LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #196
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
I too voted leave, but I wouldn't have voted for The Donald had I been a USian. Brexit wasn't anything to do with "rejecting the establishment": the out campaign was led by established politicians. The problem was (1) immigration ó England is the most densely populated country in Europe, which is why our housing is so expensive ó and (2) the fact that too many laws are passed at the EU level, rather that locally, as the east Europeans also complain.

I think that both the UK and the US populations are getting the feeling that globalisation is run for the benefit of multinational corporations rather than ordinary people, and they're correct. Whether voting for the GOP and a cabinet of billionaire businessmen was the solution, I doubt!

Even the phrase "far right" can be misleading. Marine Le Pen does not share the ideas of the Alt-Right in the US. She is opposed to globalisation, supportive of government intervention, and committed to secularism.
If you were an American, or as you say ďUSianĒ who would you have voted for?
 
Old 03-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #197
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
That is exactly what I am trying to point towards. It is strange also because I never considered myself to be on the left or the right, I have always tried to just be 'in the middle' as much as possible, but maybe I am going about things all wrong I do not know. Again from what I can discern here is that there are glaring contradictions here - and the 'political correctness' movement has become something of a nuisance - also the 'Antifa' movement has pretty much become the very thing it opposes - because it is not hard to find videos on Youtube of these groups acting how an actual fascist would act in the first place.

Also I find myself just checking out more views that would be considered somehow 'right-wing' on youtube, Sargon of Akkad, Stepfan Molyneux - I don't agree with 100% of what they say, but of the tidbits that they do send out to me sounds actually rather logical. I am not against something like immigration, nor am I against rights or being offensive just for the sake of being offensive, I just do feel however there should be controls on immigration - what I do feel these folks point out is that these 'social warrior' groups have a dangerous mob mentality and a sort of 'me me me' culture, well actually I didn't even NEED to listen to Mr. Molyneux or any other youtuber for that.

This also stems from education - which I also feel rather disheartened - the sort of 'sugar' coating of things - and there does seem to be very prevalent in the universities across the board. Hell, thats why you now see even comedians outright REFUSING to even play at any sort of university - I wish Mr. Carlin were alive as well today.



What I am still curious is that when you voted to leave - if you had to 'justify' your vote to anyone. That is pretty much the crux for me and what I see here in the states still. People with banners denouncing anyone who voted Trump - well then, how is that a democracy if one has to justify their vote, or even before one votes - if you said something like 'yes I want to vote to leave the EU' - you might face violence. Well then, if thats the case - clearly who has that sort of mentality is obviously undemocratic - and are ascribing to the very thing that they claim to oppose. You had your own reasons to vote to leave the EU - now why the hell should you have to justify your own vote to anyone, let alone say a family member or friend who would have voted to stay. I am not saying you personally may have had to - but as I stated before particularly here in the states, that is pretty much the case.

I must admit also that I had already assumed that Clinton would have won at first - and yes I was surprised that Trump ended up winning - but now I can understand why - however if you see the democrats now - and I have been following them just to see how dumb they are - clearly they refuse to acknowledge the reality of the situation that they are in. Russia is still thrown around - never mind that even before the end of the elections - those in the democratic party stated that there was no way the elections could have been hacked. Even now, the democrats REFUSE to take a hard long look at themselves and address WHY they lost. Clinton's remark about Trump supporters being 'deplorable' may have been the last straw, and the die hard Clintonites and those even ranging in the entertainment industry are clearly out of touch, AND yes very condescending.



No it does not work - and the main fault of this also is due to the corporations that also have a stranglehold on power. NAFTA and the TPP are great for them because it is a form of exploitation that is pretty much legalised. Farmers in the US are discouraged to grow and produce a certain crop - and are paid NOT to produce said crop - because that would mean another country part of the free trade deal would not be able to sell their crop to the US.



Interesting, and again I do not want you to think that you have to justify your vote to me and then again, maybe I am looking into this sort of thing too much and probably nobody has berated you for voting to leave. I guess it is mostly here in the US that anyone who voted for Trump now have to justify themselves in the eyes of those who were against Trump. As far as Le Pen, she is clearly painted by the media let alone here in the US, that she is this far right figure.

Going back now to the whole PC thing - it pretty much is a ruse - one does not have any sort of argument when hiding behind that sort of thing - and I have also been looking into this Mr. Yiannopoulos as well, and quite frankly at this point he is also unfairly demonised - been called everything form a racist, to perhaps even a homophobe ironically enough since he is apparently gay - but he easily puts these kinds of 'social warriors' in their place - because they DON'T have any sort of way to defend their views, and clearly that tactic no longer works, kindly watch this or just skip to 23min into the video:

[screencast]lmY1oFiJca8[/screencast]


-edit

"Trump executive order pulls out of TPP trade deal - President Donald Trump has fulfilled a campaign pledge by signing an executive order to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38721056

[screencast]6hL3UMhvIIA[/screencast]
Another YouTube channel I think you might like is Computing Forever. Well, it started out about technology, but it transitioned to being 50% technology and 50% politics, and now itís mostly politics.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #198
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
Another YouTube channel I think you might like is Computing Forever. Well, it started out about technology, but it transitioned to being 50% technology and 50% politics, and now it’s mostly politics.
I have already posted links from Computing Forever - see my recent post in my other thread about the MSM.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #199
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
I have already posted links from Computing Forever - see my recent post in my other thread about the MSM.
Sorry. I didnít see that earlier. I didnít even notice that thread.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #200
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Exclamation UK Attacks

Well I do not want to make another thread, and I feel it is relevant here anyways:

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-39355505
https://www.rt.com/uk/381845-first-p...ttack-suspect/

How does this relate to populism you may ask? Well I would not be surprised at this point that there could be an inevitable backlash to anyone foreign regardless how long they even been in said country. You first have the recent issue in the states with 2 illegals raping a girl in a high school, now this. Considering that things have become so tense I am quite surprised that there has not been a major backlash - but I fear it will happen and it will be very bad.

I feel sorry for the established foreigners in these countries that will also likely bear the brunt of it, and this will have the potential to drive people further to the right and worse.

-edit

Live coverage(RT)

Last edited by Jeebizz; 03-22-2017 at 01:06 PM.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #201
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Well, personally, I am not ready to assume that real people will ever actually de-evolve into "racial hatred," even though the media is certainly flailing us right now with "Chicken Little scenarios" to that effect.

In fact, I would go so far as to caution that all of should soberly remember that: "these are people."

Now, there are two kinds of "people": there are scoundrels, and there are "the rest of us." The scoundrels will be scoundrels, no matter where on Earth they came from. (The people who are said to have blown-up a building in Oklahoma City seemed to be "red-blooded Americans.")

This, incidentally, is the fallacy behind the notion that "I was born in Yemen" == "the Mark of Cain." This fallacy creates "security theater," which actually provides no protection at all, even though it makes great headlines. ("If only it were actually that simple ... Why, if it actually were, then it would be no problem at all!")

Within our societies, more or less throughout the world, we have three groups of people:
  • Citizens. ('Nuff said.)
  • Two groups who are either "indentured servants" or simply "slaves":
    • Slaves: People who are brought(!!) into the country, illegally, so that they will do menial work such as agricultural harvesting, without complaining about anything for fear of being arrested and deported.
    • Indentured Servants: People who are brought into the country legally but under "non-immigrant visas." They are bound to a single employer and cannot leave – in direct violation of the 13th Amendment.
Yeah, "reality sux," when you dare to use plain language to describe it, but it is not exactly "unprecedented."

The situation, in real life, is much more intricate than "the news stories" let them out to be. However, I think that "the general public" is also far more worldly and pragmatic than they are usually given credit for. Although it sells newspapers to say that "the sky is falling," this is generally well-understood to be the case. I personally do not believe that we will ever see any sort of "backlash."

If you look hard enough, you can always find "a yahoo" someplace. But, to then stereotype everyone that you see as "similarly, 'a yahoo,'" and then to write a titillating news (sic ...) story to that effect is ...

... is ...

... is ... well ...

"journalism."

- - -

Go ahead: "trust humanity." The sky is still up there. Most of us were not born yesterday. Even if we buy newspapers, and watch television, we do not automatically nor necessarily believe(!) them!

... "thank gawd ..."

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.
 
Old 03-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #202
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Well this is interesting about assimilation.

styxhexenhammer666 - You Can't Really Blame Foreigners for Not Assimilating in Parts of Europe
Quote:
Published on Mar 25, 2017

I wouldn't respect their self destructive "cultures" either.
 
Old 03-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #203
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,325
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113
I remember how angry my mother always was about immigrants not assimilating, because all the Jewish refugees of her generation were willing to do just that.
 
Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #204
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
I remember how angry my mother always was about immigrants not assimilating, because all the Jewish refugees of her generation were willing to do just that.
Well as the gentleman in the video pointed out, when you have a state where it does not put any emphasis on assimilation, then refugees/migrants coming into Europe see no consequences for not assimilating, and the problem is two-fold - the increase of anti-immigrant sentiment, but also the punishment of anyone who wants to enforce assimilation as 'bigoted.' His example about the UK and mandatory assimilation of Indians during the 19th and 20th century covers that, but what you see in the EU and particularly through the edicts of Merkel, all of that has gone by the way-side, and anyone challenging that is persecuted, journalists are not allowed to report about crimes committed by immigrants and only allowed to show how humanitarian the state is. That is very dangerous.
 
Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #205
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
If you lived in Slobbovia and you had the chance to move to London and there to avail yourself of the fat of this rich land ... wouldn't you jump at the chance and tell all your neighbors to do the same?

Capitalists wanted this treaty provision for exactly one reason: to gain access to a pool of "cheaper labor." There's nothing new about this, except for the notion of emasculating a nation's immigration-control prerogatives. (America invited "huddled masses" to its "teeming shores" ... but only by way of Ellis Island.)

This has nothing proper to do with a "European Trade Union," if that's actually all that it was to be. However, it isn't.

The EU treaty sought to create a "United States of Europe," with a Federal government in "Brussels, DC," which would reduce England to being – say, Kansas. All of them chained tightly together, and then tossed overboard into the sea.
 
Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #206
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Capitalists wanted this treaty provision for exactly one reason: to gain access to a pool of "cheaper labor." There's nothing new about this, except for the notion of emasculating a nation's immigration-control prerogatives. (America invited "huddled masses" to its "teeming shores" ... but only by way of Ellis Island.)
That is all well in good - but the difference here it seems that the EU is a post-national entity and in that sense sovereignty is severely hampered, because you are in a union - hence less or no borders, (Schengen Agreement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
This has nothing proper to do with a "European Trade Union," if that's actually all that it was to be. However, it isn't.

The EU treaty sought to create a "United States of Europe," with a Federal government in "Brussels, DC," which would reduce England to being Ė say, Kansas. All of them chained tightly together, and then tossed overboard into the sea.
I agree with your conclusion - perhaps the idea of the EU was a noble one, but the reality is quite different - then again that is the problem with political theory, or any theory in that matter - reality often never matches what is on paper.

I also ran across something interesting because I never heard of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneuropean_Union - or AKA 'The Kalergi Plan' : .. sorry.... *ducks*

styxhexenhammer666 - Regarding the Kalergi Plan, the European Union, and Globalism
Quote:
Published on Mar 26, 2017

A 75% true "conspiracy" theory.
 
Old 03-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #207
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
If you lived in Slobbovia and you had the chance to move to London and there to avail yourself of the fat of this rich land ... wouldn't you jump at the chance and tell all your neighbors to do the same?

Capitalists wanted this treaty provision for exactly one reason: to gain access to a pool of "cheaper labor." There's nothing new about this, except for the notion of emasculating a nation's immigration-control prerogatives. (America invited "huddled masses" to its "teeming shores" ... but only by way of Ellis Island.)

This has nothing proper to do with a "European Trade Union," if that's actually all that it was to be. However, it isn't.

The EU treaty sought to create a "United States of Europe," with a Federal government in "Brussels, DC," which would reduce England to being Ė say, Kansas. All of them chained tightly together, and then tossed overboard into the sea.
While I agree, I must point out that the problem is not capitalism. The problem is extreme capitalism, capitalism without restraint. Capitalism, when properly restrained, can be a wonderful thing. But yes, it can be very bad if unrestrained. A great example of this would be factories before the federal government started regulating them. And letís not forget the meat packing industry, and the resulting exposť: The Jungle.
 
Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #208
Mr. Macintosh
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
Well I do not want to make another thread, and I feel it is relevant here anyways:

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-39355505
https://www.rt.com/uk/381845-first-p...ttack-suspect/

How does this relate to populism you may ask? Well I would not be surprised at this point that there could be an inevitable backlash to anyone foreign regardless how long they even been in said country. You first have the recent issue in the states with 2 illegals raping a girl in a high school, now this. Considering that things have become so tense I am quite surprised that there has not been a major backlash - but I fear it will happen and it will be very bad.

I feel sorry for the established foreigners in these countries that will also likely bear the brunt of it, and this will have the potential to drive people further to the right and worse.

-edit

Live coverage(RT)
I seriously doubt that "established foreigners in these countries that will also likely bear the brunt of it”. The problem isn’t foreigners in general, but rather specific foreigners - and I believe most people know that. In most countries, the problematic foreigners are Muslims. In the U.S. the problematic foreigners are Muslims and Mexicans. I’m not saying that all Muslims or all Mexicans are bad - I’m just saying that they’re not all good, and it’s not worth letting in Mexicans or Muslims if some of them are bad - even if only 1% of them are bad, it’s just not worth the risk.

"Being a compassionate, empathetic human is a good thing, but not at our own expense. Just ask the Europeans."
https://townhall.com/notebook/pamjab...urope-n2303462

Last edited by Mr. Macintosh; 03-26-2017 at 06:29 PM.
 
Old 03-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #209
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
While I agree, I must point out that the problem is not capitalism. The problem is extreme capitalism, capitalism without restraint. Capitalism, when properly restrained, can be a wonderful thing. But yes, it can be very bad if unrestrained. A great example of this would be factories before the federal government started regulating them. And letís not forget the meat packing industry, and the resulting exposť: The Jungle.
What you are describing is essentially called 'Predatory Capitalism.' It is basically what we have here in the USA, it is not a free market but monopolies of corporations that are trying to control everything. Combined that with a globalist mindset - trade deals that screws over the population and you have a very toxic world order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
I seriously doubt that "established foreigners in these countries that will also likely bear the brunt of itĒ. The problem isnít foreigners in general, but rather specific foreigners - and I believe most people know that. In most countries, the problematic foreigners are Muslims. In the U.S. the problematic foreigners are Muslims and Mexicans. Iím not saying that all Muslims or all Mexicans are bad - Iím just saying that theyíre not all good, and itís not worth letting in Mexicans or Muslims if some of them are bad - even if only 1% of them are bad, itís just not worth the risk.

"Being a compassionate, empathetic human is a good thing, but not at our own expense. Just ask the Europeans."
https://townhall.com/notebook/pamjab...urope-n2303462
All correct - the problem is mostly turning a blind eye to the problem and outright silencing those who speak out, and it will not matter if there has been people of foreign origin who have established themselves, and effectively assimilated into their new adoptive country - they will be just as much of a target.
 
Old 03-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #210
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Computing Forever - Ireland Begins Surrendering its Freedoms
Quote:
Published on Mar 26, 2017

It's begun, videos are being demonetized...without actually being officially demonetized. The ad purge means that you will begin seeing MUCH less ads on videos you watch. The green monetization icon is showing up but no ads are displayed most of the time.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[US-Politics] This has gone way too far ... sundialsvcs General 25 01-21-2017 08:57 PM
[World-US-Politics] Obama commutes Chelsea Manning sentence Jeebizz General 17 01-21-2017 06:11 PM
A rather intriguing and, I think, rather disturbing thought on American (World?) politics sundialsvcs General 9 03-30-2016 07:57 AM
politics mepisismydistro General 1 08-20-2007 01:37 AM
politics gordonb007 General 22 03-01-2004 04:03 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration