LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
terry-duell
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Fedora 31 x86_64
Posts: 505

Rep: Reputation: 47
How to have a dir window/viewer open in multiple workpaces in F9?


Hullo All,
I have recently moved from F8 to F9 and one of the things that I miss from F8 was being able to have a directory window/viewer open in multiple workspaces.
I find that if I have a dir open in a workspace in F9, then move to a different workspace and try to open that dir I get switched back to the other workspace.
Is there a setting somewhere to achieve the F8 behaviour?

Cheers,
Terry
 
Old 10-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Simon Bridge
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
Quote:
a directory window/viewer open
I'm sorry - you have fedora directory server (LDAP) installed?

If you make the window sticky, it will shift workspaces with you. rt-click on the title bar and select "always on visible workspace".

Can you open two instances of this "dir window/viewer" in one workspace, then drag the extra one to another workspace?

Quote:
I find that if I have a dir open in a workspace in F9, then move to a different workspace and try to open that dir I get switched back to the other workspace.
I think I get you... you mean when you left click, say, your "home folder" icon on a second workspace, if the home directory is already displayed on another workspace you get shifted there?

Are you using gnome or kde.
In gnome - Open your home folder, go to edit > preferences > behavior tab ---> select: always open in browser windows. IIRC it's similar for KDE. In my system, if this box is unticked, I get similar behavior to you.
 
Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
terry-duell
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Fedora 31 x86_64
Posts: 505

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bridge View Post
I'm sorry - you have fedora directory server (LDAP) installed?

If you make the window sticky, it will shift workspaces with you. rt-click on the title bar and select "always on visible workspace".
I'm not sure about LDAP. When I check the Add/Remove Software tool it says that there are many packages which relate to ldap, about 3 are installed, many more not.

Quote:
Can you open two instances of this "dir window/viewer" in one workspace, then drag the extra one to another workspace?
I don't think so...not exactly sure what you mean.

Quote:
I think I get you... you mean when you left click, say, your "home folder" icon on a second workspace, if the home directory is already displayed on another workspace you get shifted there?
Yes, that is what happens, and is different to F8 behaviour. Maybe I had some other tool/app installed on F8 which allowed that behaviour, but have forgotten about it.
Quote:
Are you using gnome or kde.
In gnome - Open your home folder, go to edit > preferences > behavior tab ---> select: always open in browser windows. IIRC it's similar for KDE. In my system, if this box is unticked, I get similar behavior to you.
I'm using gnome.
If I do as you suggest, then I get a different type of window displayed, a browser window, not a normal directory viewer window. Not really the behaviour I am looking for.

As I said, maybe something else was providing the capability, but can't remember!!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Terry
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mount window dir error ufmale Linux - Newbie 1 07-02-2008 09:16 PM
ProFTPD, one dir, multiple hd's formatking Linux - Server 1 02-21-2008 10:09 PM
Running Multiple VNC viewer in same machine mathimca05 Linux - Newbie 3 12-28-2007 10:32 PM
copy 1 file to multiple dir script carpman Linux - General 14 02-07-2002 09:29 AM
Remote X window viewer Digitrac Linux - General 1 03-07-2001 09:58 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration