LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #31
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187

It just seems to me that, if you "start the exit process, as you are entitled to do," but your laws are still tangled-up in "EU supremacy," you have got to clean that up first, or at the same moment.

Also, if Parliament formally votes on it, people who feel ram-rodded will no longer have anything quite as much to b*tch about, because the Legislature will have spoken. The way is now clear for the Executive to do the Executive thing, and there will be no more legal ambiguity when this happens.

And, messy and political though it may be, get the other UK members formally involved now, also. Just as Britain's Legislature is officially going to act, require theirs to do the same thing and at the same time. If you're going to be dealing with "a splintering of the United Kingdom," you need to know that now.

It seems to me to be a purely pragmatic necessity, because you can't go a day without laws that can't be "executed" and "interpreted" the way they are presently written. No more than you can run a computer-program if you delete an essential shared library upon which it depends.

The British laws have been changed to "make an external procedure call" to the EU body-of-law. But that NIC just got shut-down.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 01-25-2017 at 11:53 AM.
 
Old 01-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #32
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,325
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113
Ah! You mean that even if the laws are repatriated, they will still contain internal references to "current EU directives" and the like. But it will still be possible to look up what current EU law on that subject is, even if we are no longer EU members.

No doubt those particular laws will be the first in line to be repealed, or at least purged of the objectionable clauses.
 
Old 01-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #33
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
I apologise again for the video-spam , but this was just released - and this gentleman again has also touched upon some points that I made.

The Britisher - The Reasons Behind Trump and Brexit


-edit

This is also rather interesting from Jimmy Dore, autopsy of the Democratic Party:

Exactly Why Democrats Got Wiped Out At Every Level Of Gov. -THOMAS FRANK Interview Part 1
Exactly Why Democrats Got Wiped Out At Every Level Of Gov. -THOMAS FRANK Interview Part 2

....Sorry.

-edit2

Exactly Why Democrats Got Wiped Out At Every Level Of Gov. -THOMAS FRANK INTERVIEW Part 3

Last edited by Jeebizz; 01-25-2017 at 06:49 PM.
 
Old 01-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #34
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
Ah! You mean that even if the laws are repatriated, they will still contain internal references to "current EU directives" and the like. But it will still be possible to look up what current EU law on that subject is, even if we are no longer EU members.

No doubt those particular laws will be the first in line to be repealed, or at least purged of the objectionable clauses.
Naww, "do it properly." You're leaving. Okay, you can leave. Therefore, get your house in order now. Re-establish what "British Law" will be going forward, and on exactly what date it will revert back to what it always should have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebizz
I apologise again for the video-spam , but this was just released - and this gentleman again has also touched upon some points that I made.
Thanks for the link. I do believe that this journalist hit things very-squarely on the head. "In fact, extremely so." The discussion of media corruption and collusion is particularly telling. (Yeah, spend the 34 minutes necessary to watch all of this clip ...)

For example, around 24:00, a clear mention of the concept of "parasitic 'free trade.'" Just how many things that we face today are, in the same way: "Parasitic?" "Exploitative?" "Destructive?" Yes, yes, yes ...

If anything good is to become of these times – and, in fact, I happen to think that "many good(!) things will" – it will be that the public will require those who work for it to be far, far more accountable to them than ever before.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 01-25-2017 at 08:40 PM.
 
Old 01-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #35
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Exactly Why Democrats Got Wiped Out At Every Level Of Gov. -THOMAS FRANK INTERVIEW Part 4
 
Old 01-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #36
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu
Posts: 5,742

Rep: Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
And, messy and political though it may be, get the other UK members formally involved now, also. Just as Britain's Legislature is officially going to act, require theirs to do the same thing and at the same time.
As the judges agreed, that would be against the law. The local parliaments have powers devolved to them by Westminster and those powers do not include anything to do with foreign relations. For the Scottish parliament to get a vote on Brexit would be like Rhode Island being able to veto the US leaving NAFTA.
 
Old 01-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #37
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
would be like Rhode Island being able to veto the US leaving NAFTA.
... which I would expect more from Vermont, or maybe California.
 
Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #38
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,517

Rep: Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619Reputation: 2619
How far it will go ???

Well HOW FAR did it go in the late 20's and early 30's in Germany !!!!

that is how far it can go

The bulletin of Atomic scientists
decided to move the " DOOMSDAY CLOCK!!! " from 3 minutes to midnight to 2 minutes and 30 seconds to MIDNIGHT

citing TRUMP as a major cause for the move

Last edited by John VV; 01-26-2017 at 02:10 PM.
 
Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #39
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
How far it will go ???

Well HOW FAR did it go in the late 20's and early 30's in Germany !!!!

that is how far it can go
Well I could see the parallel being drawn, and what I keep bringing up is what I think is the overall root cause of it. Combination of not just economic, but also the persecution of anyone questioning or offering any sort of criticism of the current climate - and how one should vote and think. From the US side, any sort of legitimate criticism of Obama - you were seen as potentially racist - if you voted Trump, you're a racist/sexist. Well what exactly lead to that in the first place?

At this point it is not hard to see this rather 'entitled' attitude on the left - see also Hillary supporters - 'it is her turn' - Really? On what grounds, just because she is a woman?

Again I am over simplifying but it is my theory - and this is carrying over also to Europe - the idea of sovereignty - protection of one's borders is demonised as racist.

Its not that a country decided to wake up and decide - 'today we are just going to do this now, because we feel like it' - events lead up to it.

-edit

[screencast]kJxeh_LTcOg[/screencast]


-edit2

Backlash of EU nationals in the UK

Last edited by Jeebizz; 01-26-2017 at 04:49 PM.
 
Old 01-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #40
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu
Posts: 5,742

Rep: Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126Reputation: 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
From the US side, any sort of legitimate criticism of Obama - you were seen as potentially racist - if you voted Trump, you're a racist/sexist. Well what exactly lead to that in the first place?
Probably the fact that so many people who were interviewed in the streets on these topics were racist or sexist.
 
Old 01-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #41
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
As others have observed, "political correctness" is simply a variant of thought-control or crowd-control. If you don't limit yourself to "what offends no one," you're ostracized and pressured to shut up. Of course that winds up meaning that you can't say or do anything at all, because I'll guarantee you that anything you say will offend someone. (And if you try not to say anything at all, that will surely "offend someone" too.)

You have the right to criticize any public official, no matter what gender or race etc. You're not being "--ist" to do such a thing. You have the right to speak, and you bear responsibility for what you say.

One would hope, but of course not assume, that your criticism is thoughtful and actually has merit, and that you're prepared to answer your own criticism and to accept criticism of it. Maybe you're just spewing-off your mouth on the Internet.
 
Old 01-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #42
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 19
Posts: 6,292
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152Reputation: 3152
Populism for Dummies.
 
Old 01-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #43
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
Probably the fact that so many people who were interviewed in the streets on these topics were racist or sexist.
All? I had my own legitimate criticisms of Obama - I was speaking to one of my colleagues at work one day about this, and have been unfortunately been branded as a racist, even though it was legitimate. I attacked the ACA(affordable care act) - because I ended up with a $900 monthly bill even though I was only making $15/hr - so I merely stated my dissatisfaction with Obama's policy, and I was immediately attacked as a racist! Based on what!? I just objected to the policy, so clearly I am not allowed to voice my own frustration? This there in lies the whole problem with the left, 'how dare you criticize us.'

Its their fault, they need to recognize that they have this 'holier than thou' attitude, and it does not help matters, and why we get a Trump in the White House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
As others have observed, "political correctness" is simply a variant of thought-control or crowd-control. If you don't limit yourself to "what offends no one," you're ostracized and pressured to shut up. Of course that winds up meaning that you can't say or do anything at all, because I'll guarantee you that anything you say will offend someone. (And if you try not to say anything at all, that will surely "offend someone" too.)

You have the right to criticize any public official, no matter what gender or race etc. You're not being "--ist" to do such a thing. You have the right to speak, and you bear responsibility for what you say.

One would hope, but of course not assume, that your criticism is thoughtful and actually has merit, and that you're prepared to answer your own criticism and to accept criticism of it. Maybe you're just spewing-off your mouth on the Internet.
I can understand not being purposefully offensive, and being distasteful, but I do feel that things have gone a bit too far, and I am not the only one...

Jerry Seinfeld's take on PC

When you have even Seinfeld refusing to do shows at a University - that tells you something, and yes it is a form of thought control. When does one have to now walk on eggshells, just because now he/she needs to make sure of not offending someone, because someone will always be offended anyways. How this ties to politics? Well because even the media and politicians have jumped aboard, and there are those who are tired of it, rightfully so.

-edit

Again, George Carlin describes it perfectly:

[screencast]hkhUivqzWv0[/screencast]

I wish he were still alive

Last edited by Jeebizz; 01-27-2017 at 11:15 PM.
 
Old 01-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #44
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
This again is where Bill Maher has it right. Last night's episode of Real Time.

[screencast]JaC1-U8LIY0[/screencast]
 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #45
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ml#post5660739
Well, at least here in the US, it has always been ... ambiguous ... just what "immigration" actually means.

A long time ago, it meant, "huddled masses yearning to breathe free." It meant "Ellis Island." It meant: a pathway to "becoming a naturalized citizen."

But, here, it doesn't mean that, anymore.

Today, it means: (just call it what it is ...) Indentured Servitude.

. . . yes, "in direct violation of the 13th Amendment." But it makes gobs of money for Facebook, so who cares.

The truth of the matter is that now several million people find themselves "among 17 other people sleeping in sleeping-bags in a two-room apartment in an otherwise-tony suburb of Nashville, Tennessee," until the bus comes by ... [i](they don't have a car) ... to take them to their place of work. Where they will exist for 2/4/6 years until their visa runs out and they're tossed back to Bangladesh where they came from.

Trouble is, "Mister Donald Trump" used these people, and his companies to this day benefit from their exploitation. Therefore, is meaningful reform likely? I doubt.

Likewise, I daresay you find an analogous situation: "Why were all of these people brought here?" Very simply: to kick natives out of their jobs.

Blunt ... unpleasant ... not exactly politically-correct ... but ... ... true.

Yeah, "it's not the face of capitalism that we prefer to think about."

The euphemisms abound ... perhaps to explain why not a single member of "the best and the brightest™" exists – or could possibly exist – "anywhere in-between Maine and Hawaii." Or, why we call our slaves "guest workers" nowadays. And, so on and on and on and on and ...

In various ways, using various euphemisms appropriate to each various situation, "the capitalists conspired to screw us, and to screw our respective nations." And, to tell us all that "we just have to put up with it, because this is the New Normal.™"
A very keen observation - which I think belongs in this thread actually. I don't know if it is just narcissism though, but also a sense of delusion because they feel that whatever they do, it is all good and should never be challenged - well look at the result now. The only problem also is that they are so deep into this dysfunction (they in this case the democrats in the US) - outright refuse any self-reflection, and won't listen to anyone who offers advice, let alone take a serious look as to WHY we ended up with Trump. Nope, it is still Russia - or something else - never their fault. Ok fine, if they keep along this line, I don't see how we won't have another 4 years of republican rule. I almost at this point would be tempted just to outright vote republican to keep these people out, as sick as that sounds, but unfortunately this is US politics. Cooler heads do not prevail. Democrats are now obstructing on the bases because its Trump - but not offering anything substantial to their policies, which is ironically as republican friendly as ever... Again, Jimmy Dore has it correct on that too - and he is attacked as divisive, and I am sure die-hard Obama fans will not listen to his criticism either, I guess because he is a racist or something:

[screencast]iUthEcMsTSs[/screencast]


I found this article on RT today:
Quote:
https://www.rt.com/news/375390-study...-religion-law/
40% of refugees in Austria put religion above law – study

A new study from the Austrian Academy of Sciences shows that 40 percent of refugees in Austria believe religious commandments take precedence over the nation’s laws, prompting the country’s foreign minister to push for a rigorous new integration package.
So the die hard left would probably view that as unnecessary restrictions - however this should be common sense. When you are going into a different country, it stands to reason that you simply cannot disregard said laws because your own culture/religion conflicts with this - this is basic sovereignty of a country - however to the left such measures would be seen as somehow 'culturally insensitive' and 'racist.'

Last edited by Jeebizz; 01-28-2017 at 12:06 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[US-Politics] This has gone way too far ... sundialsvcs General 25 01-21-2017 08:57 PM
[World-US-Politics] Obama commutes Chelsea Manning sentence Jeebizz General 17 01-21-2017 06:11 PM
A rather intriguing and, I think, rather disturbing thought on American (World?) politics sundialsvcs General 9 03-30-2016 07:57 AM
politics mepisismydistro General 1 08-20-2007 01:37 AM
politics gordonb007 General 22 03-01-2004 04:03 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration