LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Fedora (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/)
-   -   FC3 font problems - accent display - renaming error (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/fc3-font-problems-accent-display-renaming-error-260203/)

tomhemba 11-28-2004 02:40 PM

FC3 font problems - accent display - renaming error
 
File and folder names using French or Spanish characters that were created in FC1 or WindowsXP don't display properly in FC3. This is true both in nautilus and konqueror. For example:

"más" is displayed as "m??s"

When I try to rename any of my existing files adding an accent I get "Renaming Error: The item could not be renamed." But this does not happen with new empty files.

Sometimes it won't let me copy files with an accent in their name although I haven't been able to isolate when this happens and when it doesn't.


Is there any way that I can get it to display filenames written in WindowsXP and FC1 properly??? This is really driving me nuts!

Kropotkin 11-29-2004 07:22 PM

Re: FC3 font problems - accent display - renaming error
 
I have also encountered this problem, although I have had no difficulties renaming files with proper accents in a Nautilus window. It is a known issue and the situation will only resolve itself when other operating systems adopt Unicode, as Fedora has. See this listing in Bugzila: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=100934

To clean up filenames, you can use this command-line tool, convmv: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html

Hope this helps.

tomhemba 12-01-2004 11:21 PM

Thanks for your response.

If I convert all the files to the linux filename encoding then they will read incorrectly in Windows (I use a dual-boot machine.) Imagine the mess on a network. This sounds like a pretty fundamental incompatibility between Windows and LInux.

Do you know if Windows is planning to start using UTF-8? Is there any way that I can just set gnome to use the same ecodings as windows? Is this a copyright/closed source issue?

FunkyRes 12-02-2004 02:29 AM

Windows already supports utf8
As far as filesystem naming - that I don't know.

Kropotkin 12-02-2004 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tomhemba

If I convert all the files to the linux filename encoding then they will read incorrectly in Windows (I use a dual-boot machine.) Imagine the mess on a network. This sounds like a pretty fundamental incompatibility between Windows and LInux. [/B]
I don't have windows, so I can't give you a definitive answer, but if I were you I would try a couple of files to see what happens.

Quote:

Do you know if Windows is planning to start using UTF-8? Is there any way that I can just set gnome to use the same ecodings as windows? Is this a copyright/closed source issue?
Well, you could try changing the LANG variable in a terminal window. But in any case, Unicode is a public standard and eventually should become ubiquitous.

tomhemba 12-03-2004 12:43 AM

After poking around and doing some more testing I just realized that I get the renaming error only on my vfat partitions. In other words, I'm not able to write special characters at all on my vfat partitions which is where all my personal files, music collection, etc are so that I can share them between Windows and LInux. Perhaps this is just a simple bug because I was at least able to write special characters in filenames on vfat before in FC1 or maybe vfat doesn't support the new encodings.

juannicolas 01-08-2005 09:35 PM

Re: FC3 font problems - accent display - renaming error
 
Quote:

Originally posted by tomhemba
File and folder names using French or Spanish characters that were created in FC1 or WindowsXP don't display properly in FC3. This is true both in nautilus and konqueror. For example:

"más" is displayed as "m??s"

When I try to rename any of my existing files adding an accent I get "Renaming Error: The item could not be renamed." But this does not happen with new empty files.

Sometimes it won't let me copy files with an accent in their name although I haven't been able to isolate when this happens and when it doesn't.


Is there any way that I can get it to display filenames written in WindowsXP and FC1 properly??? This is really driving me nuts!

tomhemba

I'm having the same problem, i have windows 2k pro machine and i transfer via ftp all my mp3's to my FC3 desktop and all those mp3's that have accent characters in windows as for example:

windows PC : 01 Vinito Pa'L Corazón.mp3

Fedora Core3 (2.6.9-1.724_FC3 Kernel): 01 Vinito Pa'L Coraz?n.mp3 (invalid Unicode)


Have you got any luck with this? Because i'm not wiling to rename a 72G mp3's folder :S

i know this is different from you'r problem because you are reading them from the same PC different partition. but if you have anything to share with me that i can work with i will appreciate.

THX

tomhemba 01-15-2005 01:28 PM

No I haven't been able to solve this in FC3. Here's a summary of my experiences (in all cases I'm referring to accents written in the filenames)

FC3: FC3 doesn't display accents written in Windows properly. FC3 can't write accents at all to a FAT32 partition nor can it copy a file with accents in it to a FAT32 partition which pretty much kills my dual boot machine. I've stopped using linux altogether (at least for the moment) because of this issue combined with a couple of others.

Kanotix: For this issue Kanotix works great! Kanotix can display accents written in Windows and Windows can display accents written in Kanotix.

Ubuntu: Ubuntu can display accents written in Windows and it can write accents to a FAT32 partition, but Windows can't display the accents written in Ubuntu. I think this will be solved in the next release of Ubuntu because they are switching to (I think it's called UTF-8 but I'd really prefer not to know).

OK. Well I hope you have better luck than me.

tomhemba 01-17-2005 03:33 PM

Problem solved. I reported this as a bug to bugzilla and they gave me an easy fix. Go check out:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=145233


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.