was
Damn wall...
 
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,159

Rep: Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935
"All in all, its just a brick in the wall."

Last edited by Jeebizz; 05-11-2010 at 07:01 PM.
 
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
damgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 203Reputation: 203Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
I wish US cable/sat co. would carry AlJazeera, but they don't have the guts to do so. I can get AlJazeera if I had a FTA sat system though.
Dishnetwork carries Al Jazeera. I used to be a contractor for dish. I installed A LOT of international dishes.
 
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,159

Rep: Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by damgar

Dishnetwork carries Al Jazeera. I used to be a contractor for dish. I installed A LOT of international dishes.
Wow, really? English too? Thats a first. Honestly I would have never thought they would. At one point I had a copy of my local Verizon FiOs channel lineup and actually saw Al-Jazeera English listed, (don't remember the channel number), but when I tried that channel it wasn't at all Al-Jazeera English, and then a week or so later they updated the listings again, and it was removed from the list all together.

edit

Just answered my own question, nope. Arabic only apparently. Makes sense, why should an English speaking person have a different news source? Guess I'll have to learn Arabic (yea right, like I have the time, or the skill to learn another language ), or just stick to the English Al-Jazeera site. *sigh*

Last edited by Jeebizz; 05-11-2010 at 10:36 PM.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
damgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 203Reputation: 203Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
Wow, really? English too? Thats a first. Honestly I would have never thought they would. At one point I had a copy of my local Verizon FiOs channel lineup and actually saw Al-Jazeera English listed, (don't remember the channel number), but when I tried that channel it wasn't at all Al-Jazeera English, and then a week or so later they updated the listings again, and it was removed from the list all together.

edit

Just answered my own question, nope. Arabic only apparently. Makes sense, why should an English speaking person have a different news source? Guess I'll have to learn Arabic (yea right, like I have the time, or the skill to learn another language ), or just stick to the English Al-Jazeera site. *sigh*
I grew up with several people from the mid-east. I played on soccer team from 1st through 6th grades where the coach was from Jersualem, some of the families were from Jordan and Israel. I spent a lot of time at their houses. I can tell you to hurry in arabic (YELLA!), but I remember the food the most. I really miss the food. Fasting during daylight hours made NO SENSE to me when the food was so good.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
damgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 203Reputation: 203Reputation: 203
Looking at the website for Al Jazeera English, you can pay $6 a month to have it streamed to your PC. Also FTA systems are pretty easy to install. The only thing you really have to pay for is the receiver.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
cantab
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: England
Distribution: Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Debian, Proxmox.
Posts: 553

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
IIRC Al Jazeera English can be readily had in the UK. Not sure it's on Freeview (digital terrestrial), but Sky (the main satellite broadcaster) carries it, and probably Virgin Media (cable broadcaster) too. I used to watch it on occasion when I was at uni, to get some news from a non-'Western' source.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,159

Rep: Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935
Actually, one day I would like a FTA sat. system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damgar

Looking at the website for Al Jazeera English, you can pay $6 a month to have it streamed to your PC. Also FTA systems are pretty easy to install. The only thing you really have to pay for is the receiver.
Not just the receiver, but the dish too. Actually I have looked into getting a FTA system just for kicks. I think though I would be willing to pay extra for a receiver that not only decodes mpeg2 but also mpeg4 and most importantly, can do a blind scan. As for the dish, I would also invest in one that is NOT static, but motorized. Otherwise I would have to manually unclamp, and point the dish manually in case I have to change positions just in case the channels I want are moved.

At one point I did actually have sat. service, but it was DirecTV. The problem is those small dishes DirecTV and Dishnet. are a bit too small and not optimal for receiving FTA. All FTA sites I have seen that sell FTA equipment recommend a dish at least 36" in diameter. I could still probably play with my little direcTV dish, but I would probably at least have to change the LNB to a universal one, and find a FTA receiver and try my luck.

If like I said I were to buy an FTA system though, I wouldn't mind getting a BUD(big ugly dish), only for the fact that I would like to catch both Ku and C-Band, which according to these FTA sites, you need a bigger dish (6' at least) to capture C-Band broadcasts. The only other thing is, I wouldn't know the first thing how to install a sat. system, let alone a BUD. I wouldn't know how to feed the cable from the dish to my house correctly.

As for the site streaming though, is it Linux friendly, or like everything else, only works in Windows/OSX....

One other thing. I found this site: lyngsat, which is a pretty good resource for orbiting tv-sats. to be used, and of course direcTV and echostar(Dishnet.) is listed there too.

Last edited by Jeebizz; 05-12-2010 at 10:53 AM.
 
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
H_TeXMeX_H
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs View Post
Ahh, it was just teargas.. I suspect most of those reporters just kind of accept that they're highly likely to fall down dead during the report. I question the dude who had the mask on, though..

I was thinking during the report, "Don't any of them have a damn gas mask for that girl?"

then that guy pops up and looks at her, then goes away.
Yeah that guy with the mask was weird, wasn't he supposed to give her a mask, not just look at her ...
 
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
damgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 203Reputation: 203Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
Not just the receiver, but the dish too. Actually I have looked into getting a FTA system just for kicks. I think though I would be willing to pay extra for a receiver that not only decodes mpeg2 but also mpeg4 and most importantly, can do a blind scan. As for the dish, I would also invest in one that is NOT static, but motorized. Otherwise I would have to manually unclamp, and point the dish manually in case I have to change positions just in case the channels I want are moved.
If you are in the US then just about any FTA receiver will work with plain directv LNB's and switches which can be had for nothing if you ask around. This allows for multiple orbitals to all get piped together, also allowing for multiple receivers.

Last edited by damgar; 05-12-2010 at 03:06 PM.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Do Ruby on Rails with Ajax nails LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-20-2006 08:54 PM
Forwarding the Apache HTTPD log reporter to a specific port nkanthikiran Linux - Server 1 11-03-2006 04:26 AM
Set Up a Service to Send Apache HTTP 2.2 Reporter Log to a Socket nkanthikiran Red Hat 0 11-02-2006 11:07 PM
vulnerability reporter available? BenCollver Fedora 1 09-25-2006 03:16 PM
Konqueror and creating thumbs nails of pictures shazam75 Linux - Software 3 01-12-2005 02:34 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration