LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
satyahari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 1
"Fedora 12 is not booting"


Hi one and all,

I am satya, here i am facing some problems while installing Fedora 12 in my system.


Pls find the problem i am facing ,

After complete installation, it will ask for the reboot.
When I reboot,i will get the message on the screen like this,

Intel(R) Boot Agent FE V4.1.17
Copyright(c) 1997-2004,Intel corporation

Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE Base code( pxe-2.1 buil;d 084)

copyright (c) 1997-2004,Intel corporation
pxe-E61: Media test failure,check cable

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key



Note:This problem i am not getting in Fedora 9
and also i am using windows XP os.

If suitable suggestions are given how to overcome this problem i will be greatful.

Thanks and Regards,
satya
 
Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Mr-Bisquit
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Distribution: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: 68
Did you test the disk to see if it was burned correctly?
 
Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 4,070

Rep: Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897
I am not sure why PXE Boot is involved; are you trying to boot from a local CD/DVD or are you trying to boot from across a network (and is what you intended happening)?
 
Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
satyahari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Bisquit View Post
Did you test the disk to see if it was burned correctly?
Mr-Bisquit,

I checked DVD CD which s burnt correctly.
I checked this through media check
 
Old 04-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
satyahari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
I am not sure why PXE Boot is involved; are you trying to boot from a local CD/DVD or are you trying to boot from across a network (and is what you intended happening)?
hi salasi,
I am trying to boot from the local DVD disc.
 
Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
decrepit
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu10.04, < fedora12
Posts: 347

Rep: Reputation: 34
have you tried a normal boot from the hard drive?
A normal install should have put grub on the MBR
 
Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
satyahari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by decrepit View Post
have you tried a normal boot from the hard drive?
A normal install should have put grub on the MBR
hi,

Yes i tried the normal boot also but i am getting the same error
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
decrepit
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu10.04, < fedora12
Posts: 347

Rep: Reputation: 34
Just to clarify, are you saying you can still boot into windows and fedora 9????
If so how?
 
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
satyahari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by decrepit View Post
Just to clarify, are you saying you can still boot into windows and fedora 9????
If so how?
Mr.Decrepit,

When i install fedora 12 along with windows it is not booting.

when i install fedora 9 along with windows it is booting.

I want to try with another DVD fedora 12 cd ,if same problem persist there is a problem in my system,if not problem in CD right?

Thanks,
satya
 
Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
decrepit
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu10.04, < fedora12
Posts: 347

Rep: Reputation: 34
OK I've had a thought, but not sure how correct it is.
Fedora 12 now uses ext4 file system by default.
I'm not sure how your "intel boot agent" is getting into the act, but it's possible it's having problems with the ext4 file system, although that shouldn't affect the MBR.

I think you need to find out the why and what of the "intel boot agent", that's got nothing to do with fedora.
Is it part of your bios?
Grub should be the next thing you see after bios finishes.

I'd try a different linux live CD or DVD, that should be able to tell you what's happening.
 
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
satyahari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by decrepit View Post
OK I've had a thought, but not sure how correct it is.
Fedora 12 now uses ext4 file system by default.
I'm not sure how your "intel boot agent" is getting into the act, but it's possible it's having problems with the ext4 file system, although that shouldn't affect the MBR.

I think you need to find out the why and what of the "intel boot agent", that's got nothing to do with fedora.
Is it part of your bios?
Grub should be the next thing you see after bios finishes.

I'd try a different linux live CD or DVD, that should be able to tell you what's happening.
Thanks a lot Decrepit
i will check and tell with different dvd
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Quad" Booting fedora, ubuntu,opensuse and mandriva ltodd2 Linux - Newbie 5 08-19-2008 04:24 AM
Fedora 7 booting stops at "Enabling local filesystem quotas" cztsy Linux - Newbie 3 02-01-2008 06:12 AM
booting fedora "invalid compressed format (err=1)" tjcarol Linux - Desktop 1 11-01-2007 03:52 AM
Booting Puppy Linux from Fedora shows -"kernal panic error" why? senthilarumugam Puppy 1 02-23-2007 08:49 PM
Struck at "Configuring Kernel Parameters " in Fedora core 3 booting infantpapa Linux - Software 12 06-03-2005 05:42 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration