LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
kushalkoolwal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Middle of nowhere
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 1,249

Rep: Reputation: 49
Xorg(backport) + GNOME(stable)


hi,

I would like to install Xorg(backport) and GNOME from standard stable debian repo. Is this possible? Does anyone have any kind of experience with such a situation.

Basically Xorg(backport) + GNOME(stable) on base install of Debain(stable).

Thanks
 
Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,618

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalkoolwal
hi,

I would like to install Xorg(backport) and GNOME from standard stable debian repo. Is this possible? Does anyone have any kind of experience with such a situation.

Basically Xorg(backport) + GNOME(stable) on base install of Debain(stable).

Thanks
Looks like Backports.org has at least Xorg 6.8 for stable there you may want to do more checking than I did to see if they have 6.9 there so with a line in sources.list for it you should be able to get both installed.
 
Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
kushalkoolwal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Middle of nowhere
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 1,249

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTux
Looks like Backports.org has at least Xorg 6.8 for stable there you may want to do more checking than I did to see if they have 6.9 there so with a line in sources.list for it you should be able to get both installed.
Thanks for the info. How do I have sure that GNOME is installed from Backport and not from Stable. DO I have to comment by stable source line in sources.lst file,add the backports.org source line and then do apt-get update apt-get install xserver-xorg xserver-common xfonts-base gnome-core??


Thanks
 
Old 02-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,618

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalkoolwal
Thanks for the info. How do I have sure that GNOME is installed from Backport and not from Stable. DO I have to comment by stable source line in sources.lst file,add the backports.org source line and then do apt-get update apt-get install xserver-xorg xserver-common xfonts-base gnome-core??


Thanks
That sounds reasonable you may want to add -s for a simulation to see what it will do first then proceed with the install.
 
Old 02-12-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
kushalkoolwal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Middle of nowhere
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 1,249

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
I installed Xorg from the backports.org. And Gnome from stable repo. Also I had to install the xfonts-base from the stable repo. So is there any possibility that my debian system will break if I contine to download packaged from stable repo from here onwards.

Will I be able to give commands like

apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

without breaking any packages.??

Has anyone tried this before?
 
Old 02-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,618

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalkoolwal
I installed Xorg from the backports.org. And Gnome from stable repo. Also I had to install the xfonts-base from the stable repo. So is there any possibility that my debian system will break if I contine to download packaged from stable repo from here onwards.

Will I be able to give commands like

apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

without breaking any packages.??

Has anyone tried this before?
Many people use backports every day without problems you should be okay. When you upgrade/dist-upgrade everything should work as before only packages which have been upgraded on the backport site should be upgraded or security updates assuming you have that in the sources.list will be installed the packages you got from backports are built for stable and should cause no problems.
 
Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
kushalkoolwal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Middle of nowhere
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 1,249

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTux
Many people use backports every day without problems you should be okay. When you upgrade/dist-upgrade everything should work as before only packages which have been upgraded on the backport site should be upgraded or security updates assuming you have that in the sources.list will be installed the packages you got from backports are built for stable and should cause no problems.
Ok, I am been using GNOME(stable) with Xorg(backports). Also is it ok if I have both the repo added to the sources.lst file? Here is my sources.lst file that I am currently using.

Code:
#For-Packages from CD-ROM 
#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

#Stable
deb 	http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian sarge main contrib 
deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian sarge main contrib

#Testing
#deb     http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian etch main contrib
#deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian etch main contrib

#Unstable
#deb     http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian sid main contrib
#deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian sid main contrib

#Backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main

#For Security patches
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
Please let me know if I need to comment the backports.org repo???

Thanks
 
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,618

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
It should do no harm leaving it in there but if wish to receive no updated or new packages from there then by all means comment it out. Your packages that you have already installed will simply stay at the version they are now.
 
Old 02-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #9
or1onas
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Athens,Greece
Distribution: Debian,Ubuntu
Posts: 181

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalkoolwal
I installed Xorg from the backports.org. And Gnome from stable repo. Also I had to install the xfonts-base from the stable repo. So is there any possibility that my debian system will break if I contine to download packaged from stable repo from here onwards.

Will I be able to give commands like

apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

without breaking any packages.??

Has anyone tried this before?
I had the same question and i just found this article:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...pt-get.en.html

Check 3.8 section. I think it might help you.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unstable xorg with stable gdm kushalkoolwal Debian 7 02-04-2006 07:00 PM
How to start KDE or GNOME (Debian STABLE) Micro420 Debian 2 09-22-2005 07:15 PM
troubles with Stable GARnome and Gnome 2.8 Xavius Slackware 15 02-03-2005 07:19 PM
FC3-Stable Can't burn CD's in Kde, but can in Gnome mickeyboa Fedora 3 11-10-2004 05:13 PM
Do stable version Debian can using the KDE 3.2, Gnome 2.6, Apache 2.x etc? explorer1979 Debian 3 06-20-2004 10:03 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration