LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Fedora (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/)
-   -   HELP: FC3 vs FC4 woes :S (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/help-fc3-vs-fc4-woes-s-361547/)

kevingpo 09-08-2005 05:17 PM

HELP: FC3 vs FC4 woes :S
 
I've been using apt on FC3 with no problems for long time.

Just did a clean fresh install of FC4. I then try to download apt and notice:

Fedora Linux 4 (rpm 4.4.x) - not pre-configured
Fedora Linux 3 (rpm 4.3.x)

"not pre-configured" what does that mean? It's got rpm download and it installs fine too!

So I type the usual:

apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic

and it says:
[root@slave kc40]# apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package synaptic
[root@slave kc40]#


Couldn't find package? Is this what not pre-configured mean?

reddazz 09-09-2005 02:21 PM

APT is no longer supported in FC4, although you can install it and configure repositories yourself.

boxerboy 09-09-2005 02:49 PM

FC used apt? what happened to yum? my fc1 and fc4 use yum i didnt even know apt was there.

kevingpo 09-09-2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by reddazz
APT is no longer supported in FC4, although you can install it and configure repositories yourself.
So that's what the "not configured" means. Well, can I just copy some files from fc3? into fc4? How can I open up a rpm made for fc3 on a fc4?

kevingpo 09-09-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by boxerboy
FC used apt? what happened to yum? my fc1 and fc4 use yum i didnt even know apt was there.
yum had awful way of working out dependencies. apt is not part of fc distro, but i just read and found out about it at:

http://www.freshrpms.net/

apt is basically similar to yum, however what I like is the front-end for apt (called synaptics).

reddazz 09-09-2005 04:03 PM

You can configure the sources manually without installing FC3 rpms on FC4. I agree with you that apt and synaptic are great but the rpm port of apt has been neglected for a while and has problems with gpg keys so the Fedora devs decided to drop support in FC4 and totally get rid of it in FC5.

kevingpo 09-09-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by reddazz
You can configure the sources manually without installing FC3 rpms on FC4. I agree with you that apt and synaptic are great but the rpm port of apt has been neglected for a while and has problems with gpg keys so the Fedora devs decided to drop support in FC4 and totally get rid of it in FC5.

How to know what to input as repositories?

And why couldn't use fc3 version? And what are we suppose to use now? - gui one?

reddazz 09-09-2005 04:14 PM

You need to use YUM, it has a gui called yumex which you can download and install. As for apt repositories to add to FC4, search on google for that. Freshrpms, dag, newrpms, atrpms and livna are some of the good repos. There are usually instructions on their websites that show you what to do in order to use apt with their packages.

boxerboy 09-09-2005 04:28 PM

im getting fond of apts gui. i like the idea of seeing what im installing and choosing if i apted everything i wanted to install id be here for years.

kevingpo 09-10-2005 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by boxerboy
im getting fond of apts gui. i like the idea of seeing what im installing and choosing if i apted everything i wanted to install id be here for years.
I agree too.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.