LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
sandgroper
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Perth , Western Australia
Distribution: Fedora Core 5 , Mint 9
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 15
FC3 - Another nVidia problem.


I have a problem with installing the 6629 nVidia drivers.
I have checked out the other threads in the forum and they have briefly mentioned the same problem that I have , but there is no solution.

I installed FC3 by doing an upgrade from FC2 -> FC3 , the upgrade went good with only a few minor problems , I installed the newer 6629 nVidia driver as with the recommended instructions and with the usual error problem with the rivafb error message and eveything is fine except that I can't use the OpenGl screen savers in a user mode , like Atlantis , Gears , GLPlanet ...etc and as well as some of the games like Tux and Chromium.
These secren savers were working fine until I did the upgrade to FC3 and installed the 6629 driver.

With the secren savers I keep getting the error message :
Error : Could not open /dev/nvidiact1 because the permission are too restrictive. Please see the FAQs in section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.O/README
--------------------------
Some of the things that I have done are :

1) uninstalled and reinstalled the nVidia driver twice

2) checked and re-edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3) followed the troubleshooting steps in the nVidia documentation

4) copied the all the nvidia files in /dev/nvidia to /etc/udev/devices

5) chown to root for all files in /etc/udev/devices

6) used modprobe before installing the nVidia driver


7) checked the installation by using the -- sane option with the nVidia installer , everything checks out OK.

8 ) checked to see if all the relevant nVidia files are installed .

Basically what it appears is that there is no OpenGl files installed and the nVidia documentation says that there should be 5 nVidia files in the /dev directory , nvidia0 ............ nvidia3 and nvidiact1 , I have 9 entries , nvidia0 ....... nvidia7 , nvidiact1 and nvidia1

I have also check settings by using the nvidia-settings command , there is nothing in there to change or add to get the OpenGl working.

So has anybody got any ideas of how to fix this problem.

Thanks.

System specs
cpu P3 1 Ghz
mobo Asus TUSL2-C
ram 512Mb
hdd hda - 40 Gb Seagate barracuda , hdd - 40 Gb Seagate barracuda
video card Leadtek GF4 Mx 440
set-up duel boot FC3/windows 98SE
 
Old 02-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
Thoreau
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: /var/log/cabin
Distribution: All
Posts: 1,167

Rep: Reputation: 45
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2005-01-29 16:36 nvidia0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia00
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 1 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia01
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 2 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia02
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 3 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia03
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 1 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 2 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 3 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 4 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 5 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 6 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 7 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia7
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2005-01-29 16:36 nvidiactl

Compare and contrast.
 
Old 02-04-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
sandgroper
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Perth , Western Australia
Distribution: Fedora Core 5 , Mint 9
Posts: 118

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoreau
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2005-01-29 16:36 nvidia0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia00
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 1 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia01
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 2 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia02
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 3 2004-10-02 04:38 nvidia03
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 1 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 2 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 3 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 4 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 5 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 6 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 7 2005-01-29 16:29 nvidia7
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2005-01-29 16:36 nvidiactl

Compare and contrast.
OK , here is my listing for the /etc/udev/devices directory

--------------------------------

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 0 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 1 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 2 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 3 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 4 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 5 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 6 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 7 Feb 3 15:51 nvidia7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 255 Feb 3 15:51 nvidiactl

--------------------------------------
It looks like I have the same files / permissions as you for the 6629 driver , except for the last entry for the nvidiact1 file , I have crw-rw-rw- while you have crw-rw---- and the owner on my listing is root.root instead of root.video like on yours.

I tried to change the ownership to root.video but I kept getting the error message " invalid group"

Got any ideas of how to change the ownership back to root.video ?

Those extra files that you have , have different dates , which means that they could be left over from a previous installation.

Thanks.
 
Old 02-04-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
Thoreau
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: /var/log/cabin
Distribution: All
Posts: 1,167

Rep: Reputation: 45
You can just make that group, add your user to it and
chgrp video /dev/nvidiactl

I'm using Suse 9.2 Pro for this setting. But a group is just a group. You can pick any name.
 
Old 02-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
sandgroper
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Perth , Western Australia
Distribution: Fedora Core 5 , Mint 9
Posts: 118

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoreau
You can just make that group, add your user to it and
chgrp video /dev/nvidiactl

I'm using Suse 9.2 Pro for this setting. But a group is just a group. You can pick any name.
I posted a reply earlier , but it hasn't shown up.

I did what you suggested about creating a goup and adding users and it's still the same , the OpenGl screensavers still won't work in user mode as well as 2 games , Chromium and Tux Racer.


So what I did was to completly uninstall the video driver using the nVidia installer package and then removed all reference to the drivers in /dev and /etc/udev/devices , then I edited the file /etc/rc.local and added the line /sbin/modprobe nvidia so that when I rebooted , the machine would detect the video card again.

Then I re-installed the nVidia drivers again , copied the nvidia files from /dev to /etc/udev/devices and got exactly the same result as before , same files , same problem with the screensavers and game in user mode.
Everything else works fine for all other applications , starting up and shuting down .... etc in /root or user mode , it just the screen savers and some games in user mode that is the problem.

I also re-read the nVidia README file with the troubleshooting section , Apendix C , and I tried to use the utilities they mentioned , Idd and Idconfig to check the simlinks , but I couldn't get them to work , either by the command at the prompt in text and terminal mode as well as trying to use it as a switch with the nVidia installer package.
There is also no mention of these 2 utilites in the man pages.

So now I am at exactly at where I was before , stuffed if I know how to get the screensavers and the games working in user mode.

Have you got any other suggestions ?
Anybody else ?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by sandgroper; 02-04-2005 at 07:55 AM.
 
Old 02-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
sandgroper
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Perth , Western Australia
Distribution: Fedora Core 5 , Mint 9
Posts: 118

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
***** FOUND SOLUTION *****

Quote:
Originally posted by sandgroper
I have a problem with installing the 6629 nVidia drivers.
I have checked out the other threads in the forum and they have briefly mentioned the same problem that I have , but there is no solution.

I installed FC3 by doing an upgrade from FC2 -> FC3 , the upgrade went good with only a few minor problems , I installed the newer 6629 nVidia driver as with the recommended instructions and with the usual error problem with the rivafb error message and eveything is fine except that I can't use the OpenGl screen savers in a user mode , like Atlantis , Gears , GLPlanet ...etc and as well as some of the games like Tux and Chromium.
These secren savers were working fine until I did the upgrade to FC3 and installed the 6629 driver.

With the secren savers I keep getting the error message :
--------------------------------
Error : Could not open /dev/nvidiact1 because the permission are too restrictive. Please see the FAQs in section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.O/README
---------------------------------
***** FOUND SOLUTION *****

I have found the solution to my problem , thanks to somebody on the nVidia forum web site.
His suggestion was for an similar problem so I tried it and it works without any side effects.

The solution is to change the root permissions for nvidia in the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions , in the section:

dri devices

change the entry:

nvidia*:root:root:0660
To
nviidia*:root:root:0666

Reboot the system and everything works fine.
 
Old 02-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
willcox
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Mexico
Distribution: FC 4
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: 15
thx! one number resolves everything!
 
Old 02-13-2005, 02:39 AM   #8
misc
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Distribution: Red Hat + Fedora
Posts: 1,084

Rep: Reputation: 54
Why switch to livna.org's Nvidia driver RPM?
http://rpm.livna.org/livna-switcher.html
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FC3 NVidia UT2004 problem Imploded Pariah Linux - Software 2 04-11-2005 11:25 AM
FC3, NVIDIA, Just messed Up Jimbo99 Linux - Software 7 02-11-2005 07:26 PM
weird network problem with FC3 install and nvidia gavacho Fedora - Installation 1 01-06-2005 07:00 AM
nvidia driver problem on FC3 greg108 Fedora 3 12-14-2004 11:56 AM
FC3 nvidia 6629driver Hyakutake Fedora 9 11-20-2004 09:53 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration