LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #151
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187

Quote:
Yes I did see that one, but that lady started to piss me off near the end and I wish Mr. Lavelle did just cut her off. As soon as it was stated that Trump was the president, and at this point you have to give him a chance - she goes full idiot and refuses any logical reasoning. Just like what I have mentioned in my other paragraph about Brexit - desperately wanting to turn back the results somehow. It is done, thats it accept it and she needs to actually offer some sort of REAL argument against Trump, but she did not - don't even give him a chance, kick him out by all means apparently. She offered no real value to the discussion in general.
Well, the host is a shrewd television journalist: I'm sure that he anticipated what this lady would do when given a microphone.

There are people out there who do feel and think and talk this way. Although it was hard to hear if she said this, I've heard many people say that we should "declare a state of emergency, suspend the Constitution(!), remove Trump and everyone he has put in place, and install a provisional government with a former President as President." And who would this "former President" be? Why, how did you guess? (And if not, maybe we can "appoint" his wife, so that we finally have the "Madame President" that, y'know, the American people were supposed to have picked all along.)

(No, I am absolutely serious. The intelligentsia doesn't give up easily.)

Personally, the only thing that I think will quell this nonsense is for Mr. Trump to start ... succeeding. His upcoming address to the Congress will be possibly the most-important speech he has yet made to anyone, because these are the people who must be persuaded(!) to make change happen. As I like to say, "to be persuaded to do what they do not want to do because they want to do it."

The Congress is the only entity that can actually implement change, and they are also the ones who passed the laws and ratified the treaties that got us into this mess in the first place. Many of those people have been in office for thirty years or more. Very few of them were removed from office during the last election. They see Presidents come and go. Does Trump possess the executive-leadership mojo needed to persuade them to change course?

When ordinary people start seeing jingle in their pockets ... when citizens apply for IT jobs and actually start getting hired again ... things will abruptly become very different and Trump will be riding an unprecedented wave of popularity. The public is extremely fickle. You can go from being a devil to being a god (and back again) in a very, very short time.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 02-27-2017 at 11:49 AM.
 
Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #152
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Well, the host is a shrewd television journalist: I'm sure that he anticipated what this lady would do when given a microphone.

There are people out there who do feel and think and talk this way. Although it was hard to hear if she said this, I've heard many people say that we should "declare a state of emergency, suspend the Constitution(!), remove Trump and everyone he has put in place, and install a provisional government with a former President as President." (No, I am absolutely serious.) And who would this "former President" be? Why, how did you guess?
So then basically democracy only suits these types of people when it goes their way, and if not lets roll the dice over and over again just like Blair and his views on Brexit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Personally, the only thing that I think will quell this nonsense is for Mr. Trump to start ... succeeding.
Yet again you have people like that lady and others who would just outright refuse and want Trump out of office because....reasons, none that I have actually seen are valid, just pathetic and whining because again, they did not get their way. Somebody really needs to grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
His upcoming address to the Congress will be possibly the most-important speech he has yet made to anyone. These are the people who must be persuaded(!) to make change happen. As I like to say, "to be persuaded to do what they do not want to do because they want to do it."
The problem is you still have those even in the Republican party that want nothing more than to just proverbially stick a knife in Trump's back because obviously he is shaking everything up, and yea I don't even have to mention the dems, or the media and now even the deepstate that is out to get him.
 
Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #153
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Redacted Tonight - WEB EXCLUSIVE: We're Facing A Deep State Coup And The Mainstream Media Is Cheering!
 
Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #154
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
RT - EU lawmakers vote to strip Le Pen of immunity for tweeting pictures of ISIS violence

Its these types of actions that will bolster the right, they only have themselves to blame when she does get elected. If Le Pen does actually win (and it is very possible), the EU is finished for sure.

Last edited by Jeebizz; 03-01-2017 at 12:00 PM.
 
Old 03-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #155
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
How can you "tweet" a picture?
 
Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #156
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 3,590

Rep: Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
How can you "tweet" a picture?
Posting photos or GIFs on Twitter.
 
Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #157
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
The Britisher - Geert Wilders: About the Dutch Elections

Quote:
A look at the upcoming Dutch general election and the chances of Geert Wilders' PVV Party - as of 1st March 2017.
 
Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #158
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,325
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Personally, the only thing that I think will quell this nonsense is for Mr. Trump to start ... succeeding. His upcoming address to the Congress will be possibly the most-important speech he has yet made to anyone, because these are the people who must be persuaded(!) to make change happen. As I like to say, "to be persuaded to do what they do not want to do because they want to do it."
Well, it turned out to be a surprisingly good one. Quite statesmanlike in fact. I must admit, I didn't think he had it in him.
 
Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #159
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Well as I keep saying over and over now in the other thread primarily dedicated to Trump, the Dems are lost. They have no real fight in them, and all they go by is 'Trump is evil'. Nobody is listening to that, and now that Trump has delivered a speech that even the MSM can't find fault they need to stop with the pure anti-Trump rhetoric. Trump shut most of them out of the WH press room for a good reason.

Meanwhile in the EU:


Quote:
https://www.rt.com/news/379163-lepen...ty-parliament/

Marine Le Pen loses EU parliament immunity over ISIS tweets


The European Parliament has revoked the immunity of France’s right-wing presidential candidate, Marine Le Pen, for posting graphic photos of Islamic State victims on Twitter.

The decision to lift immunity from Le Pen was taken by the majority of members in the plenary of the EU Parliament, Reuters reported.
 
Old 03-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #160
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
Well, it turned out to be a surprisingly good one. Quite statesmanlike in fact. I must admit, I didn't think he had it in him.
You don't get to be worth billions of dollars through real estate if you don't have the power to be persuasive when you want to be.
 
Old 03-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #161
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Computing Forever - Generation Z’s Social, Political & Technological Challenges

Basically Gen Z has been born into a tech world where sources of information are abundant. This provides them an alternate to traditional media, and due to the current climate from Gen X, Gen Z is swinging more to conservatism. There is more to that in the video, it is not long and offers some good insight as to also the potential shortcomings of Gen Z, because of their reliance on the net though, and because of the previous Gen X far left ideology Gen Z could be swinging to the very far right, which he also mentioned the swinging pendulum, due to PC

Also again back to Sweden, this is interesting:

Computing Forever - Sweden Officially Surrenders - or tl;dw, multiculturalism gone too far and is bringing Sweden down.
 
Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #162
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Secular Talk - Van Jones On College Safe Spaces - My only problem is where the hell was he on this earlier? This is going back to my perspective I have posted in this thread earlier, this PC safe-space culture is obnoxious - Van Jones now is saying this - gee liberals, maybe you should take a page from him now please....
 
Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #163
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187Reputation: 3187
Drilling past this video to the textual web-page to which he refers (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...pace-crusaders), I think we see the essential point without having to listen to a video:
Quote:
I think part of the problem goes back to the fact that we’ve been telling young people that they’re victims for pretty much their whole lives. If you convince everyone that they’re a victim, they’ll start acting like victims.

Victims are the last thing this society needs. [...] "[College] safe spaces" are simply assembly lines for creating future victims, and we’ve got more than enough of those.

No matter where you go in life, someone will be there to offend you. Maybe it’s a joke you overheard on vacation, a spat at the office, or a difference of opinion with someone in line at the grocery store. Inevitably, someone will offend you and your values. If you cannot handle that without losing control of your emotions and reverting back to your “safe space” away from the harmful words of others, then you’re best to just stay put at home. Remember, though: if people in the outside world scare you, people on the internet will downright terrify you. It’s probably best to just accept these harsh realities of life and go out into the world prepared to confront them wherever they may be waiting.
Which, when I was a kid, was expressed in a single sentence like this:
Quote:
"Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, but Words Will Never Harm Me."
I personally believe that the essential concept of "Political Correctness™" is simply this:
Quote:
"If it offends me, then it is (for some reason known only to me ...) your problem!"

"Why? Because I said so, and, It's All About Me™, remember?"
Fortunately, "Rhett Butler didn't think so."

While I generally agree that "as a matter of principle and practicality, one should not be an insufferable a*shole, especially in public say intentionally provocative things just to p*ss people off," at the same time one must pragmatically realize that, no matter what you say and/or do, "someone out there is gonna wind up being p*ssed off anyway ... and that person probably has a Facebook account ... and maybe some story-hungry reporter out there thinks that it might be a story."

However – the choice still remains yours: "Do you permit those 'words' to 'ever harm you,' or not?"

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-02-2017 at 07:20 PM.
 
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #164
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Exclamation Red pill overdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Drilling past this video to the textual web-page to which he refers (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...pace-crusaders), I think we see the essential point without having to listen to a video:


Which, when I was a kid, was expressed in a single sentence like this:


I personally believe that the essential concept of "Political Correctness™" is simply this:
Fortunately, "Rhett Butler didn't think so."

While I generally agree that "as a matter of principle and practicality, one should not be an insufferable a*shole, especially in public say intentionally provocative things just to p*ss people off," at the same time one must pragmatically realize that, no matter what you say and/or do, "someone out there is gonna wind up being p*ssed off anyway ... and that person probably has a Facebook account ... and maybe some story-hungry reporter out there thinks that it might be a story."

However – the choice still remains yours: "Do you permit those 'words' to 'ever harm you,' or not?"
A very well apt analysis. What I see in my view also that these are mostly millennials, not to say that there aren't some Gen Z but this also stems from the rather over protective Gen X (Gen X raising Gen Y in a bubble). Everything needs to be sanitised, except you cannot shield someone from life. Again I am part of the 'early' millennials I guess? Born in '82 , and per Wikipedia Millennials span from 1981-1997 , Gen Z though per Wikipedia

Quote:
Statistics Canada defines Generation Z as starting with the birth year 1993.[21] Statistics Canada does not recognize a traditional Millennials cohort and instead has Generation Z directly follow what it designates as Children of Baby boomers (born 1972–1992).[22]
So again, the video form Computing Forever is correct - Gen Z was born into this sort of climate and effectively rebelling against the norm of PC. I myself was lucky enough not to be trapped into this whole culture in the first place, and what he is able to take into account that Gen Z could go even further to the right which in term would give rise to yet another fascist type movement. Everything is completely out of balance, the pendulum is swinging too hard and fast and now it is going to the right.

Thing is how this relates to politics as well is again this is the root cause of the swing to the right. I don't necessarily like it, but I recognise the root cause, whereas those who are still following the PC path do not, quite the opposite are doubling down. I don't like that things are moving to the right, but at the same time I see this as necessary in at least as a slap in the face and a rude awakening, though I do not expect all those bleeding heart 'liberals' to wake up. Again, they should not even be allowed to use the term liberal anyways, there is nothing liberal about them. When debate is shutdown in the name of 'muh safe space and feelings' - that again is pretty much fascism with a pretty face.

If everyone is moving over to the right, or if there is a far right take over - well frankly, these intolerant-liberals have only themselves to blame. Their own insane policies these past years, have caused this reactionary move.
 
Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #165
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware14.2 64-Bit Desktop, Devuan 2.0 ASCII Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Posts: 3,166

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Sorry there is no summary on the page, but again I had to include this latest analysis from this gentleman, about Le Pen and all the fuss about a tweet...

The Britisher - Marine Le Pen faces Prosecution(Clever also mocking with the ticker. )

Last edited by Jeebizz; 03-02-2017 at 07:59 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[US-Politics] This has gone way too far ... sundialsvcs General 25 01-21-2017 08:57 PM
[World-US-Politics] Obama commutes Chelsea Manning sentence Jeebizz General 17 01-21-2017 06:11 PM
A rather intriguing and, I think, rather disturbing thought on American (World?) politics sundialsvcs General 9 03-30-2016 07:57 AM
politics mepisismydistro General 1 08-20-2007 01:37 AM
politics gordonb007 General 22 03-01-2004 04:03 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration