LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
l1nux123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora won't boot or let me install, can you give me a tip?


Well, when i try to boot from USB and CD when i start up my laptop, it didn't get me any menu, and i cannot install / boot from desktop either? What can i do?
 
Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
yancek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Ubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 4,141

Rep: Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622
Did you set the CD drive to first boot priority in the BIOS when you tried it?
Same for the USB? More info on your hardware and details as to what exactly happens would be helpful.
 
Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
l1nux123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Did you set the CD drive to first boot priority in the BIOS when you tried it?
Same for the USB? More info on your hardware and details as to what exactly happens would be helpful.

I have no idea how to change the BIOS system, could you help me find a tutorial or something for how to set up the priority for the CD or the USB?
 
Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,543

Rep: Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677
What do you mean by did not get a menu? How did you create/burn the CD?
Did you select burn disk image or just copied the ISO file to the DVD folder and then burn? Look at the files on the CD. If all you see is a single file it was not burned correctly.

What is the make/model of your laptop?
 
Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
l1nux123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
What do you mean by did not get a menu? How did you create/burn the CD?
Did you select burn disk image or just copied the ISO file to the DVD folder and then burn? Look at the files on the CD. If all you see is a single file it was not burned correctly.

What is the make/model of your laptop?
When you input a Windows installation disc you get a menu, right? I burned all the files into a CD (Downloaded from home page), still not getting a menu to install or anything, it is all the files i dl'ed in the CD..

My laptop: HP Compaq Presario CQ56
 
Old 04-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,543

Rep: Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677Reputation: 677
I assume that your computer boots straight to windows. It would help if you provide more details on what you are doing. What file(s) did you download and from what home page i.e linuxQuestions or Fedora.
Did you verify the CD does not contain a single file with an ISO extension.

I believe you can access the BIOS setup by pressing F10 when the computer boots. You can change the boot order in the system configuration menu. Set the DVD/CD drive to boot first.
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
l1nux123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
I assume that your computer boots straight to windows. It would help if you provide more details on what you are doing. What file(s) did you download and from what home page i.e linuxQuestions or Fedora.
Did you verify the CD does not contain a single file with an ISO extension.

I believe you can access the BIOS setup by pressing F10 when the computer boots. You can change the boot order in the system configuration menu. Set the DVD/CD drive to boot first.
I downloaded Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-Desktop and it had these files: EFI (Folder), isolinux (folder), LiveOS (folder), GPL (file),
and i tried to change the BIOS thing, still didnt work!
And i did download from Fedora's homepage..
Do you have msn or something like that so we could chat more easier?
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
John VV
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,107

Rep: Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591
Quote:
I burned all the files into a CD (Downloaded from home page)
i think what you did wan make a DATA cd and did NOT "burn an iso"


try this
with MS windows running put the cd in
is there only ONE file the *.iso ( if so - it was burned wrong)

there SHOULD be a bunch about 6 in the top level

also you might want to READ the fedora docs and the install instructions
they also tell you HOW to burn an iso
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ide/index.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...tallation.html
 
Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
l1nux123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
i think what you did wan make a DATA cd and did NOT "burn an iso"


try this
with MS windows running put the cd in
is there only ONE file the *.iso ( if so - it was burned wrong)

there SHOULD be a bunch about 6 in the top level

also you might want to READ the fedora docs and the install instructions
they also tell you HOW to burn an iso
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ide/index.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...tallation.html
This did work!
Thanks!
Now i have another problem, now i cannot connect to wireless internet? That sucks! Is there any ways to boot Linux mint, when have Fedora? I cannot connect online with Fedora, but can with Mint..
 
Old 04-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
John VV
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,107

Rep: Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591Reputation: 1591
fedora is the "cutting edge" and VERY often has bugs
Also sometimes the software in fedora is SO NEW that the hardware people do not yet support it yet .
fedora is what is called " the blending edge"

it dose not always work right seeing it is normally " the newest of the new"

but wireless ? should work unless it is a broadcom usb -- some of those are MS only


it is only a matter of configuring it

did you set it up ?????

wireless dose not always " Auto" do everything for you .

see:" the User_Guide" chapter- Connecting_to_the_Internet
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/..._Internet.html
 
Old 04-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
l1nux123
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
fedora is the "cutting edge" and VERY often has bugs
Also sometimes the software in fedora is SO NEW that the hardware people do not yet support it yet .
fedora is what is called " the blending edge"

it dose not always work right seeing it is normally " the newest of the new"

but wireless ? should work unless it is a broadcom usb -- some of those are MS only


it is only a matter of configuring it

did you set it up ?????

wireless dose not always " Auto" do everything for you .

see:" the User_Guide" chapter- Connecting_to_the_Internet
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/..._Internet.html
Dude, i tried to set it up and everything, nothing worked xD
And i used fking long time to get boot till Ubuntu, but finally i made it, i'm going to download Windows 7 just in case the ubuntu is going to hell. Btw, i feel like Ubuntu is the right one linux for me anyways, thank for you'r help! i really am happy for someone to really care
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
please give the steps to install moodle in fedora 9 sawgata Linux - Newbie 4 12-21-2011 09:06 AM
Ubuntu won't boot from live CD? boid3 Ubuntu 11 04-13-2011 02:46 PM
Fedora 9 wont boot kernel on Bion notebook PC pingu23 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 5 11-29-2008 12:53 PM
LXer: Tip: Tip: Simple Regular Expressions For Reviewing Log Files LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-20-2008 12:41 PM
New motherboard won`t boot HD. AlanL Linux - Hardware 3 07-31-2008 12:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration