LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
ELPDave
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: El Paso TX
Distribution: Linux FC 5
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Video output blanks out then comes back on


Hi

I installed FC5 as a server on a Dell Dimension 2400 with 1GB RAM memory and
A 40 GB hard drive.

I am running FC5 in text mode - inittab = 3

My question is about the video output. I am using the integrated video card that came with the machine.

While booting up, I watch the video output stream by. A few times the whole display goes blank for a ½ second then comes on again. When I logon as root, the whole display does blank then comes back and shows I’ve logged on.

When I start a program – Iptables – for example, the cursor drops down one line after pressing return – but there is no video output from the program as it starts.

If I do nothing, the cursor will stay on the line below the command prompt indefinitely with no video output.

When I start another TTY with ALT+2, the whole screen goes blank and stays that way. When I go back to the first TTY with ALT+1, then I see the video output from the program start. The same happens when I start Bind.

But other commands like ls or ps show normal video ouput and response

Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

ELPDave

Last edited by ELPDave; 02-28-2007 at 11:19 AM.
 
Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
stress_junkie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 and CentOS 5.5
Posts: 3,873

Rep: Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELPDave
While booting up, I watch the video output stream by. A few times the whole display goes blank for a ½ second then comes on again.
That's normal. The monitor will go blank as the video card driver loads. This is due to the automatic synchronization of the monitor with the video card display settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELPDave
When I logon as root, the whole display does blank then comes back and shows I’ve logged on.
This is also normal. The login sequence is going to set your terminal characteristics from the termcap file. It could do any number of things like set the number of columns or the number of rows or the color of the foreground and background. These things are not done by default but the stty function is still used during the log in process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELPDave
When I start a program – Iptables – for example, the cursor drops down one line after pressing return – but there is no video output from the program as it starts.
If I do nothing, the cursor will stay on the line below the command prompt indefinitely with no video output.
This happens if you haven't put in enough parameters to create a complete command. It can also happen if you (accidentally) enter the continuation character "\" at the end of the line. This is definitely caused by operator error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELPDave
When I start another TTY with ALT+2, the whole screen goes blank and stays that way. When I go back to the first TTY with ALT+1, then I see the video output from the program start. The same happens when I start Bind.
I don't know about this.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KDE wont (Winxp/Suse )after I had go back to on board video due video card went bad rycedap General 1 02-16-2007 03:56 AM
Inuput from Video Card and output to S-Video jklanka Programming 3 09-12-2006 09:34 PM
Mplayer: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo) miceagol Linux - Software 2 06-04-2006 11:35 AM
video output armbrusterwb Linux - Newbie 11 01-26-2006 10:31 PM
2.6 kernel video blanks davidsrsb Slackware 11 12-20-2003 04:54 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration