LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #211
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187

Go ahead.

Stop calling it "capitalism."

Just call it: "pure greed."
 
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #212
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
styxhexenhammer666 - Centrism Collapses in Sweden as Swedish Democrats Rise to First Place
Quote:
Published on Mar 27, 2017

The collapse of centrism: http://archive.is/WJgWv
This is a very interesting break-down of the current situation as a whole. tl;dw - there is now going to be a rise of very far left and far right movements - centrists have no more power - the EU will inevitably tear itself apart.
 
Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #213
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,325
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
I seriously doubt that "established foreigners in these countries that will also likely bear the brunt of itĒ. The problem isnít foreigners in general, but rather specific foreigners - and I believe most people know that. In most countries, the problematic foreigners are Muslims. In the U.S. the problematic foreigners are Muslims and Mexicans. Iím not saying that all Muslims or all Mexicans are bad - Iím just saying that theyíre not all good, and itís not worth letting in Mexicans or Muslims if some of them are bad - even if only 1% of them are bad, itís just not worth the risk.
I agree that some Muslims are creating serious problems, and the political correctness that prevents us from saying so isn't helping any of us. However, if you apply your 1% rule, we should ban all American tourists because everybody knows that some Americans go in for mass murder. Even if it's only 1%, why should we take the risk? Come to that, some English people are crooks. Better clear the English out of the country too!
 
Old 03-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #214
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
I agree that some Muslims are creating serious problems, and the political correctness that prevents us from saying so isn't helping any of us. However, if you apply your 1% rule, we should ban all American tourists because everybody knows that some Americans go in for mass murder. Even if it's only 1%, why should we take the risk? Come to that, some English people are crooks. Better clear the English out of the country too!
Alright. How about a religious test or even a political test for Muslims who intend to enter the U.S.?
 
Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #215
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
Alright. How about a religious test or even a political test for Muslims who intend to enter the U.S.?
I do not think we need to go to such extremes. The issue is simple, we just need to vet and not have an unlimited amount of refugees - counter to the "infinite wisdom" of Frau Merkel and co. The gentleman's video that I linked to stated it correctly as well(styxhexenhammer) - yes majority are fleeing and have no intentions of trying to turn their new surroundings into the shithole they fled from, the problem is those who are infiltrating these groups in the first place. Keep your religion and culture is fine, so long as you assimilate into your new surroundings, and I truly hope that I am not wrong in believing that the vast majority do NOT want to impose some form of Sharia law, nor should the state that is offering sanctuary should allow it. The state in question does have to put a firm foot down with some conditions:
  • You are subject to OUR laws
  • You are free to practice your religion
  • You are not to impose your views/religion on the native population
  • Sharia Law is NOT compatible, and cannot be implemented along side our legal system

About the last point - it is true that dietary rules are technically part of Sharia - i.e. not consuming pork meat and drinking alcohol, and that is all well and fine - but any legal matters should only be handled by the state in question, NOT a 'Sharia counsel.'

This has to be common sense and it is, it is NOT form of bigotry. It is on a very simple premise - I invite you to my home, you do have the right to be comfortable BUT at the same time you are in MY home, so - there are some obvious rules like - don't trash my home, do not try to change my own surroundings to fit yours, etc.
 
Old 03-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #216
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
In most countries, the problematic foreigners are Muslims. In the U.S. the problematic foreigners are Muslims and Mexicans. I’m not saying that all Muslims or all Mexicans are bad - I’m just saying that they’re not all good, and it’s not worth letting in Mexicans or Muslims if some of them are bad - even if only 1% of them are bad, it’s just not worth the risk.
Whereas, I must flatly disagree with you. You have fallen victim to the fallacy that "<<the set of all bad-guys>> is, ex minimis, <<a subset of all READILY_IDENTIFIABLE_ETHNIC_TYPE >>."

If only it were that easy.

This is, in fact, a variation of what Bruce Schneier (a renowned crypto expert) called "security theater."

"Identifying the person, today, who's gonna blow up a building tomorrow," is hard. But, "identifying a <<Muslim | Mexican | Italian | person from Yemen ... >>" is easy. Therefore, let's substitute the problem that we can't solve, for one that we can. Let's just go for the easy: "pin the tail on the donkey," then shoot the donkey. Clap yourself on the back for having accomplished something of value. The public is now supposed to walk out of our theater, somehow feeling "safer than before."

Alas, "the President of the United States(!) fell for it(!!), too!"

Trouble is: he "problematic people" in any country are not(!!) necessarily "foreigners!" Evil lurks in the heart of [all ...] men.

If "bad guys" always "wore black hats," our problems would be over.

- - - - -

Personally, I cannot stand how many of these foreigners are treated deliberately exploited. Mexican people and their families are brought into the US, but purposely denied(!) what was once required of everyone who passed through Ellis Island: citizenship. The same is true of millions(!) of present-day IT workers who find themselves "indentured servants" (or worse ...) under "non-" (read: "forever-a-non-") immigrant visas.

Quite frankly, I feel that "<<immigrants>> are a Security Threat" is also very much a tired old slide-show from a misbegotten former era ... proffered to the public to distract them from how millions of "fellow human beings among us" are right now being treated.

"The Peculiar Institution™" is still right here among us. It has never died.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-28-2017 at 07:32 AM.
 
Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #217
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
... and, perhaps in the vein that "ROTFLMAO'ing at official absurdity is the very best thing to do," I give you the following hilarious parody of 'Duck and Cover'.

It was assembled by artful re-editing of the original Civil Defense film and its narration.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-28-2017 at 07:35 AM.
 
Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #218
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Paul Joseph Watson - POPULISM IS THE NEW PUNK
 
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #219
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Whereas, I must flatly disagree with you. You have fallen victim to the fallacy that "<<the set of all bad-guys>> is, ex minimis, <<a subset of all READILY_IDENTIFIABLE_ETHNIC_TYPE >>."

If only it were that easy.

This is, in fact, a variation of what Bruce Schneier (a renowned crypto expert) called "security theater."

"Identifying the person, today, who's gonna blow up a building tomorrow," is hard. But, "identifying a <<Muslim | Mexican | Italian | person from Yemen ... >>" is easy. Therefore, let's substitute the problem that we can't solve, for one that we can. Let's just go for the easy: "pin the tail on the donkey," then shoot the donkey. Clap yourself on the back for having accomplished something of value. The public is now supposed to walk out of our theater, somehow feeling "safer than before."

Alas, "the President of the United States(!) fell for it(!!), too!"

Trouble is: he "problematic people" in any country are not(!!) necessarily "foreigners!" Evil lurks in the heart of [all ...] men.

If "bad guys" always "wore black hats," our problems would be over.

- - - - -

Personally, I cannot stand how many of these foreigners are treated deliberately exploited. Mexican people and their families are brought into the US, but purposely denied(!) what was once required of everyone who passed through Ellis Island: citizenship. The same is true of millions(!) of present-day IT workers who find themselves "indentured servants" (or worse ...) under "non-" (read: "forever-a-non-") immigrant visas.

Quite frankly, I feel that "<<immigrants>> are a Security Threat" is also very much a tired old slide-show from a misbegotten former era ... proffered to the public to distract them from how millions of "fellow human beings among us" are right now being treated.

"The Peculiar Institutionô" is still right here among us. It has never died.
Iím not saying that Muslims are the only terrorists. Iím just saying that Muslims make up the majority of terrorists.

Do you know why?

Itís because their holy book, the Koran, requires that they convert non-Muslims - and if that fails, to kill non-Muslims. Some of them take that seriously, and those are the ones we need to watch out for.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #220
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
I’m not saying that Muslims are the only terrorists. I’m just saying that Muslims make up the majority of terrorists.

Do you know why?

It’s because their holy book, the Koran, requires that they convert non-Muslims - and if that fails, to kill non-Muslims. Some of them take that seriously, and those are the ones we need to watch out for.
Actually, so does the Hebrew/Christian Bible! As you can easily find on sites such as Violence and Cruelty in the First 4 Books of the Bible.

But, a psychopath usually does not need religious justification.

The people who practice the religion of Islam read all sorts of things in their holy books, just as Jews and Christians do (if they actually sit down and read the thing ...), but when it comes down to how they live their own lives, that's a personal decision. In real life, they don't indulge in jihad.

As Sting put it in his song, The Russians, "they love their children, too."

I'll repeat my assertion that this is "security theater." The people who set off the bomb in Oklahoma City were white American men. There is no association between any(!) ethnic group and acts of senseless violence, such that you actually "protect yourself" by excluding them. It just feels good – it looks like you are "doing something." But, it is a false sense of security, and "a false sense of security" is quite dangerous.

President Trump basically got sucked into the notion that by excluding "everyone" from specific regions of the world, he was "protecting America." If only it were that easy!

Providing actual protection against violent criminals takes stealth, watchfulness, coordination, and utter secrecy. One of the best strategies is to elicit "ten thousand eyes," by telling ordinary people: "If you See Something, Say Something.™" A criminal act – especially an act of terrorism – requires extensive preparations, and usually somebody out there will notice that something seems suspicious. Law-enforcement officers, operating in secret, seek to assimilate that information and to interdict the events before they occur. The vast number of "tips" lead nowhere ... but then, there is the one ...

Naturally, we don't know how often they successfully do this. The criminals must not know that they are being observed, and they must not know all the ways that they can be observed. This kind of crime prevention happens all the time – in secrecy. You are not conscious of the fact that you are being protected by some very, very brave people. You (erroneously) assume instead that there is no danger present. (They're that good.)

We only hear about the capers that succeed. We hear nothing about the ones that were nullified. This is by design.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-28-2017 at 08:34 AM.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #221
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Actually, so does the Hebrew/Christian Bible! As you can easily find on sites such as Violence and Cruelty in the First 4 Books of the Bible.

But, a psychopath usually does not need religious justification.

The people who practice the religion of Islam read all sorts of things in their holy books, just as Jews and Christians do (if they actually sit down and read the thing ...), but when it comes down to how they live their own lives, that's a personal decision. In real life, they don't indulge in jihad.

As Sting put it in his song, The Russians, "they love their children, too."

I'll repeat my assertion that this is "security theater." The people who set off the bomb in Oklahoma City were white American men. There is no association between any(!) ethnic group and acts of senseless violence, such that you actually "protect yourself" by excluding them. It just feels good – it looks like you are "doing something." But, it is a false sense of security, and "a false sense of security" is quite dangerous.

President Trump basically got sucked into the notion that by excluding "everyone" from specific regions of the world, he was "protecting America." If only it were that easy!

Providing actual protection against violent criminals takes stealth, watchfulness, coordination, and utter secrecy. One of the best strategies is to elicit "ten thousand eyes," by telling ordinary people: "If you See Something, Say Something.™" A criminal act – especially an act of terrorism – requires extensive preparations, and usually somebody out there will notice that something seems suspicious. Law-enforcement officers, operating in secret, seek to assimilate that information and to interdict the events before they occur. The vast number of "tips" lead nowhere ... but then, there is the one ...

Naturally, we don't know how often they successfully do this. The criminals must not know that they are being observed, and they must not know all the ways that they can be observed. This kind of crime prevention happens all the time – in secrecy. You are not conscious of the fact that you are being protected by some very, very brave people. You (erroneously) assume instead that there is no danger present. (They're that good.)

We only hear about the capers that succeed. We hear nothing about the ones that were nullified. This is by design.
Yes, but Christians don’t take that literally anymore. Some Muslims, on other hand, still take it literally. Christianity, more specifically Catholicism, had its time of violence (i.e burning at the stake) during the dark ages. But Christianity underwent a time of reform. Islam has always been violent, and has not yet undergone a time of reform. Are you aware of Sharia law? It requires that adulterers, fornicators, and homosexuals be killed. It also gives women zero rights.

Yes, I realize the Unabomber, Columbine shooters, and Oklahoma City terrorists were Americans. They comprise a small percentage of the terrorists.

Have you seen the terrorism and violence occurring in Germany and the UK - countries which have recently allowed large numbers of Muslim immigrants?

Last edited by Mr. Macintosh; 03-28-2017 at 09:28 AM.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #222
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
Yes, but Christians don’t take that literally anymore. Some Muslims, on other hand, still take it literally. Christianity, more specifically Catholicism, had its time of violence (i.e burning at the stake) during the dark ages. But Christianity underwent a time of reform. Islam has always been violent, and has not yet undergone a time of reform. Are you aware of Sharia law? It requires that adulterers, fornicators, and homosexuals be killed. It also gives women zero rights.

Yes, I realize the Unabomber, Columbine shooters, and Oklahoma City terrorists were Americans. They comprise a small percentage of the terrorists.

Have you seen the terrorism and violence occurring in Germany and the UK - countries which have recently allowed large numbers of Muslim immigrants?
"Mac," you are still typecasting people in the name of security. (And, typecasting "Muslims" as extremist people who believe that everyone should literally have their hands cut off for stealing.) It's just not that simple. But, "an appeal to the simple," in the face of what is otherwise an extremely complex problem involving psychopaths, has a strong draw.

A criminal element can occur anywhere. How shocked were the neighbors of the kid in Chattanooga, Tennessee – almost my home town – who shot-up a Marine recruiting station before being killed by the police? They lived next door to this madman! But did they know? No, they didn't. They couldn't.

That's why I described "a false sense of security" as being "dangerous." You are very strongly tempted by "the easy." You want to do something simple and believe that you have solved thereby turned a "hard" ("intractable" ...) problem into an "easy" problem. Having done so, you let down your guard. You want results. You imagine that you have them. You look at a real-time web site that tells you how many "people from Yemen" have been turned away at the US Border, and you say to yourself, "oh, what a good boy am I!"

Meanwhile (guess this isn't your lucky day, after all ...) a perfectly ordinary car parks next to you, and a perfectly ordinary white American gets out of it and walks away, quickly descending a nearby set of stairs. Guess what: you have one minute to live.

Why are you going to die? Merely because you were standing at the wrong place at the wrong time. Who said that life death was fair?

I don't want to see government agencies – let alone the Chief Executive, himself – "going for 'the easy." (Even if the Congress expressly authorized him to do so, as they did.) That sort of thing is going to take away time, money, and attention from the hard(!) problem of "national security," and it will soothe people with the notion that such things are "easy." That's the danger.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-28-2017 at 02:30 PM.
 
Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #223
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Ok, lets back off a bit on that topic and turn our attention to Scotland - push for Scottish Independence, if successful could also rejoin the EU and the inevitable breakup of the UK in the process:


Quote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39422747

Scottish Parliament backs referendum call

Nicola Sturgeon's call for a second referendum on independence for Scotland has been formally backed by the Scottish Parliament.

Quote:
https://www.rt.com/uk/382577-scottis...-independence/

Scottish Parliament backs Nicola Sturgeon’s demand for second independence referendum

The Scottish Parliament has voted to back Nicola Sturgeon’s request to seek new powers from London in order to trigger a second independence referendum.

The motion passed thanks to the Scottish Greens' support, and despite Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives expressing opposition to what they called another “divisive” referendum campaign.
 
Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #224
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,325
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113
The legal position is that Sturgeon can call a referendum if she likes but its result won't be binding on anyone unless the British government and the UK parliament have previously declared it to be so. And that's not going to happen while we are in the middle of EU negotiations.
I suspect that what she actually wants is to have a non-binding referendum precisely so that Westminster can ignore it. Then she can say that we're thwarting the will of the Scottish People, and get her stalled independence movement going again.
 
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #225
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Post Atricle 50 triggered

Quote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39431428

'No turning back' on Brexit as Article 50 triggered

Britain's departure from the European Union is an "historic moment from which there can be no turning back", Theresa May has told MPs.
http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-39424391
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h..._article50.pdf


Quote:
https://www.rt.com/uk/382674-brexit-...rs-article-50/

Britain formally triggers Article 50 to leave the EU

Forty-four years after joining the European Economic Community, the forerunner of the modern day EU, Britain has triggered Article 50 to begin formal divorce talks with the bloc.

Appearing at the House of Commons despatch box for the regular weekly session of Prime Ministerís Questions (PMQs), Prime Minister Theresa May made a statement to MPs confirming the start of the two-year extraction process.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[US-Politics] This has gone way too far ... sundialsvcs General 25 01-21-2017 08:57 PM
[World-US-Politics] Obama commutes Chelsea Manning sentence Jeebizz General 17 01-21-2017 06:11 PM
A rather intriguing and, I think, rather disturbing thought on American (World?) politics sundialsvcs General 9 03-30-2016 07:57 AM
politics mepisismydistro General 1 08-20-2007 01:37 AM
politics gordonb007 General 22 03-01-2004 04:03 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration